Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lothar Walther vs. Smooth Twist

Graham2 is offline Slightly camp, makes decent chilli, and has a box of tissues and a can of 3 In 1 in the gun room
    Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    Would you like to point out where I have suggested anyone is actually lying or you have influenced anyone,the actual word was "manipulated". If you don't know what it means I'll get someone to explain. !
    Can you please elaborate on my blinkered approach
    Lastly, don't threaten me until you have bothered to absorb what's written.
    Of course you implied that the reviews were influenced, I'll quote post 19 below this so that people can see exactly what you said!

Graham2 is offline Slightly camp, makes decent chilli, and has a box of tissues and a can of 3 In 1 in the gun room
    Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    One other thing that should be taken in to consideration regarding all the hype about smooth twist barrels is ease / cost of manufacturing. If they are (and the hype says they are) just externally formed without dies / cutting tools etc the speed, and therefore cost, of manufacturing will be greatly reduced.
    When it comes to profit wording can be manipulated to mean a lot of things

Regarding all the articles about smooth twist, I would take it all with a pinch of salt at the moment. All the reviews and articles so far (that I have seen) have been in magazines and magazines rely on advertising (both current and future), read into that what you will.

I've never seen a smooth twist, let alone tried one, but when I do I'll bear in mind that there's a lot of external forces that can / will try to influence peoples opinion of them.
    As someone who has actually carried out tests on a SmoothTwist barrelled Ruger10/22 and achieved fantastic results with it at 100 yards, I take exception to a prick like you saying that I have been influenced in any way! You are of course entitled to your opinion, but as you have stated, you've never seen a smooth twist, let alone tried one, so why don't you just **** off until you have!

There, stick that in your (non SmoothTwist) pipe and smoke it, as my Gran used to say.
    Last edited by Graham2; 09-02-2011 at 11:43 PM.

smooth twist

here we go again, throwing dummys out of the pram.

It's my pram and my dummy, I'll do what I want thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Hares Ear View Post
    Time will tell.
    If accuracy and consistency can be improved with a 'Smooth Twist Barrel' it will not be long before rifled barrels are being phased out.

At present, current production barrels are better than most shooters are capable of shooting them.
    Many current airguns in production are easily capable of producing tiny groups now. At airgun ranges any improvement in accuracy alone will not be obvious. Improvement will only be discernable when the minute of angle opens up at ranges far beyond the capabilities of an airgun.
    It will take far more than a bloke on a step ladder shooting into a bucket of water, with a handful of bent pellets to convince me of the need to ditch my collection.
    I dont think he was directly trying to influence you or anyone else to "ditch there collection", that would be pointless and stupid, something you seem to be an expert on.

*Stands...repeatedly pings glass with spoon...*

Gentlemen of the BBS. May we be reminded that polite and respectful debate is the requirement here, as is a reasonable amount of subject knowledge should you decide to make less-than-subtle allegations of 'manipulation for profit'.

As ever, please think before you post and further intervention from the Mods will not be needed.

I thank you.

*Sits...glares...orders more port...*

I for one think there will be a great market for these barrels on 1022s if they offer any greater accuracy. So many of the aftermarket barrels come from the U.S. at great expense, so the market would eat a homegrown product that shows an improvement over the stock ruger barrel.

There are lots of arguements over the meaning of "pellet fussy" with respect to airgun barrels, but there is no doubt in my mind that a .22lr barrel which would cope better with different manufacturers ammunition would be a real advantage.

I have been reading through this and I would like to add that I have tried three ST barrels in three different rifles and they were all outstanding in both .177 and .22

I have nothing to gain from saying this at all, I have been friends with Ben for quite a few years but I wouldnt say something is outstanding if it wasnt because for one thing people who bought them would be pretty pissed off with me!

These barrels have already won several BR comps in the US and those boys would soon complain if there was any doubt with performance at all!

When I first heard about the ST barrel I looked at the calendar to see if it was April 1 But this barrel works superbly, so those doubting/slagging it off should try one first before telling us all how rubbish they are

As for cheap to produce, I know that over £90K has been spent in development of just a few barrels, so if you think thats cheap then you must have some sort of salary

I dont know if the ST idea would work on Centrefire rifles what with the pressures involved but if it did then it would change CF shooting forever, imagine having high velocity rifles that dont need new barrel every 1000 shots, the custom barrel makers would all be jumping off cliffs And the joy of far, far, less barrel cleaning

I dont know how Ben thought of this one, but as hes a boffin who is always improving things I aint too surprised, one thing I would say is feel sorry for any car dealer that sells Ben a new car, because if it dont do what it says on the packet they will soon know about it, Audi for one

Smooth Twist is something I am surprised hasnt been snapped up by a big company who makes barrels and shelved, like they did with the everlasting light bulb decades ago
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Interesting....... but not yet useful?

As said above, an interesting thread but perhaps almost pointless until such time as the ST barrels become widely available in bores, lengths and diameters that will permit individuals to buy and fit (or have fitted) them to their own actions. There seems to be a number of people on this forum who have tried ST barrels, but I'm getting the feeling that unless you buy an FX rifle they are not generally available (although it appears that BR shooters in the States have a source).
    I think it would be helpful if someone in the know (Ben, I presume?) would post a list of who is presently offering ST barrels to the general public and in what sizes, that way the detractors could have a look for themselves. I didn't find Terry Doe's recent magazine article of much use other than to give the impression that a final design for the ST has yet to be decided as tests are continuing with different twist rates etc.
    Are these barrels in widespread use? I'm confused........ but that's easily done

Quote Originally Posted by Graham2 View Post
    As someone who has actually carried out tests on a SmoothTwist barrelled Ruger10/22 and achieved fantastic results with it at 100 yards, I take exception to a prick like you saying that I have been influenced in any way! You are of course entitled to your opinion, but as you have stated, you've never seen a smooth twist, let alone tried one, so why don't you just **** off until you have!

There, stick that in your (non SmoothTwist) pipe and smoke it, as my Gran used to say.
    Hi Graham

Please, have you any links to your testing?

Many thanks

Cam

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    As said above, an interesting thread but perhaps almost pointless until such time as the ST barrels become widely available in bores, lengths and diameters that will permit individuals to buy and fit (or have fitted) them to their own actions. There seems to be a number of people on this forum who have tried ST barrels, but I'm getting the feeling that unless you buy an FX rifle they are not generally available (although it appears that BR shooters in the States have a source).
    I think it would be helpful if someone in the know (Ben, I presume?) would post a list of who is presently offering ST barrels to the general public and in what sizes, that way the detractors could have a look for themselves. I didn't find Terry Doe's recent magazine article of much use other than to give the impression that a final design for the ST has yet to be decided as tests are continuing with different twist rates etc.
    Are these barrels in widespread use? I'm confused........ but that's easily done
    Good post.

Cam

Theres already a waiting list I imagine, I have ordered two from Ben but I have no idea when they will be done
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    Theres already a waiting list I imagine, I have ordered two from Ben but I have no idea when they will be done
    how much they cost, i might give one a go aswell

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewjames View Post
    how much they cost, i might give one a go aswell
    You might need to know the diameter and length they come in 1st?!
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by bengarzy View Post
    I dont think he was directly trying to influence you or anyone else to "ditch there collection", that would be pointless and stupid, something you seem to be an expert on.
    As the reply I made this morning has been removed, I will repost it.

I am disapointed, I was eager for you to respond with tests and information, instead you have resorted to personal insults.
    Robin