Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
I don't know why it should perform particly well with a torch, it is not as good as a Taipan in low light.
I cannot comment against the Taipan as I have not used one, but then that being the case, why would I know that it does not work as well....but then the OP was reviewing a Viper Connect...or not?

The point I was making (having used the earlier Connect for lamping against standard scopes available at the time, and the current prototype in very low light) is that many folks drop the mag on their scopes for lamping or low light in order to allow quicker aquisition and an optimal exit pupil, but then you loose detail.

This is not required with the connect as it has such a wide fov.

My own experience with the prototype Viper connect and the earlier 01 was that they work down to very low light levels at mags that would not have been viable on most conventional scopes in this price range.

Rat shooting also requires you to be quick on target, so with a low power lamp, and a connect, you should have a good little package that should be less spooky to the quarry.

Does the Taipan focus down as close as the Connect? If not another plus.

The Taipan is by all accounts a very good scope, but it aint a connect, which is what is on review here.

There is also the plus that the combined weight of a connect, and a much smaller lamp, will go a long way to making a rifle handle better by being less top heavy..or not?

The Viper Connect is not there as a Taipan killer, it is a scope (and potentially a system) in it's own class.