Thread: Armi Jager AP-85

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Armi Jager AP-85

These are one of the more uncommon products from Jager - I have only seen 3 or 4 in the UK. They seem to have been made until the '80s/'90s and are the only available rimfire copy of the FAMAS rifle.

They are also quite close to the SA80 in terms of feel. Jager did also make a rather bizzare looking SA80 copy, although I'm not sure it was ever marketed.

Build quality is excellent with it mainly being steel as opposed to pot metal, and the furniture is, I think, mahogany. The magazines are also steel and hold 30rnds. Overall finish is a mixture of bluing and what appears to be parkerizing.

It only cycles high or hyper velocity ammo. CCI Mini-Mag are a favourite and anything less tends to lack enough power to run well. Subs run well enough if used as a straight-pull. Groups are around 1"inch or less at 50m with Mini-Mag.

Reliability wise, it rarely has any stoppages when clean and properly lubricated. Jager rimfires tend to be known as being very unreliable, and this was no different when I obtained it. Some work to the carrier and a new firing pin soon fixed it. Cleaning and specific use of dry lubricant are very important. It needs a complete clean every 300rnds or so to maintain reliability.

They are fairly simple to clean, although products like action-blaster, large amounts of cotton ear cleaners and those gun cleaning toothbrushes help greatly. If liquid lubricant or oil is used on the internals, they will pick up large amounts of fouling, quickly leading to stoppages.

Mine included a base which fits in the carry-handle and has an 11mm dovetail. It does mount optics very high. The trigger is not especially nice, but they are a bullpup design. It does the job well enough.

These are the only details about the rifle ever written online as far as I am aware. Unfortunately I cannot post pictures as my camera USB lead has gone missing.

I can provide details on how to clean them properly and some other useful info.

On the whole, if you see one in resonable order for under £350, buy it. They make an excellent plinker and curiosity piece, plus mine functions well. Spares are something which needs fabricating, but they don't have many weak points, although the firing pin will bugger if dry-fired constantly.

Here are some details and photos.
    Last edited by Korium; 17-11-2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Edited for terrible grammar.