Thread: remington 700 SPS Tactical .223

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    A good review this, it gave me the extra encouragement needed to sell my Browning A-bolt and buy a Remy Tactical.

I bought mine second hand and it came fitted with a stock from a Remy Varmint, a Ken Farrell rail & custom bolt handle. I've also had my RFD gunsmith fit a Timney trigger which is lovely and smooth, set at just over 2.5lb pull weight. Yesterday was my first chance to get out and try it and so far I absolutley love it. The A-bolt was a nice little rifle but for whatever reason I just couldn't get on with it (despite it posting some decent groups) and the Remy feels so much better to shoot for me.

I know that it will likely prefer heavier ammo with the 1:9 twist but I already had 3 boxes of Hornady Superformance V-Max 53gr so wanted to give them a go first. I boresighted before I went out and was surprised to find it needed no adjustment whatsoever, which was a first for me! I always zero by shooting off front & rear bags (on the car bonnet) and this consisted of 3 shots at 50yds to get on target and a further 3 at 100yds to fine tune at 1.5" high. I then shot two 5-shot groups at that range of 1" & 0.75" respectively before going out to 200yds. I needed a single click up on the Zeiss to get on zero but then did a further two groups of 5 shots each which were just under 2". The second group had 4 shots within 1" but I pulled the last one... Doh!

The groups so far are nowt spectacular but remember this is 53gr factory ammo. I'll be trying something around the 60gr mark soon to see how that shoots and at some point will look to reload my own to really get the best out of the rifle. All in all though, I'm very happy with the Tactical for my fox shooting and should really have bought one of these in the first place.
    Last edited by Hellequin; 29-01-2012 at 10:54 PM.