Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: remington 700 SPS Tactical .223

nice rifle, good post, thinking of getting one now

I re-crowned mine whilst i had it threaded , fitted a timmney , and put it in a aics , clover leaf groups no problem its amazing how accurate , But i was not so impressed when i first got it , using a bipod and the original Houge stock 'to flexible' , ok if rested on a bag further back , i also use Remington 55gn with good effect not that its fussy .

I just bought a semi custom tactical .223 from rimfire magic, comes recrowned, bolt rails polished and a very crisp trigger, I will get it on the range soon but my first impressions are very good.
    I have handled a few rem 700 recently and the actions and triggers have been gritty and heavy, I wanted the 9 twist so there were not many choices. I will post some shooting impressions as soon as I canbut sofar so good

OK just got back from the first range test, after a few rounds to adjust the scope I put in a 7 shot one hole group at 50 metres off a sand bag. The trigger is superb the load was 24.0 of n140 behind a 60 grain hollow point.
    I will try some more ammo next week

interesting read.i have just bought one too.a 20" sps with a mtc genisis 5-20x50 with leup mounts.never fired a .223 like this and was surprised at how loud it was and there was also a lot of felt recoil.nothing compred to my .44 but it does kick.not being a prone shooter and never having shot past 50m.so today at severnside was a bit of an eye opener.shooting spinners at 50m is a lot of fun but no challange,100m out was a first for me and i shot about 1/2 groups.fairly happy but i thing a stock change will follow soon.the silencer is on order so that can not come soon enough.hopefully with pratice i will be able to improve my very inexperienced technique and do the gun some justice.

Zak did you get it from Bromsgrove.....???
    Without curiosity, evolution would have been greatly flawed.....

yes the only one they had and apparently not many about

lol....your right not many about. im the guy you were talking to about your tactical. small world eh.
    Without curiosity, evolution would have been greatly flawed.....

Second range test at 50 metres using 69 grain Sierra matching and 24 grains of bit now
    One hole group measuring 0.31 inches measured centre to centre and using 70 grain boat tail graphite a max
    One hole measuring 0.414.
    All shooting from a sandbag rest.

So sub minute of angle with no load development, not bad for a budget rifle. Thank you rimfire magic.

sounds like it is time to move your targets out to at least 100y

You are not wrong but unfortunately the local range is only 50 metres and my fac only covers target use so until I can get to Bisley I will just have to make do with 50 metre shooting
    Last edited by neutron_bomb; 09-04-2015 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Lovely, I've just changed mine to ai stock from my converted mag laminate, very accurate rifles

I restocked mine with a bell and carlsen with full length ally bedding and have just ordered a floorplate and magazine from rimfire magic to convert from internal mag to external mag.
    it looks good and it shoots good.

mine is now as i want it to be.have changed the trigger to a timney the scope is now a bushnell 4.5x30x50 elite and the stock is a grs
    http://s1214.photobucket.com/user/za...g3xjf.jpg.html
    http://s1214.photobucket.com/user/za...duu6b.jpg.html
    http://s1214.photobucket.com/user/za...t8i11.jpg.html
    the stock was put on friday so i have not had a chance to test the accuracy yet to see if it has improved.weather permitting i will hope to try it next month

Nice stock Zak - I ended up with a Bell and Carlsen 'Light Tactical' and a Rifle Basixx trigger (from SYSS) on mine and then fitted a Third Eye mag conversion.
    Where do you obtain the GRS stocks please?