Thread: Comparing 'scopes (also parallax adjustment)

Comparing 'scopes (also parallax adjustment)

I've been collecting a few 2nd hand scopes to decide which will suit me best for HFT and potentially some hunting (once I can shoot really consistently) and I have a few observations and a question. Please feel free to comment but treat me gently; I admit I've got lousy eyesight and don't know much about optics at all (unless they are filled with whisky)

Bushnell Banner “Dusk & Dawn” 3-9 x 40 EG Not as different from the others in light gathering as the marketing would have you think. Reticle illumination resembles Blackpool, reticle is very thick. Wide angle is effective, though

Centre Point 3-9 x 40AO Surprisingly fine all-rounder with the finest reticle of them all - superb value 'cos it came new with the Benjamin Trail

Richter Optic 6-24 x 50 AOE Very impressed, seems to be very good value for money but eye relief / head positioning is a bit critical. Nice that just the centre of the reticle is illuminated, and the reticle is fine.

Simmons Whitetail Classic 3.5-10 x 40 WA Rather disappointed in this one, but I think the problem is that the parallax may have been adjusted, its effective focus seems to be at well over 50 yards. so here's the question ... is there any way in which i can adjust the parallax on this scope? Oh, here's another puzzle I'd appreciate some enlightenment on: comparing like for like magnification (setting them all on x8), this scope seems to magnify less than the others ... why is that?

At the moment I'd have to say that my two favoured ones are the Richter and the Centre Point, but I'll aim to do a bit more testing before making my decision. But not looking to buy any more just now!
    AA TX200, HFT 500, AS400 .22
    Daystate Grand Prix & Mk3
    Parker-Hale/PAX Phoenix Mk2: .22 & .177

The whitetail is easy to adjust . Unscrew the front ring and turn the inner ring until focused at 30 yards . then scrw ring back on . Make sure you hold inner ring while tightening front ring back up as it can turn the inner ring .

Many thanks - that's exactly the reply I needed!

Dont thank me yet bud until it works Good luck .

Don't just adjust the objective for the sharpest focus and leave it at that; put the scope on a hard surface, look through it at a target 30 yards away and move your head side to side. If the image moves relative to the reticle, that's parallax shift, so refocus the ocular (rear) lens to get the reticle in sharp focus, then refocus the objective, and check again for parallax shift.

The mag difference is very common. For example the sight picture on a TAC 30 on 10 mag looks a lot smaller than a fixed 10x44 Viper. On comparison the Viper would appear to be closer to a fixed 12 mag to me. Not that it matters, i like the Viper and it serves me well on the HFT circuit.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    Don't just adjust the objective for the sharpest focus and leave it at that; put the scope on a hard surface, look through it at a target 30 yards away and move your head side to side. If the image moves relative to the reticle, that's parallax shift, so refocus the ocular (rear) lens to get the reticle in sharp focus, then refocus the objective, and check again for parallax shift.
    Sorry master i should have added the more technical stuff .

Some great responses and advice, many thanks.

Have adjusted the WTC and it is hugely better now. I'm going to try the Bushnell at HFT on Sunday and see how I get on ... have also tuned it a bit but will do some further plinking + setting on the range before I (what I laughingly call) "compete".