Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
I have been following this post with interest chaps. Does the "Connect" really behave very differently from anything currently available? I must admit to being intrigued by this new introduction into the already excellent MTC stable. I may even nip up to see Lloyd at BAR to check one out for myself. It certainly sounds different to anything else knocking about at present and worthy of serious consideration. Didnt Sportsmatch say that they would produce some bespoke mounts for this scope?

Andy
Hi Andy,

From my point of view, yes, it is.

If you like the MTC scopes, then this wont disappoint.

I think the thing is that yes, you may well say that a 6-24x56 in whatever flavour is maybee better for long range shooting, and a 4x24 may seem better for squirrelling or ratting, but in the connect, you have all the advantages of the above (albeit 12x mag) in one scope.

As I understand it sports match have been making a mount, but a good quality pair for single mounts fitted together will do as good a job, although I am not sure where that leaves you as regards scope mounted lamps as the sports match unit does take this into account.

The only real issue re mounting is getting used to the eye position.

Now, back in the day of the original connect 01, this had some real bearing. It was quite high and really needed an ajustable cheek piece, and the eye relief was quite uncompromising.

The little (and it is small...but chunky, it is the patterdale of scopes, compact and tough) Viper connect really only shares the low light, fast aquisition, and wide FOV with the original, and none of the disadvantages.

They eye relief is as you like it within reason.

Gary and Sammy have been very clever in fitting an extendable, rubber coated eyepiece (often seen on modern bins) that extends, but is locked in place as it is on a cam, so it rotates to extend and retract.

To this you can add, if you wish, and optional bellows eyepiece.

The thing is, with the tube wound in, the scope works more or less conventionally, you could shoot a springer happilly with it, and as I said earlier, Baz has used .223, but I think he warned against glasses wearers trying this.

Wind the tube out and it rests on your brow, and this really helps stabilise the rifle in any position.

As Phil says, if you use NV it will feel pretty normal, but even if you dont, you will soon get used to it.

Of interest to me is that there was some mention of a possible front end NV add on later down the line, which if it works out will be the dogs as you really will them have a 1 scope does all.

The thing is that it will do the job of a much larger, heavier scope very well, while being potentially much lower in the mounts (depending on the rifle...but even then it's objective is only 32mm) and lighter, so it does not affect the handling in the way a large scope can make a bipod or rest more or a necessity for some.

It is a bloody good squirrelling scope too. I use a Connect 01 for several seasons, and have used the new one (prototype) for several runs out and it is significantly better than what was already pretty handy.

Side (very close minimum) focus, easy zoom, AMD ret (the dogs) one touch retina friendly () IR...ideal.

It may be marmite, but not in anyway as much as the old 01 used to be.

I think most would be able to shoot well with it, even if they did'nt like it mucth.