Thread: FWB 65 or CO2 power ???

FWB 65 or CO2 power ???

I was intending to go down the route of getting back into 10m with a FWB 65.

Was wondering if I should be looking at CO2 instead.
    My thinking is not much more expensive second hand, but probably a lot more gun for the money.

Gentlemen, you thought/advice if you would be so kind.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    FWB 65's are a nice gun and were the big step in target air pistols, but they are 40 years old and it does show a bit in the ergonomics compared to a more modern target pistol. That said the scores shot with them vary little to today, the mens match is now 60 shot (40 then) so dificult to compare but the ladies match is the same, the ladies world record in 1972 was 392, Nina Stolyarova using a FWB 65, the record now? 393 using a Steyr LP10! the ten is 0.5 mm smaller, but hey not much difference.
    If you can get a more modern Co2, such as a Steyr, FWB, Walther, yes they will be a lot more modern than a 65 but unless you are lucky and patient you will pay quite a bit more than a 65. You will then be not so far off a s/h modernish PCP, which would be the best bet.
    I'd buy a 65 any way as they are a fabulous piece of engineering, then keep it when you upgrade, I've still got mine bought new in '72, and all the other pistols I evolved through over 40 years.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

FWB65 or CO2

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    FWB 65's are a nice gun and were the big step in target air pistols, but they are 40 years old and it does show a bit in the ergonomics compared to a more modern target pistol. That said the scores shot with them vary little to today, the mens match is now 60 shot (40 then) so dificult to compare but the ladies match is the same, the ladies world record in 1972 was 392, Nina Stolyarova using a FWB 65, the record now? 393 using a Steyr LP10! the ten is 0.5 mm smaller, but hey not much difference.
    If you can get a more modern Co2, such as a Steyr, FWB, Walther, yes they will be a lot more modern than a 65 but unless you are lucky and patient you will pay quite a bit more than a 65. You will then be not so far off a s/h modernish PCP, which would be the best bet.
    I'd buy a 65 any way as they are a fabulous piece of engineering, then keep it when you upgrade, I've still got mine bought new in '72, and all the other pistols I evolved through over 40 years.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Thanks Robin. That sounds like very good advice. I'll reconsider the situation again and look at the FWB pistols. It was the engineering and history that attracted me to them initially.

Bury,Lancashire, about 12 miles north of Mancheste

Fwb 65

I have tried a (relatively ) modern FWB 10m PCP pistol and found that I could score equally well with any of the FWB spring pistols 65, 80, or 90. My view is that unless you are, or aspire to be,an absolute expert, then any FWB spring pistol will serve you more than adequately. An Original/Diana 6M or 10 in good condition will perform similarly, ie for a 67 year old like me, 87-90 ex 100 @ 10m.
    Laudator temporis acti

Most important is what suits YOU, balance, weight, gripwise etc. I myself dont like the FWB65's; balance is way off (heavy back, light front) and I hate the cocking. But its very personal! They áre just as accurate! Downside is the cocking, when you shoot at high level, this startsto play. And the fact that the action comes rearwards, disturbs the follow through like with FWB300. They not 100% as recoilless as co2/pcp either.
    CO2 downside: can get expensive if you shoot a lot, balance changes when CO2 empties. Temperature sensitivity is fine. It wont bother you when you shoot at 'normal'temps (10-25degrees).
    When yr looking for a good CO2 buy? I can recommend the Tau 7's.
    Otherwise, many common brands made CO2 stuff, FWB, walther, etc.
    ATB,
    yana

I have shot extensively with both FWB65s and with a CO2 poweredFWB LP2 . I concluded that the FWB LP2 had better ergonomics but this was offset by the "hassle-factor" of needing to have a CO2 tank plus spare cylinders and to go through regular charging procedures. They can both be shot very accurately and the choice may depend on whether you are willing to put up with the practical difficulties of using CO2.

CO2 or FWB

Thanks everyone for the advice.

All-in-all, I've gone for the CO2 route.
    I've picked up a nice Aeron BRNO Chameleon Model 4 from the sale section here for a good price. (Budget was a factor)

It doesn't have the small grey bulk-fill bottle, though. So, if anyone has one they don't need or a spare, I would be willing to part with cash for the same as I intend to go for the bulk-fill option. I'm sure the Tau 7 bottle will be identical and others probably. The older ones were 125gr and the latest ones are 150gr.

I'll let you all know my thoughts of the pistol once it arrives.

Kind regards,
    Steve

Hey Steve,

That's a great pistol you've picked up, I have a BRNO B96 - essentially the same pistol in a 5 -shot repeater form.

I use CO2 powerlets and get roughly 70-75 usable shots, with bulk fill I get 75-80 on a good day so IMO there's really not enough advantage to be had from bulk fill to warrant the (albeit modest) extra outlay.

Anyway, ebjoy your pistol, it's a cracker, and welcome to target pistol shooting!

BRNO sounds a good choice.

I'm a pretty mediocre 10m shot (520 in shoulder-to-shoulder competition, 540 on a good day at home) with my FWB65. Every competition I've entered, I've been the only one in the line with a spring pistol.

One one hand it gives you a subconcious sense of inferiority, but on the other the FWB is hassle-free and the pistol undoubtedly feels very well-engineered. I don't anticipate ever selling it.

I think now is a good time to buy a FWB spring pistol. I sense they will soon move from 'obsolete target pistol' to 'valuable collectors item'. And they do last forever, nearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Boy View Post
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

All-in-all, I've gone for the CO2 route.
    I've picked up a nice Aeron BRNO Chameleon Model 4 from the sale section here for a good price. (Budget was a factor)

It doesn't have the small grey bulk-fill bottle, though. So, if anyone has one they don't need or a spare, I would be willing to part with cash for the same as I intend to go for the bulk-fill option. I'm sure the Tau 7 bottle will be identical and others probably. The older ones were 125gr and the latest ones are 150gr.

I'll let you all know my thoughts of the pistol once it arrives.

Kind regards,
    Steve
    If you already have the bulk fill adaptor, check the Hambleton Bard homebrewer's CO2 bottles. They're 250g and were the same thread as the bulk adaptor for the Alfa I had.

Having said that, with 12 g capsules at about 31p each from JSR, bulk fill isn't worth the hassle IMO. With the capsules, you know how many shots you've got left.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.