Thread: What pistol for a 14 year old?

What pistol for a 14 year old?

Hi, I'm new to pistols, hence this post...
    My son wants a CO2 'real looking' pistol (his words!) for his 14th. Our problem is that he suffers from Muscular Dystrophy so is in a wheelchair, but the disease also means he has a limited grip, and weakness in his arms.
    He has got a Gamo break barrel pistol but I have to load it and hand to him to fire, and he wants to use one on his own!
    I personally like the FS92 but feel it would be much too heavy, so with that in mind, can anyone suggest a lighter model, with a low trigger weight? He will only use it in the back garden, plinking/targets at about 8 metres.
    Thanks in advance, Mike & Jack
    Air Arms S300 & S310
    Gunpower Stealth
    Crossman Ratcatcher

I assume by FS92 you mean the Beretta copy? This has quite a large grip and you are right that it is fairly heavy. The Walther CP88 is also popular, and has a slightly smaller grip. For something smaller, what about a Walther PPK clone or similar, like the Gamo P23? Sights are fairly basic, but it's great for plinking at the ranges you mention. As he's only going to be 14, technically you have to look after the pistol on his behalf.

The PPK/S is good, the grip is quite small, you get lots of shots out of a CO2, its blowback so its great fun and you can fit about 15 BBs in the magazine. The gun is light and so is the trigger pull. The Slide locks back after the last shot so a reload means the effort of pulling the slide back is gone. Spare magazines are easy to get hold of as well.

Downsides are the accuracy is not great (smoothbore shooting BBs), however its fine for plinking at cans. The classic version comes with a fake silencer and a longer barrel, may help the accuracy but will add to the weight. There is a small amount of recoil as the slide moves, it really is tiny though.

Cheap to buy and cheap to run (I think Mcavoys have them for about £80). Depends if you want a BB gun or not (I prefer them in a CO2 gun!)

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    If a 10 shot revolver would suit then the Crosman 357 is a nice light gun, accurate and very reasonably priced too!
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Have a look at the Crosman 1008. Its a .177 Co2 pistol of mainly plastic construction. This means its quite light and easy to hold. The trigger is quite light as well and is one of the fastest shooters of the 8 round mags.

This model was the first multi shot co2 I bought, still have and shoot it.

I believe it now comes in .22 as well.

Hope this helps

Mike.

Thanks for the info guys
    The pistol will be kept with me, I want to have a go as well ! I want accuracy above power, one thing I liked about the FS92 (beretta) I tried was the accuracy.
    Will have a look into your suggestions and report back !
    Air Arms S300 & S310
    Gunpower Stealth
    Crossman Ratcatcher

Look at the 4" Walther CP88. It's as accurate as the 92FS yet lighter and easier to grip.The nickel versions are very durable and pleasing to the eye. You can both enjoy it

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I'd also recommend the Crosman .357.

It would be ideal if you, or even better, both of you, could go to an air gun club and try out the different models the club and the shooters may have there.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone