Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: blowback or not blowback that is the question

blowback or not blowback that is the question

hi guys newbie here this has probably been answered a million times!i did do a search but couldnt see anything.blowback pistols look brilliant but just how much faster do they drink the co2 and is it worth it for the extra fun and realism?any advice much appreciated thanks

they do drink co2 not very powerful but they are great fun

i think the fun part is probably going to win me over!!!

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Blowback, if you're more interested in the fun of simulating a cartridge pistol. Nonblowback, if you're more interested in accurate shooting.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

paul4be is offline Everything has an end, only the sausage has two
    Do you want to hit the barn door, or look good while you miss???
    Good deals with: ali d (twice), mattinlondon, mikemorton, jonboy, the wizard, Moza, markH, fok, gunslinger, Fisherman1, bigwull, mikewareing, TwoTitans,hairydog, airguns, dcl dave, Stuart B, mattie, Locksley, MARK, albrown, kjud, spud, gedfinn2, wasteoid, bullcelt, bunnysniper, wasteoid, pokeandhope, honda+more

If you can forgive the plastic the Desert Eagle blows back and is accurate. Does only give about 35 shots though.
    Other blowback models I like are-
    Sig 226 X five is tin can accurate at 10 metres and great fun but again eats gas. Does use all of it though. Completely empty when you unscrew which is unique I think.
    CP 99 compact is well built, fairly accurate at short range, fun and gives plenty of shots.
    All reasonably priced as well.

any opinions on the px4?

PX4 looks alright to me but I was let down by the way the desert eagle works and the PX4 is similar. The blowback merely cocks the hammer, the trigger rotates the cylinder. This means that an aborted shot will miss out one pellet in the magazine.

I am sticking to BB guns until the we have proper magazine fed pellet firing blowbacks, I do know how difficult this will be to achieve though. For me though its more about the fun than anything else.

The Humble Walther PPK/s is a good cheap place to start and is excellent fun, the Cybergun SIG is even better and a bit of a handful. Firing off a full magazine and then having the slide lock back is awesome. You can pick up a PPK for under £80 new and the SIG can be had for pennies short of £100.

The PX 4 does look alright. However it does not shoot alright.
    You would have lots of fun seating the pellets with a biro and it would still jam and be wildly inaccurate.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    The PX 4 does look alright. However it does not shoot alright.
    You would have lots of fun seating the pellets with a biro and it would still jam and be wildly inaccurate.
    ??? We must have different PX4's- mine shoots fine and seats pellets without need for a biro. No jams at all

The last thread on the PX 4 on here ended when a member pointed out the comments on the website of Woodys of Wembley.
    To save you looking they dont stock them anymore because of reliability problems.
    They are not the only gunshop to take this action.
    You may have a good one. Mine wasnt.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    The PX-4 is far too complex to strip & fix to be economical for most airgunsmiths, the importers replace rather than fix warranty failures.
    Use of loose fitting or badly seated pellets causes jamming issues.
    I've resolved jamming PX-4s with correct pellets or correct seating of pellets.
    Both of mine cycle without issues
    If anyone has one they can't get on with I'll give them £45 inc post for it if it isn't physically damaged and hasn't been stripped before, less the cost of a mag if no mag is included,
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

I admire the way you persevere with your pistols Nick.
    However when I can work out an acronym for ANICS I will use it a lot on here.
    Im thinking along the lines of the one for LOTUS cars----Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I admire the way you persevere with your pistols Nick.
    However when I can work out an acronym for ANICS I will use it a lot on here.
    Im thinking along the lines of the one for LOTUS cars----Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
    How about:
    Another Nonfunctional I Can't Sell
    Airgun, Nonfunctional, It Can't Shoot
    Airgun Never In Capable State
    Always Naturally Ineffective Crap Shooter

and many many more.

Only joking, I've never even fired one, just playing with words that's all, honest Nick!

The Sig is good fun, I have had some problems with the magazine seating in the gun meaning no power but my second gun is better so it might have been a one-off.

Power is great first mag but soon tails off and by the third mag the power of the blowback is not enough to cock it or lock it back properly.

So as long as you dont mind buying lots of gas and it not really being that accurate then go for it.

I did expect more but then I am used to the power and accuracy of the umarex guns.