Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cometa `Indian`, appraisals

Cometa `Indian`, appraisals

I handled one of these today in a local gunshop and was quite taken with it. I liked the weight /balance and excellent grip to frame angle.

Would any owners let me know what it shoots like.
    What is its m.v. , accuracy etc.

Thanks guys.

Pete.

Save you're money and buy a HW 45 yes it costs about £100 more but you get a trigger a Olympic grade shooter would like, a build quality second to none, accuracy , 2 power settings (in .177) and up to 5.5 foot pounds!! All in you get a gun that's worth £200 more than the Indian.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Yes I now its an excellent gun but I really dislike the HW45, a stupid attempt to make it look like a Colt 1911. The Cometa is certainly not as good, but I like the way it handles and shoots and it does not have some Ramboesque imitation firearm look to it. It looks like an air pistol.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    Yes I now its an excellent gun but I really dislike the HW45, a stupid attempt to make it look like a Colt 1911. The Cometa is certainly not as good, but I like the way it handles and shoots and it does not have some Ramboesque imitation firearm look to it. It looks like an air pistol.
    I like the look of the Indian to an extent but it's still reminiscent in some ways of the "Webley Skinny Plumbing" image, something I've no love for
    With the HW-45 I think they were really trying to give the sights and cocking mechanism a well engineered platform and whilst doing that why not make it the size, weight and look of a full bore pistol? The design also makes space for a fully adjustable true two stage trigger, another advantage over most of the ugly, emaciated "Two Tubes Nailed Together" pistols
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

cometa indian appraisals

Thanks for input so far. I realise the H.W 45 is the benchmark, I used to own one so I do know how good it is. However , I would still like appraisals of the `Indian` in its own right, thanks.
    I would like to know how it shoots, is it accurate (compared to similar spring guns), what`s the trigger like,etc.

I used to own a Honda VFR 750, but still prefer my Enfield `bullet`.

Keep `em coming.
    Pete.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Pete,
    I assume you've read this

http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/co...piston_pistol/

??
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

cometa `indian` appraisals

Thanks Nick,
    I hadn`t seen that. Would still like views from long term owners as well though.
    regards,
    Pete.

mrto

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    Thanks Nick,
    I hadn`t seen that. Would still like views from long term owners as well though.
    regards,
    Pete.
    I bought one a couple of years ago new for 125 pounds(black finish)and personally like it very much.It is a little quirky to load etc and the trigger pull a little long and creepy but nevertheless predictable.I find it accurate enough at plinking ranges and moderately powerful 3plus ftlbs.It is fairly robustly constructed my only real criticism would be the plastic breech block,though that functions well enough.I also have an HW45 in .177 a Webley(snigger) Alecto in .177 and a Falcon PCP pistol amongst others to compare it against.
    Of course if you can try one before you buy that would be the way to go but very few
    people seem to own them.I hope this is of some help ATB.

Thanks mrto,
    That is helpfull. I can improve the trigger I am sure. I know it isn`t a HW 45, but I like the look of the `Indian` and its querky features.
    Life would be very boring if we all owned only HW 45`s.

pete.

I agree with mrto the only real drawback is the plastic. It's robust, but doesnt feel robust if you follow me. Personally I like it as much as the HW, which is to say both are "ok" but neither have soul. If you follow me
    Morally flawed

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I owned a nickle one a while back and for what it's worth it wasn't a 'keeper' for me, but my recollections are...
    * Moderately powerful
    * Quite well made IMO.
    * Different
    * Very easy cocking stoke, a tad ackward - but should last well.
    * Fixed barrel
    However, things I didn't like were...
    * Plastic breech, cheapened what was other wise a well made gun
    * Quite heavy
    * And the killer for me - a trigger that was really heavy (but then again I certainly wouldn't describe a HW45 trigger as something even a club standard shooter would be happy with either...)

Thanks all. I think your appraisals have endorsed what I initialy felt on handling one in the shop.
    I am going to try one.
    I am not worried about the creepy trigger pull as I know I can sort that.
    The plastic breech plug doesn`t worry me as long as it works. Plastic is o.k you know.
    I didn`t find the weight too heavy, but then I am used to firing real firearms.

I will post a review on here once I have tried it for a month or so.
    Thanks to everyone who replied.
    You can still post if you wish.
    pete

I've had one for a few years (Bought it from our sponsor just before the VCR act came in )and like it a lot. I prefer its looks to those of the HW45 (I also own one of those) and while the build quality isn't the same I find it more fun to shoot. They can be surprisingly accurate and are quite powerful. I think that most HW45s are running about 4.5 foot/lbs and think that the Indian is fairly close to that, I've never chronographed mine though so can't say for certain. It certainly makes the discs on my 'Magnetic Target' disappear nice and quick! I really like the way it looks (reminds me of Deckard's pistol from 'Bladerunner' somehow!) and it is certainly comfortable to hold. It's got a certain something that the HW45 lacks. Mine's not given me any trouble. The trigger is a little heavy but it's still running in really and might improve with use. It's still accurate though, my only bugbear with it is I would like a more easily adjustable rearsight.

Well worth the money I think!

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Pete,
    I assume you've read this

http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/co...piston_pistol/

??
    ATB,
    Nick
    Sounds like a decent appraisal, except for the "and currently retailing below the £200 mark, makes it in my view, something of a bargain. "

Some bargain when they can be had for €110 in Spain!
    http://www.armeria-merino.com/00/2_C...0Air%20Gun?p=2
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Cometa

One just come up for sale on Gun star!!...mike...