Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calibre change on Rapid Mk2?

Guesty Guest

Calibre change on Rapid Mk2?

I've got an FAC Rapid Mk2 in .20, and I'm thinking about swapping it over to .22.
    It's got a Ben Taylor reg running at about 1950PSI, not a modified Theoben reg. Apart from the obvious barrel and mags, what else would need to be changed? I'd be after the most accurate barrel available, up to a maximum of 18" long. I assume a Career barrel would be best? If I did swap over could the reg be left alone, or would it need adjusting?

Thanks,

Guesty.

Hi Guesty,

You'd need to add a probe assembley to your list. You would probably be best taking advise from ben as to reg pressure, but I can't see why it would have to change.......you'd just have to be happy with whatever FT/LBS it was doing. You'll likewise have to apply for a variation to swap from .20 to .22. As for barrels, Theoben's own have always been good enough for me (but I am a naff shot). There are plenty of choices out there.........again, speak to Ben or Theoben. You could stick with a standard 16" barrel, you'd just get a few less shots and little less power........Oh, you might have to check the exit hole on your silencer will take a .22 pellet

Robin

Guesty Guest
    Thanks Rob.
    It'd be nice to keep the reg the same pressure (to save a few quid!), but I suspect that with a longer barrel in .22 that I'd be too powerful to use AA Fields / JSB pellets. I think they'd be around the supersonic mark, which would make for awful accuracy?
    C'mon you FAC Rapid guys, give me a clue.

Guesty.

Arrow

I would be interested to know why you would want to spend the money involved in changing? Most shooters doing the change go the other way FROM .22 TO .20 as they become convinced about terminal energy, downrange accuracy etc being better in .20. There is however no doubt that .20 ammo is expensive and that the choice is poor and that .20 shooters are vulnerable to a reduction in quality of their chosen pellet unless they buy enough to last them for ever-and who does that?
    I own a Rapid 2 FAC in .22 set to 35 ft lb which gives me around 70 shots per fill with 21.3 grain BisMag pellets. I have contemplated a swap to .20 so I am really interested in your view. I have to tell you that this Rapid 2 is the BEST air rifle I have ever owned, it is really good-but so it should be and I haven't yet used the MFR which many people on this forum feel handles better.
    I think you know now that to convert you will need a new barrel, magazine and probe. As you also know, the longer barrel is more economical with air and that is what Theoben fit as standard to a FAC Rapid 2. Some people prefer the handling of the shorter barrel in FAC Rapids, I really don't mind either. Even with the longer barrel you should be OK with the JSB pellets (16 grains) because at, say, 35 ft lb-the formula says 992 fps but Bismags are certainly fine (860 fps) and that is what I use. Talk to Ben- if you go ahead with this he MUST be the man to advise you and to do the work.

I recently fitted a HW 21 inch barrel to my FAC Rapid (.22) reason being that Ben Taylor has them ready to fit and at reasonable price

It shoots superbly using JSBs or Bismags, I have previously fitted quite a few makes of barrel to Rapids, Lothar Walther are a good choice too, and probably the best value of the lot would be a BSA as they are very good value for money and easily available

baz

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Matt, no way will it go anywhere near supersonic if you keep the same reg pressure, more like 900-950 fps.

Personally, I think the arrival of the 16 grain JSB and all it's clones (AA/Daystate/Ripp) has blown away the argument for .20 at FAC levels.

It used to be that a 14.3 grain .20 premier with a BC of 0.032 represented the best balance of trajectory and downrange energy. However, with the JSB having the same BC, and with the extra efficiency of .22 over .20 making up for the 30 fps that the JSB would otherwise be down by, they have the same trajectory, but the .22 has a tad more power and makes a bigger hole.

Also, of course, you have far more alternative pellet choices.

at 12 FP, .20 gives you another 5 yards (all things being equal) over .22.

In addition to my own BC testing, have a looksee here....

http://www.straightshooters.com/ourtake/sup12grid.html

NB the Daystate figure of 0.028 is rather low - 0.032 is more usual

HTH - JB

PS AXL, why .177 FAC ? Would be 24 FP, approx 1000 fps with 10.5 grain stuff (BisMags or CPHs) .177 is a very small hole with nil expansion, doesn't increase your range as much as a .22 FAC would IMHO (i.e. killzone remains small as damage is limited)
    Last edited by Shed tuner; 10-01-2005 at 04:25 PM. Reason: .177 FAC footnote
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Makes sense now mate

The limit is the speed (1000 fps), any more accuracy goes to cr@p. I guess if you use heavier pellets (e.g. Dau sung, about 16 grain in .177 IIRC), then you coudl push the power up, but they have poor energy retention in .177, and you'll gain nothing in trajectory terms.

Also, your shots per charge will go way down, and the noise way up.

Maybe you could shoot the monkey that nicked my lunchbag whilst we were in the passport checking office and climbed up a tree to eat it ? I'll fight for me food, but that bugger had some LARGE teeth

ATB - JB

PS You got any idea if ther .177 thing is similar in Zambia ? Toyed with taking something over there, but never got round to it. Other thing is not so much to shoot in Lusaka
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Glad to hear you gun thing has been sorted

As to the farms, yeah, I'm thinking that way...

Finally, 20 - see my earlier post for my thoughts - .22 or .177 for me, .25 for the big stuff (great monkey gun ), can't see the point of .20 FAC

IIRC Neil (Stillair) runs an FAC .177 Rapid at 1000 fps - I think he likes it

Take care mate,

JB

Arrow

For AXL, from the Theoben website the .20 and .25 Rapid 2 is fitted with the Walther barrel whereas the .177 and .22 versions use Anschutz. Good shooting.

I have a MFR running at 1000fps in .177 and Barracudas, it is very nice and even though its no better than 1000fps in .22 it does seems to be as hard hitting

Around 30ftlbs and .22 JSBs are still my favourite, any more and I will take a rimfire, cant be arsed with a Career etc

Eventually we will see JSBs in .20, that will be interesting

baz

My mk11 runs a bit over 1000fps and give 60 good shots with 10.5 prems. Power curve should be with ora8i presently for viewing. or mail me for a copy
    Last edited by stillair1; 10-01-2005 at 08:36 PM.

Guesty Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by baz
    Around 30ftlbs and .22 JSBs are still my favourite
    I was hoping for .22 JSBs at just under the maximum safe speed, so around 950fps say. I was thinking that I might go for a slightly longer barrel just to get them up to this speed, hopefully 18" would be enough? I've heard that Weihrauch barrels are more efficient than others, i.e. they have less friction thus giving higher velocities -is this actually true?

Quote Originally Posted by baz
    Eventually we will see JSBs in .20, that will be interesting
    I really hope so as they definately seem to be amongst the best .22 and .177 pellets around. Any idea if they are coming soon, if at all?

Guesty.

Matt, not sure a JSB will handle anything much over 900 fps, and an 18" barrel is about the shortest I'd use on a FAC Rapid. If you really want to try to get them to 950 without turning them inside out, I reckon you'd have to use the 21" barrel, or a third party one

AXL, buy them secondhand mate, especially FAC airguns as the market is very limited. 1000fps 10.5 grain pellet = 23.5 foot pounds

Hi Matt
    I have the barrel you want (any length up to 21 1/2" ) at 18 it will run at around 30+ without any changes to the action, they are choked Weihrauch, call me if required.
    Regards Ben

Good thing with Rapids is that they are so "modular" (like mecanno ) that there's not that much to bugger up that can't be simply fixed. Only things to avoid are Joe Young conversions, etc. where the action is actually drilled. If you "find" one and want it checked out, I'd be happy to assist - although geographically that may not be ideal, but who knows ? The seller could be in my back yard

There's a few other people on here who I'm sure would be happy to do likewise - once you've found one why not post up and see who's available in a a location that works....

ATB - JB