Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bb or pellets

bb or pellets

hi
    please excuse my ignorance but is there any co2 hand pistols that fire pellets instead of bb balls.if so what makes are they.
    clive

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Check out Umarex & Crossman
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

paul are they all single loading or do they have magazines.what is the max power out put.ive had a look on y.tube and the hw45 looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by beano1966 View Post
    paul are they all single loading or do they have magazines.what is the max power out put.ive had a look on y.tube and the hw45 looks good.
    The HW45 is spring powered and not CO2 - If you want a CO2 repeater, the it's mainly Umarex that offer a wide choice. A good way to start is to decide exactly what you want to use it for and that will narrow the field a bit for you.

Yo dude,

if your after power then you do not want CO2, the HW45 will outshoot most pistols but is a single shot spring pistol. It is a very fine pistol, you will not go wrong with it.

The thing with CO2s is that its all about fun, for me that translates to only blowback BB pistols. I've tried Pellet pistols in the past and the way they feed from a rotary mag is not for me.

However once we start getting full cylinder revolvers that fire pellets and automatics capable of cycling pellets (preferably via ejecting brass!) then I'll certainly make the switch over to pellets!!

it needs to be pellet rather than bb.if it has to be spring then ill go spring.i am not new to the air gun world as i already have a daystate .22 air rifle,its just that i am new the the pistol world.
    i would like the pistol to be able to also take a sight or a lazer as i will use it for target.
    i alreay have a spring bb gun but its not that accurate.i was thinking that a pellet gun would be better and more accurate.

co2 and .22 with power= Crosman 2240.

The 2240 does about 5-5.5ft.lbs. from the packaging and is very accurate however co2 is temperature sensitive especially in this current weather.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    Yo dude,

if your after power then you do not want CO2, the HW45 will outshoot most pistols but is a single shot spring pistol. It is a very fine pistol, you will not go wrong with it.

The thing with CO2s is that its all about fun, for me that translates to only blowback BB pistols. I've tried Pellet pistols in the past and the way they feed from a rotary mag is not for me.

However once we start getting full cylinder revolvers that fire pellets and automatics capable of cycling pellets (preferably via ejecting brass!) then I'll certainly make the switch over to pellets!!
    Bring your HW45 to an IPAS comp
    Or try shooting a Police Pistol comp.
    And how about Practical Pistol?
    All serious competitions with serious skill required to score well!
    Multi-shot CO2 might not generate the power (although my 6 shot, semi-autu DU-10 can deliver 5ft/lbs) but has a genuine place in more varied competitions than single shot pistols
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Clive,
    Most Umarex rotary magazine fed models - 8 shot Walther CP-88, Colt 1911, Beretta 92 fs etc. are good accurate pellet firing pistols, as are -
    Umarex Smith & Wesson 10 shot
    Crosman 357 10 shot and a bargain at around £60
    Anics Skif 28 shot - heavy trigger & prone to problems if not used in accordance with the manual
    ATB,
    Nick

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    it needs to be pellet rather than bb.if it has to be spring then ill go spring.i am not new to the air gun world as i already have a daystate .22 air rifle,its just that i am new the the pistol world.
    i would like the pistol to be able to also take a sight or a lazer as i will use it for target.
    i alreay have a spring bb gun but its not that accurate.i was thinking that a pellet gun would be better and more accurate.
    Accuracy will come more from the quality of the gun in particular the trigger mech. and unlike rifles an optical sight or laser won't add more precision over typical pistol ranges unless the gun is supported and then you may as well use a rifle.
    Most of the models mentioned are primarily fun guns and if you're after precision will probably disappoint.
    However for informal target shooting they are fine with the Umarex S&W being arguably the pick of the bunch and boasting an accessory rail if thats what you want....
    Other manufacturers who also do CO2 pistols include Rohm's Trainer model, Daisy, Gamo, Benjamin/Sheridan and BRNO's Tau 7.

thanks for all you replys and help.with so many pistols to choose from where do i start.i do not want to shoot in competitions so i dont want the best on the market.saying that i do want the best pistol for my money.
    i have a round £100 to spend.
    i would like the pistol to be
    a pellet firing pistol
    multi shoot
    co2 feed
    max power
    if there is a pistol that does all the above and you have tried and tested then can you name it as i dont want to waste my money.

now from what i have read you can only go up to 6lb in power.
    why is this when a rifle is alowed to go up to 12lb befor it becomes a fire arms.
    is the law different for pistols?or is it that they can not handle the power over 6lb.
    thanks again for your help in this matter and look forward from hearing back with your answers to my questions
    clive

thanks for all you replys and help.with so many pistols to choose from where do i start.i do not want to shoot in competitions so i dont want the best on the market.saying that i do want the best pistol for my money.
    a pellet firing pistol
    multi shoot
    co2 feed
    max power
    if there is a pistol that does all the above and you have tried and tested then can you name it as i dont want to waste my money.

why is this when a rifle is alowed to go up to 12lb befor it becomes a fire arms.
    is the law different for pistols?or is it that they can not handle the power over 6lb.
    thanks again for your help in this matter and look forward from hearing back with your answers to my questions
    clive
    Yes the legal limit is different for pistols.

The pistol you want doesn't exist I'm afraid. Most CO2 multi-shot pistols will do between 2 and 3 ft.lbs. If your budget is for buying new you're probably looking a multi-shot BB pistol or a single shot pellet pistol. You have more options secondhand but not max power and multi-shot. Semi auto target oriented CO2s like the Drulov that Nick mentioned will start at double your budget (secondhand) and upwards, and will also need tweaking to get near to the limit.

What sort of target shooting are you interested in, as you don't need max power for most types? I shoot pistol FT out to 25 yards with a pistol doing just over 4 ft.lbs.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    a pellet firing pistol
    multi shoot
    co2 feed
    max power

clive
    Please forget the power issue, it's irrelavent as you are not looking for humane killing power with an air pistol and above 500 fps muzzle flip becomes an issue destroying accuracy anyway...
    My recommendation at your price point would be for the 6" S&W second-hand or the Crosman 357W available new with change if you're willing to give up the accessory option.
    Both tick all your boxes except the max. power one....
    Last edited by harvey_s; 31-12-2010 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Bring your HW45 to an IPAS comp
    Or try shooting a Police Pistol comp.
    And how about Practical Pistol?
    All serious competitions with serious skill required to score well!
    Multi-shot CO2 might not generate the power (although my 6 shot, semi-autu DU-10 can deliver 5ft/lbs) but has a genuine place in more varied competitions than single shot pistols
    ATB,
    Nick
    I agree completely dude, I'm a big fan of multishots. For me the replicas we have that are multi shot dont quite deliver. When we have automatics that are actually revolvers or even worse revolvers that dont have a full cylinder it defeats the point of making them look like the weapons they resemble.

With BB guns you often have a more realistic firing action, they aren't accurate by any means but nothing beats the fun. I just can't work out why when we obviously have disciplines for multishots and the popularity of realistic working action no company seems interested in combining the 2. To me it would seem sensible to market competition quality air pistols with authentic actions in a country where handguns are banned.

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    I agree completely dude, I'm a big fan of multishots. For me the replicas we have that are multi shot dont quite deliver. When we have automatics that are actually revolvers or even worse revolvers that dont have a full cylinder it defeats the point of making them look like the weapons they resemble.

With BB guns you often have a more realistic firing action, they aren't accurate by any means but nothing beats the fun. I just can't work out why when we obviously have disciplines for multishots and the popularity of realistic working action no company seems interested in combining the 2. To me it would seem sensible to market competition quality air pistols with authentic actions in a country where handguns are banned.
    I have to agree completely
    It's a shame Umarex didn't do a blowback self-cocking 1911