Thread: MTC Viper Connect 3-12X32

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gary, thank you for picking this up. Addressing your points:

Regarding the 'last hurdle' comment, fair enough (based on what you wrote, not what I was told).

With respect to the 'stronger' comment, that is not what I said - I said 'softer than'. If this was indeed a brand new scope that was damaged in transit then it is reasonable to speculate that the damage was caused when the turret cap was knocked hard, in which event the softer threads would be the ones most likely to be damaged; i.e. the threads on the scope body, which is where the damage appears to be. Refer to my reply to Hurricane's note for why I chose to see things this way. Irrespective, I said in my original note that this was merely speculation so if you are telling me now that the scope body is made of harder metal than the turret caps, so be it. That raises the question of course of what caused the damage if it wasn't a knock, and we are then into a more detailed discussion of whether the scope was in fact brand new from the factory - that is a whole other ball game involving Uttings and is not something that I would choose to pursue at this stage.

I never asked for a refund or a cash adjustment, I was very happy with the offer to exchange and I felt that the MTC reputation so lauded on these boards was well deserved. I was a happy man (problems happen, you were doing what was necessary to resolve this one)! I had it in writing from Sammie and Sammie had my reply, including the following: "Sammie, having thought about your suggestion to send the scope back, I'm only thirty miles or so from you and it might be easier to simply drop in. If this is a okay with you, when would be convenient?", which was sent to Sammie at one o'clock Monday afternoon. I had not had a reply by Tuesday morning, so I called Sammie on the phone (it took three attempts through the course of the morning to finally make contact).

I think your use of the word awkward is fair with respect to how the conversation ended. From my perspective, I went from being a happy customer to being deeply disappointed and disillusioned. Perhaps it was a case of mis-communication, but it was clear that arranging a visit would have been difficult (no mention was made of Monday, which would have been fine - I also told Sammie that I did not want to send the scope back to Uttings for a refund as I wanted nothing more to do with them). It was during this conversation that the possible issue of scope body metal softness relative to the turret cap was raised, something that I wanted to discuss with MTC when I dropped the scope off, which wasn't now going to happen - this triggered the conversation about switching to a Taipan and I was told clearly that that had to be through Uttings. So, you started with a happy customer and ended with a very unhappy one. Regarding Sammie being uncomfortable with my manner and tone, it is not unusual for a disgruntled customer to express frustration, which I did to the mildest degree, clearly upset but remaining civil. Customer Service 101. . .

Your last couple of points, thank you, that is all I ever wanted.

Now, one last thing. I'm sorry that this had to reach the bulletin boards; it is not my nature to parade dirty washing in public, so it should give you an indication of how I felt. Of course, this will be seen by others as a storm in a teacup and MTC's reputation will remain excellent, as it should.

Follow-up and Resolution 11 August: Well, all I can say is that Gary was as good as his word. A new Connect sits on my HW100 and MTC have another satisfied customer.
    Last edited by Cuhulain; 11-08-2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Resolution