Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: most accurate pellet at long range 50 - 150 yards?

most accurate pellet at long range 50 - 150 yards?

most accurate pellet at long range 50 - 150 yards?
    JSB Exact 15.9 grain .22
    or
    Air Arms Diablo Field 16 grain (so i am told?) .22
    5.50?
    or
    5.51?
    or
    5.52?

what size?
    what brand?
    is more accurate. I am looking for absolute accuarcy.

shot between 28-33 ft/lb

preferably in a daystate barrel as i have an airwolf mvt fac rated .22

i want to find the best pellet and stick to it as i estimate it is one of the above.

if anyone has actual experinece of this it would be much appreciated.
    ones first though would be to go for the 5.52 size as with a high power rifles the extra diametre friction in the barrel is overcome with the high power (i am shooting these at the moment with very good results) but want to know for sure if these are the most accurate, want to push the bounderies and want to find the most accurate solution.

I will be trying the above over the coming weeks in my own barrel after cleaning but i also would like to get an idea of what others are finding with a similar setup which might save me buying all the above pellets in quantity.

I'm getting some excellent results from my FAC MkIV with 18-grain Air Arms Field Plus, though I haven't tried them beyond 125 yards.

They retain energy better than the 16-grainers and seem very consistent.

Daniel the upper end of your range requirement is quite frankly far too much for ANY air rifle other than playing with inanimate targets. It is too much for a .22LR so getting your range down to more usual distances-80 yards maximum in still conditions, MUCH less in the wind- I would test between Bisley Magnum-heavy but extremely well made and stable-the AA Field probably 5.52 would be the best starting point-and the H & N FTT 14.7 grain. As you have an MVT you can dial in the MV and then the rifle should take care of different pellet weights. I'd start at 850 ft sec and increase by 25 ft sec increments and see how you go.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Following Nick's post, I feel I should also make clear that, in view of the ranges cited, I had assumed we were talking about inanimate targets!

Re. Bisley Magnums, I find they're just too heavy so the penalty in MV isn't made up for by better ballistics further out. They also don't group as well out of my rifle as the AAF+s. I can't adjust the MV as you can on an Air Wolf, however, so this may not apply here.

BisMags are good in the right barrel but beyond say 50 yards I wouldn't want to be dealing with the trajectory that their weight gives, even at 30 fpe power level.
    Most JSB/Daystate/AA field variants are generally the most accurate pellet around for any barrel and/or MV. As has already been said, beyond 80 yards in range is really rimfire/centrefire territory.

jonezy25 is offline Over 1200 posts and still haven't got one
    Air arms fields 18 grains will take some beating mate.

.22 Eley Magnums hold their path better than diabolo pellets at long range. Unfortunately they don't work in many rifles and are now astronomical in price.

Quote Originally Posted by lionel View Post
    .22 Eley Magnums hold their path better than diabolo pellets at long range. Unfortunately they don't work in many rifles and are now astronomical in price.
    And need one hell of a kick up the harris to get them to fly as flat as an 18 grainer!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    Following Nick's post, I feel I should also make clear that, in view of the ranges cited, I had assumed we were talking about inanimate targets!

Re. Bisley Magnums, I find they're just too heavy so the penalty in MV isn't made up for by better ballistics further out. They also don't group as well out of my rifle as the AAF+s. I can't adjust the MV as you can on an Air Wolf, however, so this may not apply here.
    are you using 5.52 mm field plus pellets or 5.5mm

i brough the first batches when they came out and the tins say 5.5 mm on them. they do not shoot near as good as the jsb 5.52 mm pellets.

i am hoping that air arms have started ordering the field plus from jsb in 5.52 mm.

have anyone got the field plus 18.1grain .22 pellet in 5.52mm?

100m paper punching in the netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Kes View Post
    BisMags are good in the right barrel but beyond say 50 yards I wouldn't want to be dealing with the trajectory that their weight gives, even at 30 fpe power level.
    Most JSB/Daystate/AA field variants are generally the most accurate pellet around for any barrel and/or MV. As has already been said, beyond 80 yards in range is really rimfire/centrefire territory.
    i disagree there are shooting matches now becoming popular at 100m ranges.

see this link for those who think 80 yards+ is only for rim fire.

as air guns, ammo, shooters and scopes become more advanced and accuarte, the ranges can be increased for long range paper punching:

http://www.schulzdiabolo.cz/en/news/

Quote Originally Posted by nightstalker000 View Post
    i disagree there are shooting matches now becoming popular at 100m ranges.

see this link for those who think 80 yards+ is only for rim fire.

as air guns, ammo, shooters and scopes become more advanced and accuarte, the ranges can be increased for long range paper punching:

http://www.schulzdiabolo.cz/en/news/
    I was talking about shooting airgun pellets at live quarry mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kes View Post
    I was talking about shooting airgun pellets at live quarry mate.
    yes would have to agree with you on that. i am mainly shooting at paper and plinking. maybe live quarry out to 60 yards for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jonezy25 View Post
    And need one hell of a kick up the harris to get them to fly as flat as an 18 grainer!
    True, but a flat flying pellet isn't much use if it loses its stability at long range. And the Eley Magnum might not be as loopy as you think. Its shape and weight help it retain plenty of energy. But it does need at least 50 fpe behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by lionel View Post
    True, but a flat flying pellet isn't much use if it loses its stability at long range. And the Eley Magnum might not be as loopy as you think. Its shape and weight help it retain plenty of energy. But it does need at least 50 fpe behind it.
    Totally agree with this.

hat about the daystate pellets, i find them quite good, depending on your power output .