Thread: HW45 qeustion

HW45 qeustion

hi, just got me self a new hw45 for christmas, been wanting one of thease since i was a kid and finally got one today new from my local gun shop, im very happy with it indeed but theres some thng about it thats begining to frustrate me and im woundering if any one else who has one does the same as mine.
    ok i zero,d in the sights over ten yards using the full power cocking stroke , accuracy great getting extreamly tight groups center of target then i used the lower power cocking stroke , again extreamly tight groups but impacting target 2 inches above center , i re zero,d sights and got tight groups agian dead center target then i went back to using full power cocking and groupings droped 2 inches below center ? i could understand the shots dropping when sights zero,d in for full power then go to using low power but not the other way round , just woundering if any one else has this problem with the hw45 and is this normal ? im not greatly botherd about it as im pritty happy just using the gun at full power and leaving the sights set up for that , i just find it weird that it should shoot lower on target at full power and not the other way round.
    also any pellet advice or advice in general about the pistol will be much apreceated , oh and its a .22 cal
    cheers.

It's completely normal, and unfortunately there's probably not much you can do about it. The piston travels further on the high power setting, so the recoil characteristics are different. The pellet exits the muzzle at a different point.

Best thing is to decide which setting to use and zero for that.

Oh, and if you can get consistent tight groups with an HW45 it's a good indicator of shooting ability
    Last edited by Adam77K; 24-12-2010 at 06:03 PM.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by tbonesnake View Post
    , oh and its a .22 cal
    cheers.
    Ah, The Man's Caliber
    Excellent choice of pistol, sounds like you can shoot it already too!
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

A more loopy flight path on low power which causes the pellet to impact higher than full power

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by targetmark View Post
    A more loopy flight path on low power which causes the pellet to impact higher than full power
    Wouldn't a loopy trajectory cause a spread group?

HW $% Ooops! caps lock off 45

On high power the pellet exits the barrel faster giving a flatter trajectory, thereby lower

If you should get to shoot Pistol HFT or the like, set up for ten yards, between ten and sixteen yards aim a little lower as the pellet will climb,

eighteen to twenty five yards aim a little higher as the pellet is now starting to drop,

These amazing pistols are good for fifty yards,

Mine loved RWS Superdomes, but I cannot stress strongly enough that it will be pellet to barrel, each barrel has it's own characteristics,

for me the pellet that gives the best group at fifteen yards freestanding stance,

Is The Winnah!

Have Fun Mate,

Bernard.

cheers lads thanks for the info , just couldent get me head round the fact it shot lower on full power but it all makes sence now. Decided to set the sights for full power use as i find it easier to just cock it for full rather than cock it for less power and it dosent seem any harder to keep it on target on full power , i think maybe using a px4 storm for a few years has come in handy for shooting me hw45, got used to having a lot of recoil when shooting. I was using rws super domes and it did seem to like em but i made a bit of a shock discovery today , i ran out of rws domes and the only pellets i had at hand were a half tub of cheapo bulldogs the £4.50 for 500 ones , i figured ok grouping will be impossible but so what ill just have some plinking fun , anyways cut a long story short did a bit target work and found the bulldogs were grouping a tad better than the rws , there was the odd zinger but 90% of the time they grouped real nice indeed i was real suprised.
    anyways im loving the pistol definatly a nice bit of kit and onc again thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Wouldn't a loopy trajectory cause a spread group?
    Don't see how a lower power/loopy trajectory would spread the group if shot at the same range on the same low power,POI would be the same.POI would change on high power at the same range due to the pellet flying flatter and hit lower as stated previously

Quote Originally Posted by targetmark View Post
    Don't see how a lower power/loopy trajectory would spread the group if shot at the same range on the same low power,POI would be the same.POI would change on high power at the same range due to the pellet flying flatter and hit lower as stated previously
    You don't mean loopy then?
    There's nothing loopy about a parabola
    ATB,
    Nick

BigEars Guest
    Congratulation! A fine choice of pistol and calibre. Mine quite likes 0.22 hobbys. Be sure to check out the UBC on line comp.

hw45

I have 177 version and it does the same thing, although I dont adjust the sight I merely aim a little higher or lower, same as I would for windage (side to side) you can also change barrels on hw45 from 22 to 177 and vice versa to

great pistol (imo).
    i always use mine on high power. you soon get used to cocking it & it's not much harder to do than the low power anyway.

i find mine feels better to shoot with the rubber grips too.

a lot of people find that the breach seal gets chewed after a while.
    if you need any i sometimes sell them in the for sale section for cheap.

have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by 40apple40 View Post
    great pistol (imo).
    i always use mine on high power. you soon get used to cocking it & it's not much harder to do than the low power anyway.

i find mine feels better to shoot with the rubber grips too.

a lot of people find that the breach seal gets chewed after a while.
    if you need any i sometimes sell them in the for sale section for cheap.

have fun.
    cheers , ill keep that in mind for when i need new seals , it came with a couple of replacement seals in the box and ive been making sure to seat the pellets firmly and putting a drop of silicone oil on the seal after shooting so hopefully wont need to do a seal replacement for a long while. Its definatly one hell of an air pistol , built like a tank and its accuracy has amased me , once in a while managing to pull off some single ragged hole groups at ten meters using a two handed hold , tis a truely excellent pistol for a springer.

only problem i had on mine was the safety catch came lose.as stated it is a 50 yard gun,but you have to aim about a foot high at that distance

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesnake View Post
    cheers , ill keep that in mind for when i need new seals , it came with a couple of replacement seals in the box and ive been making sure to seat the pellets firmly and putting a drop of silicone oil on the seal after shooting so hopefully wont need to do a seal replacement for a long while. Its definatly one hell of an air pistol , built like a tank and its accuracy has amased me , once in a while managing to pull off some single ragged hole groups at ten meters using a two handed hold , tis a truely excellent pistol for a springer.
    i think pellet choice is important. some pellets do protrude a little from the breach.