Thread: shooting standing AR with backproblem

shooting standing AR with backproblem

Hi all
    For 5 weeks now, I'm having crick in the back (is that correct word for it?). Thats lower back cramping. I've also been hypermobile (too mobile joints) especially in the back.(vertebrae). I'm excersizing at home now, and its going better and better. Slowly.
    When its stable enough, I'm gonna train at the gym to improve strength and core stability even more.
    I can do about everything again now, EXCEPT shooting rifle standing.. Even with a 3kilo gun, it stíll cramps up.. Any tips on how to train this? I already always use a straight up stance, cause, I can get too far back in stance because of my hypermobility. But even than I can feel vertebrae move in this stance(painless though)in the past.
    Any tips regarding a back band (like body builders) to use in the future for standing shooting only, to keep the vertebrae better in place(besides strengthening)? Wether its illegal or not is not important, I dont shoot matches.
    ATB,
    yana

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Yana
    I get a little back pain caused by old age and use a shooting belt designed for the shooting trousers, they are only 40 mm wide but do help a lot, most of the clothing companies make them, Kurt Thune, Monard, etc.
    I'm not a doctor but I think you are risking serious injury by trying to shoot standing whilst also trying to recover from an injury, much better to recover first. Are you tall and slim? if this is the case this will necesitate a more severe back bend to get a stable position, then its even more advisable to wait. Do you suffer in the shooting position with out holding a rifle? if this is the case then definately don't shoot.
    Only you can feel the pain so it is difficult to advise, rifle set up is a matter of preference but it can help. I coach some shooters with reduced flexibility (age!) and one thing we do is to get the ballance of the rifle more towards the butt. Remove as much weight as possible from the front end, muzzle weights etc, and place it in the butt, this takes away much of the need to have such a severe back bend. Rifle ballance is more critical than the weight. Some people prefer the ballance towards the butt and find it more stable. My wife used to shoot 380+ 30 years ago, now at 60, not as flexible as she was then, has her LG300 Junior weighted up to 4.5 kilos, but no one would believe it was that weight as most of the extra weight is in the butt to get the ballance only just in front of the trigger to let her shoot 370's.
    I think you may be better not shooting standing until the back is better, if you wish to continue practicing why not shoot the German Auflage style supported shooting for a few months to keep the sighting and trigger technique in practice.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Its ok to stand in my (upright) standing stance.
    Its ok when I hold 700 grammes than. Just not 3kilo's and >
    I cán shoot pistol. I can walk, bike, bend over etc. I cán hold the gun and lift it up, cock it, only shouldering is a problem. (which shifts balance and kinda pulls my back)
    Well, cause I doing better every day, I start trying things out, what cán and cánt I do. Feeling better makes you do more, and thats good in general.(and advised by the doc)
    I own a normal LG300, pre XT. I also have an alu cilinder for it. It has the junior sighttube and carbon shroud. Might be better balanced than my Diana 280, which, as are all Diana BB's, is long.
    I'll have to start building up again sometime.
    I thought about shooting rested. I cán shoot AR sitting already.
    Its not pain as such, it just cramps up.
    ATB,
    yana