Sadly, my experience with this scope has not been so good.

I bought it new from Uttings a few weeks ago and was surprised to find that the packaging was not what it should have been; the scope was loose in its box (the cardboard scope supports being squashed flat and useless), and there was no high density foam supporting the scope. In addition, the warranty registration card had been filled in with a date three weeks before the date of purchase. Having bought a Viper 10x44 a couple of weeks earlier and been very pleased with it, I have to say that the initial impression of the Connect was a huge disappointment.

So, it seemed to me that I might have been sent something that wasn't as advertised - perhaps it was a returned scope or a display model; however, over the course of three quite straight-talking phone calls, Uttings maintained that it was brand new from the manufacturer. I spoke to Sammie of MTC too and was left with the impression that the packaging I received seemed about right (i.e. there should be no expectation of high density foam supports as supplied with the 10x44). I also learned that MTC do spot checks for quality control and that this scope might have been one of those chosen for testing. Uttings, meanwhile, suggested that the date on the registration card was most likely filled in by MTC.

Both Uttings and MTC dealt with me respectfully on the phone so I took them at their word and, with the scope appearing to be functioning normally, I kept it.

Unfortunately, a problem with the threads on the scope body for the windage turret cap developed. My best guess is that the scope was knocked in transit and that the threads were damaged. An email to MTC resulted in the kind offer to have a look at the problem and to replace the scope if it couldn't be fixed. However, I now have a nagging doubt in my mind about the quality of materials used; specifically, if the threads were damaged in transit, then it could be that the metal of the scope body is softer that that used for the turret caps - not a great design decision. Of course, this is pure speculation so I would be happy to be corrected on this point.

The bottom line is this, although I found the scope to be great to use, I now have my doubts about it. Sending it to MTC would result in a fix or a replacement but I have decided that I would rather have something else (and MTC are unable to oblige - VAT complications et cetera). I really don't want to deal any further with Uttings so I am most likely to put this one down to experience.