Thread: New law on airgun ownership - this affects you now.

New law on airgun ownership - this affects you now.

I just spotted this announcement on the NSRA website the other day - maybe everyone else was aware of this and it's just me that was hiding under a stone - and I actually don't disagree with the new rules, but if I hadn't spotted this article I would have been breaking the law as I do not keep my airguns in a "robust lockable cupboard". That will now change....

McT

Copied from NSRA website
    New offence keeps airguns under lock and key | Print |
    Thursday, 27 January 2011
    The Home Office has today issued a press release about airgun security. The full text is below.

A new offence to stop under 18s gaining unauthorised access to airguns has been introduced by the government today.

From 10 February, owners will be liable for a fine of up to £1000 if they do not take reasonable precautions to stop unauthorised access to their airgun by people under the age of 18. Safety leaflets informing new owners of the offence will be also be included with every air gun purchased.

Home Office statement

Home Office crime prevention minister James Brokenshire said: 'For the vast majority of responsible airgun owners, keeping their weapon safely locked up is routine. But when an air gun is allowed to get in to the wrong hands the consequences can be tragic.

'Although serious incidents are rare, there have been cases in recent years where children have got hold of carelessly stored airguns that have resulted in severe injuries and even deaths. We want to do everything in our power to keep the risk of such incidents to an absolute minimum.

'With this new legislation, we are saying there is no excuse. If you do not keep your airgun safely away from children you will be prosecuted.'

No additional burden

Adrian Whiting, Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) lead on Firearms and Licensing said: 'The police service supports this control on the security of air weapons. Responsible owners already take sensible precautions to ensure safe storage of their air weapons. This control will place no additional burden on them.

'Sadly, there have been deaths caused by air weapons and frequently the victims are children. For those owners who have a lax attitude to storage, this provision should encourage them to take action to improve safety.

'ACPO has been involved in the work leading to this order which we hope will improve the security of air weapons and prevent harm and serious injuries.'

How to keep your weapon safe:

•store your airgun out of sight and separately from pellets
    •use a robust, lockable cupboard and keep the keys separate and secure
    •always store your airgun inside a house rather than in an out building, such as a garden shed
    •never store a cocked or loaded airgun
    •when using your airgun, keep it under close supervision and never leave it unattended
    Last Updated ( Thursday, 27 January 2011 )

Thread been running a while ... http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ghlight=airgun

The law be as it may-how the heck are people going to get caught UNLESS something tragic occurs? Taking this through to its logical conclusion the Police would have the right of inspection certainly of every household known to own an air rifle-from the sale data from gunshops-and arguably those that don't under the guise of 'reasonable suspicion that you own an airgun guv'.
    Another example of the Law of Unintended Consequences' rearing its ugly head.
    Not that the basic premise is anything other than very sensible. Any responsible shooter who doesn't store his kit uncocked and unloaded under lock and key in a proper cabinet with ammo stored separately is an irresponsible idiot. But that, my dear fellow bbs members, is another story.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Sounds like a good idea,but pretty much unenforceable given that most air guns are unregistered
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

mrto

Quote Originally Posted by tufty View Post
    Sounds like a good idea,but pretty much unenforceable given that most air guns are unregistered
    It is not the governments job to do anything other than possibly offer advise.In the main people are not stupid and laws like this are unwelcome and as you say unenforcable.
    Last edited by mrto; 03-02-2011 at 06:22 AM. Reason: error

Unhappy Good Law

As far as I am concerned this is a great step forward, the wife hates guns and its all I could do to get her to accept an air rifle. Of course having joined a club I now want a Ruger 10/22 to partake in the gallery rifle competitions but that would be a step too far for her I think.
    Now that I "must" have a gunsafe to comply with the new law she wouldn't necessarily be aware that there was a 10/22 in there ...as it would be securely locked and only I would have the key.

Of course getting the local FAO round might be a give away..

No, having the local FEO around whilst she is out is to confirm your cabinet is secure and that you are a good bloke.

The fact he may also issue you with a licence to buy a 10/22 (which I didn't like so I bought a CZ452) is inconsequential...
    Demanding rigidly defined areas of doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    The law be as it may-how the heck are people going to get caught UNLESS something tragic occurs? Taking this through to its logical conclusion the Police would have the right of inspection certainly of every household known to own an air rifle-from the sale data from gunshops-and arguably those that don't under the guise of 'reasonable suspicion that you own an airgun guv'.
    Another example of the Law of Unintended Consequences' rearing its ugly head.
    Not that the basic premise is anything other than very sensible. Any responsible shooter who doesn't store his kit uncocked and unloaded under lock and key in a proper cabinet with ammo stored separately is an irresponsible idiot. But that, my dear fellow bbs members, is another story.
    Possibly. Except that although I'm in the middle of a dismal divorce, one of the few things that my (to be ex-wife) and I agree on is that youngest's air rifle is to stay locked up in my cabinet when they move out and he is to never see it again. See, there are a few good things about divorce!

Anyone want to swap an S200, case and 12l cylinder for a .357 gallery rifle?
    Demanding rigidly defined areas of doubt.