I've been collecting a few 2nd hand scopes to decide which will suit me best for HFT and potentially some hunting (once I can shoot really consistently) and I have a few observations and a question. Please feel free to comment but treat me gently; I admit I've got lousy eyesight and don't know much about optics at all (unless they are filled with whisky)

Bushnell Banner “Dusk & Dawn” 3-9 x 40 EG Not as different from the others in light gathering as the marketing would have you think. Reticle illumination resembles Blackpool, reticle is very thick. Wide angle is effective, though

Centre Point 3-9 x 40AO Surprisingly fine all-rounder with the finest reticle of them all - superb value 'cos it came new with the Benjamin Trail

Richter Optic 6-24 x 50 AOE Very impressed, seems to be very good value for money but eye relief / head positioning is a bit critical. Nice that just the centre of the reticle is illuminated, and the reticle is fine.

Simmons Whitetail Classic 3.5-10 x 40 WA Rather disappointed in this one, but I think the problem is that the parallax may have been adjusted, its effective focus seems to be at well over 50 yards. so here's the question ... is there any way in which i can adjust the parallax on this scope? Oh, here's another puzzle I'd appreciate some enlightenment on: comparing like for like magnification (setting them all on x8), this scope seems to magnify less than the others ... why is that?

At the moment I'd have to say that my two favoured ones are the Richter and the Centre Point, but I'll aim to do a bit more testing before making my decision. But not looking to buy any more just now!