Thread: BSA 240 magnums

BSA 240 magnums

Since the day I sold my last 240 I regretted it so I've been looking for a few weeks now for a good condition .177 to replace it. I found one on gunstar the other day and got it rfd'd to tonys Camo today. It's in great condition and shoots just like my old one did, they are a hard pistolmtomshoot accurately as they are very light and have a fair bit of recoil, but it,has to be my favourite air pistol.

I've just had it in bits fully degreased,it and gave it a good Relube they are very simple guns but very well made.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...g/cbfb5a8a.jpg

And,at home with my hw45

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...g/b1b7a33a.jpg

Got myself another one these yesterday from mcavoys in standish.

As new in box with all the paperwork ( sales brochure, instructions, sales tag, pellets and spare breech seal for £140

It's a .177 mk1 like my other one but with a totally different shade walnut grip, I've never seen one in so light a colour before.

I decided I would put a pistol scope on this one so I've got one with opens and one with a scope.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/752d7cb8.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/04145079.jpg

My other one on the left
    http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/43b44975.jpg

And with it's 2x mag scope.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/dff1e01f.jpg

Thumbs up 240

Not one of the experts, but thought the light grips were on the mk1, with the later ones having darker grips, & slightly smaller i think!. enjoy great pistols, ...mike...

Quote Originally Posted by mickson View Post
    Not one of the experts, but thought the light grips were on the mk1, with the later ones having darker grips, & slightly smaller i think!. enjoy great pistols, ...mike...

Nope, the mk2 grips were slightly different (a bit of a deeper finger groove and shape), the mk1 had just an oring breech seal, the mk2 had a breech seal held in by allen bolt and plastic washer.

The walnut grain just varies from gun to gun and as mine both have just the oring seal they are both mk1.

Great pistols that make a hw45 look easy to shoot.

Thumbs up 240

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets Bueller View Post
    Nope, the mk2 grips were slightly different (a bit of a deeper finger groove and shape), the mk1 had just an oring breech seal, the mk2 had a breech seal held in by allen bolt and plastic washer.

The walnut grain just varies from gun to gun and as mine both have just the oring seal they are both mk1.

Great pistols that make a hw45 look easy to shoot.
    Ta for info,I new about the breech seal variations as i had owned both, grip size variation i had read about in the airgun comics after TD had complained about the grips on the mk1. Whatever enjoy great pistols ...mike...

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Very nice.

How does the BSA 240 compare with the HW 45?
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Very nice.

How does the BSA 240 compare with the HW 45?

Now that's a hard one, the hw45 is awesome excellent, trigger amazing accuracy, solid German build quality.

The magnum is a pig to shoot seroiusly hold Sensitive,kicks like a .22 rimfire, with a heavy trigger with a bit of creep in it and the pistol grip is out of shape for a normal hand shape. It's well made but the scope rails are known to fall off as they are glued on.

But if I'm honest give me the magnum all day long, great fun to shoot, and very satisfying when you pull off good groups or a good shot.

Anyone that says the hw45 Is hard to shoot try a magnum for a while and then try the 45 again. It makes the hw45 look easy to shoot.

magnum 240

Have had one for a long time now in .177 flavour,

they can be a real hard pistol to learn but once you get the hang of them what a gun,

I use Crosman Premier Ultra as the 240 tend to shoot high and a heavy pellet helps with this, they also like RWS Super Domes,

And if you are really gifted and or Jammy! they Lurrv Eley Wasps which are now rare as rocking horse poop,

The ones which have the little round cap marking on the heads,

I have just blagged an almost full tin of these, they are destined for my Big Bro's Webley Tracker, he has a large collection of elderly Whisky/Whiskey

And I am easily bribed

If you want a HW 45 get a .22 another redoubtable gun easily good for fifty yards, mine loves RWS Superdomes,

Shoot Safely and have fun,

Bernard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets Bueller View Post
    Now that's a hard one, the hw45 is awesome excellent, trigger amazing accuracy, solid German build quality.

The magnum is a pig to shoot seroiusly hold Sensitive,kicks like a .22 rimfire, with a heavy trigger with a bit of creep in it and the pistol grip is out of shape for a normal hand shape. It's well made but the scope rails are known to fall off as they are glued on.

But if I'm honest give me the magnum all day long, great fun to shoot, and very satisfying when you pull off good groups or a good shot.

Anyone that says the hw45 Is hard to shoot try a magnum for a while and then try the 45 again. It makes the hw45 look easy to shoot.
    Your review makes me lean toward the HW 45.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    ....and you'd miss out on a great gun IMO.

I loved mine and only sold it when forced to by redundancy

There used to be a great in-depth review on the web by a NZ guy called Ian Pellant with a direct comparison with the HW45 and one other which I cannot recall (possibly a Tempest).
    He concluded that the magnum was the better gun in his opinion too.

Found it! (takes a short while to load)
    http://web.archive.org/web/200202131...an/BSA240.html
    Last edited by harvey_s; 31-05-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: found archive copy :)

Thanks for the cite: I will look into that.

Jim