Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lothar Walther vs. Smooth Twist

What has got us fac air lads keen is the possibilites of a non fouling barrel which is the achiilies heel of normal rifled barrels.

neil
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam. View Post
    Good post.

Cam
    To be fair Cam, and Severnsider, I dissagree, though not with any venom

I dont claim to be an authority on ST barrels. Ben has very kindly fed me the odd titbit, which I keep to myself...you never know.

I have not tested an ST barrel...firstly because I would immigrate immediately, and secondly I cant shoot for shit so would'nt know a smooth twist from a 105!!

But even a casual read of the latest AGW should tell you that the barrel is still under development in several areas, twist rate etc.

Although they are being used on certain FX guns, I would guess that Ben will be testing the concept to death before releasing it screaming and kicking onto the general market.

He aint daft, and if he was ready, I would think there would be a smooth twist solution for everything and anything.

The barrel does seem to offer some real advances in terms of accuracy, and flexibility in terms of pellets you can use. It is also reputed to be more efficient and the pellets a bit quieter in the air, but the real genius is what it means in terms of time and rejection savings to the manufacturer.

In house barrel making may once more become viable.

As for binning my current collection...WTF. But in the unlikely event the barrels wear out, at least there may be an alternative replacement
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

And no offence taken, Para! Thanks for your comment. I (and others I am sure) am fascinated by the product but remain confused to an extent by it being available to FX and to US BR shooters yet as you say, and according to the magazines, development work continues. Perhaps development work continues between BT and FX in tandem. FX appear to produce the barrels for their own rifles, but BT will eventually produce (or have them produced) for other manufacturers and/or as after-market replacements for a variety of rifles?
    I dunno - hence my asking the question!
    Cheers,
    Mike

Buxted County HFT Republic of Crowzilla Sussex
    Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    And no offence taken, Para! Thanks for your comment. I (and others I am sure) am fascinated by the product but remain confused to an extent by it being available to FX and to US BR shooters yet as you say, and according to the magazines, development work continues. Cheers,
    Mike
    Might get some answers here Also might need to clarify with the FX shooters whether they are rifled or ST as I believe that both may be in use.

Great thread glad I don't drink and type anymore. PMSL at some of the toy chucking.

My take on it is this like a few have said before or nearlly said/typed. Smooth Twist may lead to less rejection of the currently supplied rifled barrels by the assemblers of production air rifles and will possibly be an improvement on some that get through quality control and into our gun cabinets. Therefore saving the makers money and us frustration. There is nothing worse when benchrest shooting than a mediocre barrel when coupled with a high end precharged air rifle. 10x 10x 10x 10x 6.

I cannot see how however a truely accurate rifled barrel can be bettered by one, equalled maybe. Lap lap lap.

Monkey
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

I dont think any makers are going to find the ST barrels much cheaper than the LW

I was very surprised by the fact el cheapo pellets still shot tiny groups, I was expecting the ST barrels to be accurate as I know other testers that had already tried them, seems that as long as weight is consistent shape isnt all that critical
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    I dont think any makers are going to find the ST barrels much cheaper than the LW

I was very surprised by the fact el cheapo pellets still shot tiny groups, I was expecting the ST barrels to be accurate as I know other testers that had already tried them, seems that as long as weight is consistent shape isnt all that critical
    I don't think the ST will be cheaper as obviously being new technology with new set up costs etc and different methods of production, I have no doubt that unit costs will be more.

However it appears that the shear wastage of LW barrels both with rejection at assembly and complaint from end users will perhaps result in a cost saving for the big makers. Unless of course there is no LW rejection.
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by simmmo View Post
    I cannot see how however a truely accurate rifled barrel can be bettered by one, equalled maybe.
    I have tested an air rifle fitted with a SmoothTwist barrel. As far as I could tell given the conditions, the accuracy was a match for any rifled barrel I've used, but there were two differences.

The SmoothTwist barrel gave a small but nonetheless welcome improvement in measured ballistic coefficient.

The SmoothTwist barrel achieved excellent accuracy with every quality round head pellet I tried with it. It didn't magically increase the accurate range of hollow point or pointed pellets, but round head JSBs, H&N, RWS, Defiant and 1980s Wasp all performed well, with no barrel cleaning in between changing pellets.

As to whether the barrel could be more accurate than a top lapped rifled barrel, I don't know, but Ben reported tighter groups at 1050 fps than at 12 ft. lbs. (in .177") which Mike Wright believes is due to the twist rate of the barrel we tested. With a slower twist rate, sub-12 ft. lb. accuracy could be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    I have tested an air rifle fitted with a SmoothTwist barrel. As far as I could tell given the conditions, the accuracy was a match for any rifled barrel I've used, but there were two differences.
    Please explain given the conditions?

The SmoothTwist barrel gave a small but nonetheless welcome improvement in measured ballistic coefficient.
    How was this measured I take it that the pellet left the ST barrel at exactly the same velocity as the standard barrel and both pellets/group of pellets weighed individually exactly the same?

If outdoors there was no change in wind humidity etc. between testing each barrel.

The SmoothTwist barrel achieved excellent accuracy with every quality round head pellet I tried with it. It didn't magically increase the accurate range of hollow point or pointed pellets, but round head JSBs, H&N, RWS, Defiant and 1980s Wasp all performed well, with no barrel cleaning in between changing pellets.
    What do you mean by excellent accuracy? Distances shot, group sizes conditions etc.

As to whether the barrel could be more accurate than a top lapped rifled barrel, I don't know, but Ben reported tighter groups at 1050 fps than at 12 ft. lbs. (in .177") which Mike Wright believes is due to the twist rate of the barrel we tested. With a slower twist rate, sub-12 ft. lb. accuracy could be even better.
    Can't see why it shouldn't be as accurate just can't see how it can be better if at 25yds indoors you can get 5 shot groups a pellet won't go through because that is tight in any unit of measurement centre to centre.

When groups open it is often more to do with user input and poor gun management in regards to fill pressure etc. If the barrel is up to it.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by simmmo View Post
    Please explain given the conditions?

I don't have access to an indoor range and live half way up a hill. Wind conditions ranged from a very light crossing headwind (enough to cause smoke to drift but not move leaves) to an estimated force 5-6. I shoot here almost every day of the year and am very familiar with the accuracy I can expect in various wind states.

How was this measured I take it that the pellet left the ST barrel at exactly the same velocity as the standard barrel and both pellets/group of pellets weighed individually exactly the same?

If outdoors there was no change in wind humidity etc. between testing each barrel.

My chrono is not accurate enough for absolute measurements, but OK for comparative, and is in a very sheltered spot. The velocities were close though not exact, I did not weigh the individual pellets and the conditions were constant. The difference was quite sufficient to convince me.

My friend Mike Wright tested the same rifle, with a better chrono and the same results - a slightly higher BC than his Rapid with every pellet he tested.

What do you mean by excellent accuracy? Distances shot, group sizes conditions etc.

The most outstanding group was 4.7mm c-t-c at 35 yards with 1980s Wasp (which was probably a fluke, despite being ten pellets), in light wind, in which other group sizes were Defiant 8.9mm, Bisley Superfield 8.2mm, Accupell 6.8mm. At 50 yards, with a 15-20 mph crossing headwind, RWS Superfield, Air Arms Field, H&N FTT all grouped at sub 0.75".
    Mike tested with Mosquitos in a slight tail wind and had 8.4mm groups at 35 yards with the Elan and with his Rapid, 10.2MM with his Whiscombe FB (slow twist polygonal barrel) and 17.8mm from all three at 50 yards.

Can't see why it shouldn't be as accurate just can't see how it can be better if at 25yds indoors you can get 5 shot groups a pellet won't go through because that is tight in any unit of measurement centre to centre.

I agree entirely. A pellet can't go through a hole smaller than itself! If the SmoothTwist could be more accurate, it would only be apparent at longer range.

When groups open it is often more to do with user input and poor gun management in regards to fill pressure etc. If the barrel is up to it.

Andy
    Nobody knows better than me that groups usually open up due to pilot error.

If these barrels deliver what the people in the know claim, then they will be the holy grail for FT shooters. There's not that much improvement available in pure group size from a good barrel and with good pellets. But if a barrel could deliver that level of accuracy, reduce the need to seek out specific batches of pellets, reduce the need to clean, and all that together with a potential improvement in wind performance from the better BC I can see the tubes (and rifles fitted with them) changing hands for considerable sums.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    If these barrels deliver what the people in the know claim, then they will be the holy grail for FT shooters. There's not that much improvement available in pure group size from a good barrel and with good pellets. But if a barrel could deliver that level of accuracy, reduce the need to seek out specific batches of pellets, reduce the need to clean, and all that together with a potential improvement in wind performance from the better BC I can see the tubes (and rifles fitted with them) changing hands for considerable sums.
    To pick up on the barrel cleaning, I forgot to mention in my reply to Simmmo that I shot a total of 14 different pellets through the Elan and did not clean the barrel once.

The potential lessening of susceptibility to wind drift through improved BC did not escape our attention. My first tests were in a following force 5-6 crossing at roughly 30 degrees and veering. At 50 yards: Mosquito 35mmx34mm. Bisley LRG 37mmx34mm. Superdome 36mmx22mm. The Mosquito group was only 8 pellets because it took me nine shots to get on target, the others 17 pellets each. Three very different pellets, three very similar groups in atrocious conditions.

In rimfire tests the ST barrel has matched the accuracy of target Anschutz barrels, you really cant get much better than that, to measure any difference would have taken really precise measuring, one (tiny) hole groups are good enough for me
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    In rimfire tests the ST barrel has matched the accuracy of target Anschutz barrels, you really cant get much better than that, to measure any difference would have taken really precise measuring, one (tiny) hole groups are good enough for me
    True Baz you can't but then again like you said you can't get any better my Match 54 was made in 1968 and still shoots 5 shot single hole groups the bullet will not pass through at 25yds. Maybe this just shows quality control and modern machine methods are no better and possibly worse than they used to be. Oh the 54 is bedded in a Mr Moon stock though.

Andy