Thread: Pietta LeMat reproductions

Pietta LeMat reproductions

They seem to to have a resonable reputation for quality in the U.S and I have seen them in the U.K, although they appear rather rare. So... it can fire 20g cartridges I believe? How much of a legality headache does that make them?

By the sounds of it, they are bloody expensive in comparison to many revolvers.
    What is the going rate on them, and are they still available new?

Thanks in advance.

Take my advice and DON'T do it! Expensive mistake I made in the past

Loading lever is a nightmare, weak and prone to jumping about and losing the central rammer part with most shots. Small powder capacity so not much room for experimenting and that bloody lock is a nightmare to keep clean and running smoothly.

The 'shotgun' barrel is pants even when the short and oblique strike angle of the hammer has enough grunt to detonate a cap and when it does, think confetti chucker rather than useful appendage. Shot will dent cardboard at 15 yards as there is not enough barrel length to make use of the burn and reach shooting velocity. It's a muzzle loading tube not cartridge firing

Expensive oddity, looks good but how many do you see in the shooting line?
    Last edited by slowcoach; 21-01-2011 at 07:17 PM.

Informative post. Thanks.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I've also heard bad things about them.

They're probably a worthwhile acquisition as a conversation piece for a well-heeled shooter who already has everything practical that he needs: but not a practical piece of kit for most shooters.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Pietta LeMat

Quote Originally Posted by slowcoach View Post
    Take my advice and DON'T do it! Expensive mistake I made in the past

Loading lever is a nightmare, weak and prone to jumping about and losing the central rammer part with most shots. Small powder capacity so not much room for experimenting and that bloody lock is a nightmare to keep clean and running smoothly.

The 'shotgun' barrel is pants even when the short and oblique strike angle of the hammer has enough grunt to detonate a cap and when it does, think confetti chucker rather than useful appendage. Shot will dent cardboard at 15 yards as there is not enough barrel length to make use of the burn and reach shooting velocity. It's a muzzle loading tube not cartridge firing

Expensive oddity, looks good but how many do you see in the shooting line?
    I agree with every word! I have known 3 guys who had them. I didn't enjoy shooting it. It's fun to look at, and a good talking point. Quite heavy when loaded. If I had one I don't think I'd use it very often. Get something else for shooting comps!