Thread: smith and wesson 586 problem

smith and wesson 586 problem

Hi,ive just bought a 586 .177,6 inch,which wont work properly,firstly when you pull the trigger it will fire but then the trigger stays in,you have to push it forward manually,it also wont index the mag either,does anyone have any ideas or a link to a strip down guide or something as im going to have a look inside tomorrow night
    bikeboy luvs his monkeys

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Just take the gas out first & take the right hand side plate off.
    Take reference photos for reassembly & shout if you have any problems, I can pop the side off one & take you some detail photos if you need a good working gun for comparison,
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

I also have one of these from 2002 but have had no problems with it. I recently took my TX200 to simon the airgun Dr for a V-mach kit and got talking about guns. I mentioned my S&W and he mentioned your exact problem. If you dont feel confortable doing the work I would highly recommend him. Im not easy to please but was over the moon with the work he done. Im still a crap shot though. hope u sort it mate. Chris

Thanks for for the very kind offer nick,on loosening the screws that hold the side plate it freed up and the trigger worked fine,i took it apart and found the mag indexing spring(shaped like a V well almost) broke and a bit of the ali lever that holds the mag holder in the gun broke,i reckon someones been in there before,so it looks like im going to give up on it as i cant find anywhere that does spares
    Chris thanks for your input,i had a feeling this wasnt a solitary case,just got to find out what its worth now and sell it.
    bikeboy luvs his monkeys

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Chambers Gun Spares do Smith parts

http://www.gunspares.co.uk/shopdispl...6amp%3B+Wesson

I've ordered parts through their website & the service has always been exemplary
    ATB,
    Nick

I believe Brocock do the parts as well.

Rayee is offline I don't need a gun; I've got an attack butterfly.
    Most gunshops will have a brocock account.
    Last edited by Rayee; 10-02-2011 at 12:03 PM.
    Toilet trained since March

Thanks guys,and thanks nick for the link,i did look on chambers before i posted here asking for info, but for some reason(didnt look properly) i never found the smith and wesson listed in the spares,i have now using the link and ordered the parts last night,ive used them before so i expect the bits will be here over the next few days as they are very good.I think brocock would have been cheaper as ive had stuff from them before but gunspares is easier when you can look at the diagrams and see the exact parts you need without trying to explain it over the phone,once again thanks for your help guys
    bikeboy luvs his monkeys

Great to hear you're getting there.
    Shout if you need any assistance,
    ATB,
    Nick

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Good luck with getting it sorted, Barrie.

This must be the week for bad things with Umarex revolvers. Earlier this week, I had to send my 686 back to the factory for repairs. It's been having problems puncturing the CO2 bulb, which have progressed to the point where it WON'T puncture the CO2 bulb.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Funny you should say that jim,when i got the 586 i stuck a new bulb in it tightened it up and nothing happened,i couldnt get it any tighter so reluctantley undid it slowly and nothing happened ,it was a duff bulb unbranded i bought aload of them 18months ago :and only used a few so far,i hope theres no more like itGood luck with yours jim,you will have to let us know what the problem was,cheers.
    bikeboy luvs his monkeys

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    No, I've been using good quality bulbs, Barrie - Crosman - and I can struggle putting a bulb in the Smith till I have to stop for breath: and then turn around and put the same bulb in my Crosman .357 or Walther PPK/s, and not have any problem.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

It sounds like the bit that punctures the bulb might be broken or bent. It really doesn't take much effort to pierce on mine, given all the leverage available from the lever on the grip. I've tried mine with walther and JSR bulbs.

It may not be this but Crosman bulbs are different to Umarex bulbs.
    They are shorter and harder to pierce.
    I tend to use like for like if I can.
    Some of the older Crosman pistols have pretty hefty piercing mechanisms compared to the Umarex ones.