Thread: Is this a decent BP revolver

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Black powders guns, whether antique or reproduction, along with air guns, regardless of power level, aren't regulated by federal law in the US either: although state and local law may say otherwise.

My hometown of Philadelphia, for example, completely bans the sale and possession of air guns and BB guns.

Ironically, the City of Philadelphia is located in the State of Pennsylvania, which is not only a "shall issue" state for concealed weapons permits, but also has a pre-emptive law, preventing its municipalities from regulating firearms.

But since airguns aren't "firearms", as defined by Pennsylvania law, the pre-emptive law doesn't stop Philadelphia from banning airguns.

So if you're a law-abiding adult resident of Philadelphia, you can get a permit from the state enabling you to legally walk the streets with a 15 shot 9mm under your coat: but you can't legally have a Daisy Red Ryder in your closet.

You figure it out!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Wow and I thought the UK laws were weird! are there any figures comparing gun crimes in each of the states, if so are the restricted states more or less likely to suffer crime? It would be interesting to see.

As for the black powder I finally went for the Pietta 1858 confederate. I know its got a brass chasis but I only want it to have a go as I have my eye on the remington stainless target if all goes well with this one. The price of 165 euros also played a part in my decision.
    Air Arms S200 in .22, BSA Ultra in.22, BSA S10BB full length in .177, HW57 in .177,Want a TX200 and maybe a Prosport

Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post
    Wow and I thought the UK laws were weird! are there any figures comparing gun crimes in each of the states, if so are the restricted states more or less likely to suffer crime? It would be interesting to see.

As for the black powder I finally went for the Pietta 1858 confederate. I know its got a brass chasis but I only want it to have a go as I have my eye on the remington stainless target if all goes well with this one. The price of 165 euros also played a part in my decision.
    There's a book entitled "More Guns, Less Crime", which I admit that I haven't read, which, as I understand, draws the conclusion that violent crime has dropped in those stages that have made their concealed carry permits "shall issue", like drivers' licenses: and that the drop either hasn't occurred, or hasn't been as significant, in those states that either refuse to issue concealed weapons permits, or which issue them only at the discretion of the police.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post
    Wow and I thought the UK laws were weird!
    Try walking into a US gun store and telling them you want to buy a silencer, or a rifle with a 12 inch barrel that's 24 inches long overall, and watch the reaction you get!

Philadelphia is also the only place on earth, to my knowledge, that has a total ban on knife carrying. There are exceptions for work, ceremonial, or recreational purposes: but otherwise, all possession of knives on the public street or in any public place is prohibited.

This applies to: on the person, in a vehicle, concealed, carried openly, fixed blade, folder, locking, non-locking, switchblades, 6 inch blade, 1 inch blade: whatever.

Jim