Thread: Scope for a BSA Meteor

Scope for a BSA Meteor

Hello, smells musty in here.

I've got an old BSA Meteor (of the Military Trainer variety) in poorly internal condition. There's currently more muzzle energy in my old chap than this gun. Long story short, it's been sat in the corner looking sorry for itself for several months and just yesterday I took pity on it and ordered a few bits from Chambers (factory spring, piston seals breech seal etc).

Now I plan to use it as a plinker, go back to basics and rediscover the 'fun' of airgunning. I'd love to use the peep sight on it but my eyes are no longer up to it so I need a scope for it. As it's a collectible, I would prefer a vintage scope if possible. The problem is, I know sod all about vintage scopes (or modern ones for that matter).

What would you lads recommend I put on it? It needs to be small, lightweight, and doesn't need to have to much mag. More importantly, it needs to be reasonably cheap.

Also, what are the best mounts to use. IIRC the BSA's of yesteryear had odd sized groves for the scope mounts, modern ones making the scope look as crooked as a politician.

Thanks in advance for the advice chaps. Try not to baffle me with your nerdish train spotter type knowledge.

Hmm, never thought about the poor optics in some of the older scopes, thanks for the response. Perhaps a modern fixed mag scope is the way to go then...

A 4x28 scope with simple crosshair is of 'period', and adequate for the job. Such a scope offers an exit pupil of 7mm which is maximum for low-light (though lens coatings were not as good as they are now). You want a reasonably well made example as you're attaching it to a recoiling rifle. I have an old Nikko Sterling 4x28 which was one of the better models from early 80's.
    HW100KT, ATN X-Sght 4K Pro, MTC Taipan 6-24x56; HW97K, MTC Viper 10x44
    Walther LGV Comp Pro, MTC Connect 3-12
    HW45, Beretta 92fs, Premier, Tempest, MkIII, Orig. Mod50

Scopes

I once had a small leaflet in my small collection of Airgun ephemera that was for a BSA scope for this Meteor . Made by BSA or at least marketed by them , in a simple cradle mount and yes not as easy to see thru as a modern 3-9x40 jobby , but in period for an early Meteor . Any of these older long pencil type fixed focal scopes will do if sticking to ' in period ' retro scoping up .
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Steve! Ignoring the not so good myriad of 4x15 and 4x20 pencil-thick scopes that abound, many 'period' scopes like the A.S.I. and Optima, host superior Jap optics to the vast majority of mid-range (under £80) scopes of today.

In fact the A.S.I. and Optima scopes of the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s, are so superior in almost every way to the aforementioned optical offerings of today, that in most instances, especially among F.A.C. shooters, they are often chosen over their more modern counterparts for reasons of clarity. Hope this helps . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Thanks for your input guys. I'm even more confused now.

Actually Gareth, you make a good point regarding the optics. I should have made it clearer in my post, I'm not after the pencil thin type scope but more of a 'short' light scope if you see what I mean.

Sod it, as it's for plinking, I'll just buy one of our sponsors cheapest / lightest offerings.

scope

Don't know if you are aware but there is a BSA 3 x 7 x 20 scope for sale in the sales section. Should be right for the meteor.

PS. Sale has nothing to do with me.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Punchsteve View Post

Sod it, as it's for plinking, I'll just buy one of our sponsors cheapest / lightest offerings.
    Good call Bro. I've one of his £17.99 AGS 4x32 compact mil dots on my AA combat, and not only does it look the part, but is a lovely little optic for the money, too (see here: http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products...-reticule.html ).

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 30-12-2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: to refresh link.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Punchsteve View Post
    Hmm, never thought about the poor optics in some of the older scopes, thanks for the response. Perhaps a modern fixed mag scope is the way to go then...
    Hi all, Am I missing something here, !
    Its a Meteor , IE period scope springs to mind, The mention of a £80 scope on a Meteor just doesn,t jell ,

Its .177 & ( Some shoot very well ) There were a number of scopes around at that time, The Military Meteor had the Peep sight on the rear of the cylinder , This had a riser, & was period,
    I have a number of scopes ( None worth more than £10 ) 2-3 or 4 X 15, 20, or 40.

Without looking, They were Boskon, Webley, Bsa, Tasco, in various denominations ! Of size & magnification,
    In my opinion, These were more befitting the gun mentioned, Just a thought Ged.
    PS, I have a " Number " of Military Meteor actions, stocks & Sights, Cheers,

Thanks again for all your input.

It's a moot point now as today I was given a period BSA scope with mounts by a friend of my fathers. He'd (and I quote) "had it in the shed for yonks like"

The optics look quite clear and best of all, it was FREE. FREE I tells ya.

Thanks everyone. Gareth, will certainly look at the AGS if I can't get on with the smaller tube of the BSA.