Thread: Dry Firing Prior to Shooting comps

Dry Firing Prior to Shooting comps

Can someone on here enlighten me please?
    At all HFT comps that I have attended, peolpe with regged pcp's seem to want to/need to dry fire their rifles prior to shooting the first target on the course, is this necessary/important or just habit.
    After asking some, I have had answers ranging from 'I just do it' and 'It needs doing' through to 'It settles the reg'.
    I would have thought that if the rifle has been used on the plinking range prior to the comp, this would 'settle the reg'.

Just curious
    Thanks in advance for any answers.

jay.t is offline Unique is an understatement, I'm just a messed up frog pimp.
    I do it

Mostly because i've just topped up with air prior to starting the course,
    and yes i have a regged gun

but if i'd just come from the range with plenty in the tank i probably would'nt'
    it's that long since i shot i can't remember
    Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?

if the reg is "creeping" this will help to eliminate velocity variations.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    I don't shoot comps but I dry fire all my PCP's a few times after filling.
    Master Debater

I do it after a fill-up as i find the first five shots erratic, then true consistant shots follow. It works for me
    CZ455 American .22LR, Marlin 1894 .357 and 1935 8mm Mauser K98k S42/G (RC), Remy .308 AICS, RPR 6.5 creedmoor, no4 1* LB 1943, NRA RCO

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    If you dry fire surely you are not effecting the gun's performance in any way? In pistol shooting dry firing is just a way of honing your trigger technique without firing the gun,never seen anyone do this in HFT
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

It doesn't hurt a PCP to be dry fired, probably 99 times out of 100 it isn't necessary, but since it doesn't harm anything, it's sensible to just check everything's working before starting a comp. If it helps once out of a 100 times, it's worth doing isn't it?

I normally fire a shot into the ground when I start a comp - just to make sure everything's working ok.

chris79 is offline My only vice is being a Derby County fan
    i dry fire after filling as first few shots seem to have bigger variance over the chrono and my gun is regged

Not saying but it does make a difference
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons"

DR Skywalker is offline Doesn't look on dating websites.
    i felt this was a general rule of life hav a quick dry fire before the main event...avoid a premature shot etc