Quote Originally Posted by simmmo View Post
I cannot see how however a truely accurate rifled barrel can be bettered by one, equalled maybe.
I have tested an air rifle fitted with a SmoothTwist barrel. As far as I could tell given the conditions, the accuracy was a match for any rifled barrel I've used, but there were two differences.

The SmoothTwist barrel gave a small but nonetheless welcome improvement in measured ballistic coefficient.

The SmoothTwist barrel achieved excellent accuracy with every quality round head pellet I tried with it. It didn't magically increase the accurate range of hollow point or pointed pellets, but round head JSBs, H&N, RWS, Defiant and 1980s Wasp all performed well, with no barrel cleaning in between changing pellets.

As to whether the barrel could be more accurate than a top lapped rifled barrel, I don't know, but Ben reported tighter groups at 1050 fps than at 12 ft. lbs. (in .177") which Mike Wright believes is due to the twist rate of the barrel we tested. With a slower twist rate, sub-12 ft. lb. accuracy could be even better.