Thread: A Little Black Powder fun :)

A Little Black Powder fun :)

We finally got to try out the new Pietta 1851 Confederate in 44.... wow it is just fantastic. No idea where it went but great fun. To top the day off we had a delegation of visitors from a neighboring club who let me have a go with a .22, 9mm, and 44 magnum handguns!

http://s698.photobucket.com/albums/vv347/twasb2000/
    Air Arms S200 in .22, BSA Ultra in.22, BSA S10BB full length in .177, HW57 in .177,Want a TX200 and maybe a Prosport

Great pictures

But just HOW MUCH powder were you using

Roy

Good point we had only used the minimum 12 grn recommended in the book apart from the last couple of shots where we ramped it up to 15grn.

the only down side was that by the time we had loaded and fired a volley of 5 shots the others on the range had loosed off 3 or 4 volleys and were eager to go check the targets.

Hmmm got my eye on a 357 mag revolver now..
    Air Arms S200 in .22, BSA Ultra in.22, BSA S10BB full length in .177, HW57 in .177,Want a TX200 and maybe a Prosport

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    Great pictures

But just HOW MUCH powder were you using

Roy
    Yes! It looks as though you were shooting a flamethrower!

That's a beautiful revolver.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Thanks for the comments. I must say we were surprised by the amount of flame it produces! I have no idea if this is normal or not, but it certainly makes for a good photo or two. One of the pictures clearly shows part of the cap being blown away vertically. It wasn't that spectacular at the time.

Ace piccies - looked a lot of fun.

I think you need to check your scales and powder type though... it was black powder and not vihtavuori n320 you were using wasn't it?....

McT

I guess from the comments that the flame thrower is not normal. I am sure that the load I used was the minimum recommended, maybe it is just luck that I managed to catch the flash on film. Whilst shooting you see non of the drama captured here.... mind you I usually have my eyes shut by then.