Thread: Deben Tracer Tri-star pro lamp and lithium battery

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs down Deben Tracer Tri-star pro lamp and lithium battery

Literally brilliant bit of kit
    I use it on top of my 6.5x55. Easy pick up of fox eyes out to 350 meters with clear body shots out to 200 meters.
    Broad enough beam for scanning
    I have shot 30 foxes with the red flip up flilter
    It is a very light (pun not intended) unit but well built, pre focused so no messing around after your 5 year old has fiddled with it
    The battery lasts 6 hours and is quick to charge.
    Being a LED unit there are no bulbs to blow and in my experience LEDs last for ever.
    The unit never gets hot (no halogen burns) and there is short circuit protection if the wires get torn( no nasty plastic burning smells)
    Deben are a pleasure to deal with, ie quick to despatch and answer phone calls and they threw in some free kit with my order.(They did not bribe me to do this review).
    There is a huge range of ancillary kit; adapters etc
    The only negative thing I would say is that the fliters just clip on and are easily dislodged in the field and the intense white light can make foxes uncomfortable but there is a dimmer that dims right down to virtually watch illumination level.
    Last edited by robkayak; 26-07-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Would you be able to give me any part numbers on the bulb unit so I might locate one and fit it to my Atom tactical which has the same basic housing and dimmer? I'm guesing that just like the bulb units for their other lamps they are available from china for a lot less money but a longer wait.
    Last edited by some bloke; 25-01-2011 at 08:18 AM.
    For NV spotter and add-on videos, paste > some bloke night vision < into YouTube search bar

I think that it is a sealed unit. I cannot see any part numbers. The tech guys at Debens maybe able to help you.
    Sorry I cannot be of more help

Quote Originally Posted by some bloke View Post
    Would you be able to give me any part numbers on the bulb unit so I might locate one and fit it to my Atom tactical which has the same basic housing and dimmer? I'm guesing that just like the bulb units for their other lamps they are available from china for a lot less money but a longer wait.
    It won't fit buddy!

Update

I have shot 15 foxes with the tri Star since the 1st Jan. I HAVE NOT CHARGED THE BATTERY ONCE AND IT IS ON FULL CHARGE according to the indicator. It is amazing, forget your filament lamps.

Problem

The lamp has ceased to function. Something has gone wrong with the dimmer/lamp & being a sealed unit with a circuit board it is not fixable with a screwdriver & soldering iron. It has to go back to Deben's. To be fair to them they just said send it back, so I will have to wait for the verdict. A conventional lamp would not be beyond my simple skills to fix.

Smile Deben service excellent

Lamp serviced, repaired & returned by return of post. No quibble. GOOD COMPANY. You can tell it is not State run

Quote Originally Posted by some bloke View Post
    You will be lucky.

They will sell the head as a complete unit and there will be a disproportionate sum involved.

LED also typically works on different voltage and amperage and the dimmer unit may also have technical issues so I would certanly do your home work before you commit to this route.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill