Thread: .22 Cal' Original Model 50 Question.

Question .22 Cal' Original Model 50 Question.

I have an Original model 50 in about 98% original finish plus new spring,piston seal and lube.The bore is perfect the cylinder also however I am able to get no more than six and a half ftlbs out of it.Wasps perform the best.The tap is one of ther best sealing taps I have ever had on a rifle of this design.I do notice however when a pellet is placed into the open tap that the pellet falls straight to the bottom of the tap leaving an appreciable air space behind it once the tap is closed.Could this be the cause of the low power?Can anyone who owns an Original model 50 in .22 cal' please let me know how far into the tap the pellet seats on their rifle and anyone whith greater knowledge of these rifles please offer a suggestion.Many thanks in advance.

.22 pellets

A 5.5mm pellet has a 5.5mm head diameter and will drop into the breech. A 5.6mm pellet has a 5.6mm head diameter
    The tail/skirt diameter can vary from 5.70mm up to 5.88mm or occassionally more depending on the make of pellet
    hold me back !!

Try 0.22 Superdomes in it.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Hi,

Are the Wasp's "Eley" Wasp's or the New one's ..Because if they are the new one's they are inferior, TRY Air Arms ...JSB or H&N...Or even old ELEY if you can find them...

Regard's

Inproved

'50

Hiya,
    sorry to hear of your problems. I have a '50 dated early 1980s and two Type 01s and cannot recall a seating issue with any of them-but I dont shoot them that regularly so if you can bear with me I will check. As has been said though it does sound as if you need to consider an ammo change?
    I know my .22 Type01 has quite a poor seal at the tap and with a moderate spring is making near 10 ft llbs. My older 50 in .22 is near 12. The .177 Type 01 is (I think) around 10. Dont think these were ever power houses, but with a little bit of tinkering and a sound action they should achieve the limit? I've gone over to ptfe with the piston head on two of the above three however.

Will try and post back here soon.
    Best regards,
    Dave