Quote Originally Posted by simmmo View Post
Please explain given the conditions?

I don't have access to an indoor range and live half way up a hill. Wind conditions ranged from a very light crossing headwind (enough to cause smoke to drift but not move leaves) to an estimated force 5-6. I shoot here almost every day of the year and am very familiar with the accuracy I can expect in various wind states.

How was this measured I take it that the pellet left the ST barrel at exactly the same velocity as the standard barrel and both pellets/group of pellets weighed individually exactly the same?

If outdoors there was no change in wind humidity etc. between testing each barrel.

My chrono is not accurate enough for absolute measurements, but OK for comparative, and is in a very sheltered spot. The velocities were close though not exact, I did not weigh the individual pellets and the conditions were constant. The difference was quite sufficient to convince me.

My friend Mike Wright tested the same rifle, with a better chrono and the same results - a slightly higher BC than his Rapid with every pellet he tested.

What do you mean by excellent accuracy? Distances shot, group sizes conditions etc.

The most outstanding group was 4.7mm c-t-c at 35 yards with 1980s Wasp (which was probably a fluke, despite being ten pellets), in light wind, in which other group sizes were Defiant 8.9mm, Bisley Superfield 8.2mm, Accupell 6.8mm. At 50 yards, with a 15-20 mph crossing headwind, RWS Superfield, Air Arms Field, H&N FTT all grouped at sub 0.75".
Mike tested with Mosquitos in a slight tail wind and had 8.4mm groups at 35 yards with the Elan and with his Rapid, 10.2MM with his Whiscombe FB (slow twist polygonal barrel) and 17.8mm from all three at 50 yards.

Can't see why it shouldn't be as accurate just can't see how it can be better if at 25yds indoors you can get 5 shot groups a pellet won't go through because that is tight in any unit of measurement centre to centre.

I agree entirely. A pellet can't go through a hole smaller than itself! If the SmoothTwist could be more accurate, it would only be apparent at longer range.

When groups open it is often more to do with user input and poor gun management in regards to fill pressure etc. If the barrel is up to it.

Andy
Nobody knows better than me that groups usually open up due to pilot error.