Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lothar Walther vs. Smooth Twist

Lothar Walther vs. Smooth Twist

FX are fitting smooth twist barrels to their rifles. Watch clip below and near the end the guy shows you the difference between the 2 barrels and the marks it has made to the pellets, very intersting stuff. My appologies if someone has already made you all aware of this.

Enjoy, Matt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joguUbL35Ks
    Last edited by matlip; 05-02-2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: ITS WORKING NOW

The link won't work for me?
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Hares Ear View Post
    The link won't work for me?
    The Link was from ASDA.

ATB
    Ray.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!

Last edited by matlip; 05-02-2011 at 07:01 PM. Reason: FIXED LINK

Red face

Erh, uum, erm, urm, err, after all that he eventualy gets round to saying his edgun loses it's accuracy after 150 shots?? Then there's something wrong with it.

I don't think I'll be going out and buying a smooth twist barrel for any of my guns.
    It's the other way around? The smooth twist doesn't lose accuracy as the lead doesn't build up in the barrel like the Lother does. Watch and listen at the end again, you got confussed.

I will be sticking with my walther barrel on the dommie and GC2 and the hammer forged barley twist on the steyr see it improving on any of them

Gary
    ISP Airstream mk3 March F 2.5/25mml. Sportsmatch GC2 mk3 leupold 20/50 Steyr 2014 hft March x 5/50 MTR3 ISP Airstream MK3 March x 8-80 silver, fx impact m3 element helix Ripley AR4 blue Burris 8/32 Steyr 2014 hot all .177

Confused about the model of gun perhaps.
    But if his rifled lothar walther barrel gets fouled after 150 shots with airgun pellets at airgun velocity, then there is something wrong with it.
    A rimfire doesn't foul with far more shots than that, at greater velocities along with burnt powder residue, also there are many centrefire rifles that don't get cleaned either, at even greater velocities still.

I still won't be dashing out for a smooth twist barrel.
    I don't understand your logic. You've made a comment upon the Lothar Walther and how it apparently loses accuracy after 150 shots - ok. However, you have implied you wont be buying a smooth twist barrel, because the Lothar Walther ( with standard rifling) is apparently crap.

There's a Lothar Walther on the Edgun, and a smooth twist on the FX.

I may have got it wrong...

Confused about the model of gun perhaps.
    But if his rifled lothar walther barrel gets fouled after 150 shots with airgun pellets at airgun velocity, then there is something wrong with it.
    A rimfire doesn't foul with far more shots than that, at greater velocities along with burnt powder residue, also there are many centrefire rifles that don't get cleaned either, at even greater velocities still.

I still won't be dashing out for a smooth twist barrel.
    Three EV2's that i know of have to be cleaned after 100-150 with Walther Barrels,it's not that uncommon.

i agree with Hares Ear,

the amount of lead build up shouldnt be as much as hes getting, however im sure ive heard hes shooting at the high end of fac (roughly 40 ftlb)

in contrast ive heard amazing things about the ev2 barrel (formerly known as the czech s200 barrel) infact im getting one soon to replace the straw type barrel on my s410, if it needs cleaning after every 150 shots then so be it, its probably a good thing as looking after your rifle is a necessity anyways.

anyone have experience with both barrels?

andy

Well blow me down I expect that I had better ditch all my rifle barrels and buy a smooth bore with a bit of choke in the end.

Kids with airguns, gullible, and fools easily parted with their brass springs to mind.
    People are just trying to compare two different makes of barrel - who's gullible?

If you have any evidence that the smoothtwist barrel is inferior in some way to the Walther I'd be very interested in seeing it.

christ almighty i'm sure i dont clean my .270 in 150 rounds .stop arguing ladies about pop gun barrels.....kiddin kinda but cmon

"christ almighty i'm sure i dont clean my .270 in 150 rounds .stop arguing ladies about pop gun barrels.....kiddin kinda but cmon "......oh my! i thought this attitude was long dead...if you read a few of the threads on here you will understand...education is all.Hate ignorance.

If you look at the review of the FX Independence in Airgun Shooter you will see that the Smooth Twist Barrel grouped very badly. I wouldn't touch it.
    FX Cyclone .22 + Hawke Sidewinder30 4-16x50 (SR6)

One other thing that should be taken in to consideration regarding all the hype about smooth twist barrels is ease / cost of manufacturing. If they are (and the hype says they are) just externally formed without dies / cutting tools etc the speed, and therefore cost, of manufacturing will be greatly reduced.
    When it comes to profit wording can be manipulated to mean a lot of things

Regarding all the articles about smooth twist, I would take it all with a pinch of salt at the moment. All the reviews and articles so far (that I have seen) have been in magazines and magazines rely on advertising (both current and future), read into that what you will.

I've never seen a smooth twist, let alone tried one, but when I do I'll bear in mind that there's a lot of external forces that can / will try to influence peoples opinion of them.