Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stainless/blue steel

stainless/blue steel

Hi all,

Just venturing into B/powder country, just a few very basic questions, my gun of choice pending varation clearance. is a Ruger.

However other than the benifits of cleaning what benfits are there to stainless as opposed to blued steel, an engineer informed me s/steel was weaker than blued steel??

and I'm planning on going on nitro smokless propellent as opposed to b/powder. an old sweat, told me ' good luck' without explaining himself?

from my experiance with a freinds S/steel .45 Ruger and smokeless powder I 'can't fault it? so damm accurate ?

Stevie,

I have just done the same thing, Ruger Old Army and Pyro, advantage to me of Stainless is that it just looks so bloody gorgeous!!

Since buying it, its been stripped, cleaned and lubed, just waiting to shoot it for the first time Saturday.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by steviebee View Post
    Hi all,

Just venturing into B/powder country, just a few very basic questions, my gun of choice pending varation clearance. is a Ruger.

However other than the benifits of cleaning what benfits are there to stainless as opposed to blued steel, an engineer informed me s/steel was weaker than blued steel??

and I'm planning on going on nitro smokless propellent as opposed to b/powder. an old sweat, told me ' good luck' without explaining himself?

from my experiance with a freinds S/steel .45 Ruger and smokeless powder I 'can't fault it? so damm accurate ?
    Sorry - cant' answer your stainless/blued query

All I can say is - I run a stainless ROA with both BP AND Nitro cylinders so I can switch between powder. It is more accurate than I am, great fun & absolutely the dogs danglies !!

Cheers

Roy
    Last edited by harricook; 03-02-2011 at 09:39 AM.

Just a word of warning, make sure the gun you buy is proofed for nitro. Have seen the results of Nitro being put into a BP revolver by mistake, basically turned into a hand granade, top strap gone and 2 of the chambers on the cylinder disintegrated. Its used on the black powder training course at the club as a visual example of what not to do with a BP gun!!!! Be safe out there....

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Please DON'T take this comment as the final word: but, it's my understanding that the (blackpowder) Ruger Old Army is essentially the same revolver as the (nitropowder) Ruger Blackhawk: and those are very strong revolvers, so there should not be any trouble with REASONABLE nitro loads.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Interesting views on this thread as I'm looking to get a ROA aswell. As mentioned earlier I thought you had to have a conversion to use Nitro which also makes it look different aswell. If I was to go down the nitro route I think I would go with the Taurus as I have had a go with one, probably the nearest we will get to using/owning a proper pistol in this country.

If you want to see my ROA with both BP and Nitro cylinders - give me a shout - you are only just down the road

Roy

Question Ruger and nitro

Quote Originally Posted by steviebee View Post
    Hi all,

stainless is easier to clean, but a nice blue job looks good, you cant just put nitro in a BP pistol, it has to have a nitro proofed cylinder and it uses shotgun primers instead of percussion caps, if you have the pistol it will be about £350 to have it converted, so will be cheaper to buy one allready converted, cheers Tezz

Hiya

Tezz is correct £350 for the conversion plus carriage.
    This is a mail I got from Alan Westlake (a very nice man !!) about the ROA nitro cylinder:
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____
    Hi Roy,
    A Nitro Cylinder for a Ruger Old Army in Cal .45 costs £350.00. Carriage to your local Dealer would be £20.00
    you will need a variation to hold the extra cylinder on your FAC.

I have a backlog of work of approximately six months at the moment. If you decide that you want to go ahead, then let me know and I will make a Job Card out and add it to the awaiting labour file. When it surfaces I will ask you to send me the pistol that I will need for about four weeks.

Regards Alan.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

Dont forget the extra 'slot' required for the Spare Cylinder (£26 unless you do it at renewal - or give up another slot - so thats around £400 all in

Cheers

Roy

Anyone on this thread give me an idea what I should be paying for a stainless ROA, £400 seems to be the going rate.

How about Hodgdons 777.Not as corrosive or messy as bp or pyrodex,no licence needed or storage facilities.no fortune on nitro conversion.
    I havent used it but Mcavoys Gunshop told me of it,I told a friend and he started using it,havent seen him for a while but advised still using it.
    I had a ROA but it seemed too clumsy.But there's little option as Pietta quality when I did m/l was dreadful.I got the idea Westlakes Taurus was pushing 4 figures £ ...

Quote Originally Posted by craig9mm View Post
    How about Hodgdons 777.Not as corrosive or messy as bp or pyrodex,no licence needed or storage facilities.no fortune on nitro conversion.
    I havent used it but Mcavoys Gunshop told me of it,I told a friend and he started using it,havent seen him for a while but advised still using it.
    I had a ROA but it seemed too clumsy.But there's little option as Pietta quality when I did m/l was dreadful.I got the idea Westlakes Taurus was pushing 4 figures £ ...
    Clumsy .....clumsy HOW VERY DARE YOU !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lasbrisas View Post
    Anyone on this thread give me an idea what I should be paying for a stainless ROA, £400 seems to be the going rate.
    You just missed this one at Andys @£350 http://www.tfsa.co.uk/45%20old%20army.JPG and yes, about £400 ish seems to be the rate for a clean BP one - earlier seem to be a little cheaper

ok it was very nice but a big mother.I used to pretend I was "Frank".But when winter came and I started spilling powder dropping primers and had purple fingers I realized I was Percy!

Quote Originally Posted by craig9mm View Post
    I got the idea Westlakes Taurus was pushing 4 figures £ ...
    It is over the 4 figures, but this is to supply a LBR, chop the barrel, and replace the cylinder.
    Not just to replace the cylinder as on the ROA.

My ROA and Westlake Taurus

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...3/MKDL2111.jpg

Ive always fancied the westlake converted Taurus but the price has always put me off. I have had a go of one at the club, we have a chap that has just about everything going