Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a decent BP revolver

Is this a decent BP revolver

Hello,

I am considering getting a BP revolver and wondered if this was reasonable one: PIETTA REMINGTON INOX 44. There is a steel version for 100 euros less is it worth the difference for stainless?. Any known problems? The other gun I am considering is the REVOLVER UBERTI 1858 NEW ARMY IMPROVED 44.

Cant believe these are for sale without licence(in France)!! I assume they are as powerful as the originals.

Many thanks for your thoughts
    Air Arms S200 in .22, BSA Ultra in.22, BSA S10BB full length in .177, HW57 in .177,Want a TX200 and maybe a Prosport

i presume its the same as my remington 1858 stainless so the answer is yes....they are not for the big handed person but a great pistol....they are better out there like the ruger old army or a spencer and rogers but a lot worse too.....as for being as powerful as the originals......answer is yes.identical

Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post
    Hello,

Cant believe these are for sale without licence(in France)!! I assume they are as powerful as the originals.

Many thanks for your thoughts
    I have been told that blackpowder guns are sold in toyshops in France, if they are looked on as toys then you would not need a license.
    I have also been told that .22"rf does not need a license as well.
    It would be interesting if you could confirm this.

Happy New Year.

The stainless is less of a worry it will rust if you don't clean properly especially if using Pyrodex. If you can get the version with the target sights you will get more satisfaction out of it, and can set it up easier than aiming off etc. Though saying that my other pistol is a Colt (Pietta) 1862 sheriff in .36 and at 20M its spot on (no need to aim off left or right) with 16 grains (volume not weight) of Pyrodex.

I have the Euroarms s/s target sights Remington NMA in .44 and others I shoot with have had the Pietta version no difference in quality I found, I think the Euroarms is copied exactly i.e. size of grips to the original, as the Piettas I have used the grips seemed wider, this is an advantage if you have big paws.

A friend of mine had the Uberti version Remington which I would have expected to be better in finish, however the fitting of the grips to metal was very poor and it also had file marks on it. The pistol shot fine though.

Seems strange that France has no licence laws concerning these pistols as they are as deadly as the day they were invented.

Thank you all for the replies. I am reassured that the Pietta is well made as for some reason I had doubts. I would prefer a 36 calibre just for the economics and the reduced recoil.

As for the French, well they allow 22 Lr rifles with just a notification to the local authorities, however 22lr pistols are only on licence. Black powder is not sold as a toy but is the same as airrifles in the UK ie over 18 anything goes. What a civilised place it is

I cant believe that the nanny state missed them when they banned hand guns!!

Once again thanks for the guidance.
    Air Arms S200 in .22, BSA Ultra in.22, BSA S10BB full length in .177, HW57 in .177,Want a TX200 and maybe a Prosport

As for the French, well they allow 22 Lr rifles with just a notification to the local authorities, however 22lr pistols are only on licence.

I have several BP pistols (see my sig) including a Pietta Remy Buffalo with 12" barrel in inox.
    I feel much better about submerging it in soapy water being inox than I do for the others
    It still goes totally against the grain to stick a weapon in a bucket of water!!!
    The 12" barrel is very accurate as well;

You are wrong about the 22lr rifles bit though. It used to be as you say but for some time now you need a shooting licence (need to join a club & apply for licence) or a hunting licence (need to take a test & apply) to buy the weapon.
    Then declare it to the prefecture (if bought from a shop the shop does this)
    You then have to keep up membership to remain legal or get rid of guns.These licences also cover you for center fire rifles in 'hunting calibers'.

I will get my pistol licence cat 4 (basically anything up to, not including, 9mm)& my 'anything else' cat 1 after 6 months in the club

Dave

Dave is right, i forgot to mention that you must be a member of a club, which is not a problem as there are quite a few here. The system is excellent as far as I am concerned, it ensures sport shooting is accessible to all under controlled conditions and hunting can only be undertaken by those who have been trained. what more could you ask.

I say you chaps in France, are metallic cartridge fullbore handguns still legal over there? I ask as France is only a swim away from me

And I get a £1 crossing throught the Chunnel which saves my arms a bit

Finally any pistol clubs near Calais?
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

If you have the appropriate licence and are a member of a club you can own pretty much any revolver semi auto pistol that takes your fancy. My three boys have recently fired a rather nice 357 and a number of 9mm revolvers and semi autos. I am afraid I am no where near Calais but for clubs etc try asking at :

http://www.fusil-calais.com/

they seem very helpful if a little expensive.

Let us know how you get on.

If you Google Federation Francaise de Tir (FFTir) you should find a list of clubs somewhere. I joined in September which is the beginning of the club year. After a paying fees (142€) & range safety test (multiple choice & they supply the paperwork to learn, but in French!) I got a provisional licence de tir (shooting licence) Few weeks later got full licence with which I can buy FAC air rifles, 22lr rifles & center fire rifles in hunting calibers.
    After 6 months , Licence 4th category , pistols 22lr up to (not incl) 9mm & 1st cat other pistols & rifles (army calibers)
    Met some really nice guys (& a few women) & have spent a LOT of money on 22's & BP;
    Already picked out a few pistols for February

db

france

That is interesting reading about france but if any of you guys are going over could you fetch me back 1 of the of set .22 moderators so i can use with open sights that would be handy.

regards

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Black powders guns, whether antique or reproduction, along with air guns, regardless of power level, aren't regulated by federal law in the US either: although state and local law may say otherwise.

My hometown of Philadelphia, for example, completely bans the sale and possession of air guns and BB guns.

Ironically, the City of Philadelphia is located in the State of Pennsylvania, which is not only a "shall issue" state for concealed weapons permits, but also has a pre-emptive law, preventing its municipalities from regulating firearms.

But since airguns aren't "firearms", as defined by Pennsylvania law, the pre-emptive law doesn't stop Philadelphia from banning airguns.

So if you're a law-abiding adult resident of Philadelphia, you can get a permit from the state enabling you to legally walk the streets with a 15 shot 9mm under your coat: but you can't legally have a Daisy Red Ryder in your closet.

You figure it out!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Wow and I thought the UK laws were weird! are there any figures comparing gun crimes in each of the states, if so are the restricted states more or less likely to suffer crime? It would be interesting to see.

As for the black powder I finally went for the Pietta 1858 confederate. I know its got a brass chasis but I only want it to have a go as I have my eye on the remington stainless target if all goes well with this one. The price of 165 euros also played a part in my decision.

Interference

Quote Originally Posted by john paul View Post

Seems strange that France has no licence laws concerning these pistols as they are as deadly as the day they were invented.
    They obviously have no problems with them - but then again they are not as influenced by the good old USA as we (especially our yoof) are.

Our government have repeatedly tried to get France to restrict these pistols and I think you'll find that retailers near the ports will refuse to sell one to someone who is obviously from across la manche.

You also need a licence to buy bullets, I used to get lead 148 gn HBWC from France but they won't sell them to me now.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Wow and I thought the UK laws were weird! are there any figures comparing gun crimes in each of the states, if so are the restricted states more or less likely to suffer crime? It would be interesting to see.

As for the black powder I finally went for the Pietta 1858 confederate. I know its got a brass chasis but I only want it to have a go as I have my eye on the remington stainless target if all goes well with this one. The price of 165 euros also played a part in my decision.
    There's a book entitled "More Guns, Less Crime", which I admit that I haven't read, which, as I understand, draws the conclusion that violent crime has dropped in those stages that have made their concealed carry permits "shall issue", like drivers' licenses: and that the drop either hasn't occurred, or hasn't been as significant, in those states that either refuse to issue concealed weapons permits, or which issue them only at the discretion of the police.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone