Thread: sightmark 10+40 by56 mil . mil dot illum ret .

sightmark 10+40 by56 mil . mil dot illum ret .

Just got this scope today . it is made i am told by yukon . reviewed by tim finley in the airgun world this month . in the short time i have had it , it seems like a good buy . decent matt black finnish , lockable turrets with good clicks . sidewheel parralax that is smooth to operate . illum mil dot ret , red and green . the dots are in the centre and only they illum . no back glare . sunshade , mounts . 10+40 by 56 . tried it out the back door to see what it is like on the ranging side ( FT me ) and although it is pitch black outside . it seems to range quite well . it is i am told about half a pound lighter than the BIG nikko ( MK1 , MK2 ) but a big old lump just the same and long . so far so good . will put it on my GC2 at the weekend and try it out ??? HOLLY PS may be my imagination , but it seemed to range 70 yards on the flats at the back of me .

A look .

Had a look in what was left of the day light tonight on getting home .. optically it is about the same as a good Custom Shop Scope . it is no Leupold . it is a cheap scope . how cheap you ask . Scope , Sunshade , Lens covers , Mounts , delivered to your door . £228 . i got mine from the States . the name to look for on E-bay is "OPTICALFACTORY" rangefinding well all i can say so far is that in daylight it repeated the tree at the bottom of our road at 40 yards , no problem . if it works sunday against the club Big Nikkos and BSAs . i think they will sell like hotcakes at that price as a starter scope ??? HOLLY

The Club Today ?

I have reviewed the scope on the airgunforum in the FT section , to long to do again . basically if you have trouble rangefinding , then this scope could be for you . i call it the barracuda , it snaps in like nothing i have ever used . have a look might be something you can use ??? HOLLY

Holly - cut and paste :

Right after a good day at the club with the new scope . i feel ready to pontificate on it . there are a lot of things i look for in a scope . but the two most important ones are 1/ does it not reliably rangefind and 2/ does it make my eyes tired using it . either of these two and it is gone , it is still on my GC2 . the scope fascinates me like a snake and a rabbit . never seen a scope like it . it is no leupold optically . bout the same as big BSA or a big Nikko . least on the smaller mags . anyway i digress . from the start . filled the rifle and checked it over the chrono , 782 with 8.4s . to the zero range and zero it . started on the 15 yard board . i use a high scope mount , so this can be be difficult . zeroed at 15 yards in 6 shots . it did not run out of clicks , my big nikko did . optically it is about the same as my big nikko . ( not a great scope it has to be said , but it rangefinds well ) slightly smaller objective lens . IE 56 mil . then zeroed at 35 yards , no problem . it was at this stage i realised what lockable turrets really meant . you undo the screw jobbie on top of the turret and then the turret is free to turn . zero it , then lock the screw jobbie off and you can then use the mil dots and know it cannot move when shooting . all i did was to lock off the windage for travel in the gun bag . the elevation turret i left undone . three allen bolts lock each turret , once zeroed . top turret set at 35 yards , done . next up was the rangefinding . i call this scope the barracuda , it snaps in like nothing i have ever used . on 40 mag it snaps in so quickly it is difficult to stop it in time . i went on down to 18 mag and it was still rangefinding . i settled on 24 mag for dark targets and 28 for any thing else . obviously i do not have a sidewheel for it . so it is not an easy matter to sort . but if looking at the 50 yard target the 55 yard one was really blurred . very small gaps on the little wheel . but i could sort 50 from 52 . it will i think need a BIG sidewheel . . this is all very good of course . but there is a down side .this snap in and out comes at a price . it comes in so quickly it leads to chromatic varriation . if you are used to a leup you might find that difficult to live with . if not , no problem . having said that it ranges on string ends no problem . i did not get any whiteout . glare from the setting sun , yes but nothing magging down would not sort . when i dialed up it went up . when i dialed down it went down . the clicks were rock solid and i could pick each and every one out . top turret is clear even without my glasses on . ( think i will have a extended one anyway ) . went on down to scary mary . this is not quite as scary as it was . being moved in from 55 yards to 52 yards . quite dark . magged to 24 mag and moved the parralx knob . you can see it zooming in , like a little rocket going down range . suddenly , SNAP it is there . looked at the knob . just past the 50 mark . the target was clear enough to see and shoot properly . dialed it up , inch off to the left . hold breath , out slightly . CRACK and over it went . how such an in out scope will perform in the heat i do not know . you will have to make up your own mind on whether you want one or not . but i am not selling mine ??? HOLLY

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    Holly - cut and paste :

Right after a good day at the club with the new scope . i feel ready to pontificate on it . there are a lot of things i look for in a scope . but the two most important ones are 1/ does it not reliably rangefind and 2/ does it make my eyes tired using it . either of these two and it is gone , it is still on my GC2 . the scope fascinates me like a snake and a rabbit . never seen a scope like it . it is no leupold optically . bout the same as big BSA or a big Nikko . least on the smaller mags . anyway i digress . from the start . filled the rifle and checked it over the chrono , 782 with 8.4s . to the zero range and zero it . started on the 15 yard board . i use a high scope mount , so this can be be difficult . zeroed at 15 yards in 6 shots . it did not run out of clicks , my big nikko did . optically it is about the same as my big nikko . ( not a great scope it has to be said , but it rangefinds well ) slightly smaller objective lens . IE 56 mil . then zeroed at 35 yards , no problem . it was at this stage i realised what lockable turrets really meant . you undo the screw jobbie on top of the turret and then the turret is free to turn . zero it , then lock the screw jobbie off and you can then use the mil dots and know it cannot move when shooting . all i did was to lock off the windage for travel in the gun bag . the elevation turret i left undone . three allen bolts lock each turret , once zeroed . top turret set at 35 yards , done . next up was the rangefinding . i call this scope the barracuda , it snaps in like nothing i have ever used . on 40 mag it snaps in so quickly it is difficult to stop it in time . i went on down to 18 mag and it was still rangefinding . i settled on 24 mag for dark targets and 28 for any thing else . obviously i do not have a sidewheel for it . so it is not an easy matter to sort . but if looking at the 50 yard target the 55 yard one was really blurred . very small gaps on the little wheel . but i could sort 50 from 52 . it will i think need a BIG sidewheel . . this is all very good of course . but there is a down side .this snap in and out comes at a price . it comes in so quickly it leads to chromatic varriation . if you are used to a leup you might find that difficult to live with . if not , no problem . having said that it ranges on string ends no problem . i did not get any whiteout . glare from the setting sun , yes but nothing magging down would not sort . when i dialed up it went up . when i dialed down it went down . the clicks were rock solid and i could pick each and every one out . top turret is clear even without my glasses on . ( think i will have a extended one anyway ) . went on down to scary mary . this is not quite as scary as it was . being moved in from 55 yards to 52 yards . quite dark . magged to 24 mag and moved the parralx knob . you can see it zooming in , like a little rocket going down range . suddenly , SNAP it is there . looked at the knob . just past the 50 mark . the target was clear enough to see and shoot properly . dialed it up , inch off to the left . hold breath , out slightly . CRACK and over it went . how such an in out scope will perform in the heat i do not know . you will have to make up your own mind on whether you want one or not . but i am not selling mine ??? HOLLY
    Cheers dale . i have many talents . computers are not one of em . by the way the parralax wheel goes from 10 yards to infinity in half a turn . gonna be fun when i get this lupe sidewheel machined to fit . tight is not gonna come into it . yep intersting if you like scopes ??? HOLLY