Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best rifle and scope for 100m

best rifle and scope for 100m

I've just got into target shooting and would like to shoot paper targets at 100m. Could anyone tell me what they think is the most accurate air rifle and the best scope for the job? money is not an issue.

I'd put my Airwolf up against anything at that range Money no object for a scope, I'd look at a March
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons"

jonezy25 is offline Over 1200 posts and still haven't got one
    Airwolf or 'tuned' rapid, with either a lothar walther selected match grade barrel, or a leupy bsa barrel.

Oh and scope schmidt and bender?

100m airgun and scope

Hi,

We have seen many 100m matches in the Netherlands and many different kinds of guns en scopes were used. I wouldn´t recommend an Airwolf (I have an Airwolf myself among some other airguns). I think a Theoben Rapid S or a Steyr LG110 HP is a much better choice fot 100m target shooting. My most favorite scope is a Schmidt and Bender 5-25-56 PMII. I put that scope on a Steyr LG110HP .22 40 Joule. Anotherone I like is the Nightforce 12-42X56 Precision Benchrest. That scope I put on Theoben Rapid S in cal. .20. An Air Arms S4/5*0 wille also do the the job. But in that case you'll have to shoot from the bottle. A GGR might be something to use.
    Last edited by 100m airgun; 13-02-2011 at 12:08 AM.
    100mairgun.nl (TRANSLATOR on top! )

100m

the Steyr is too light
    go for a Walther unless you want to go fac
    then get an HW100 retuned , those barrels are now being sought after for tuning other rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat100 View Post
    the Steyr is too light
    go for a Walther unless you want to go fac
    then get an HW100 retuned , those barrels are now being sought after for tuning other rifles.
    I've heard the hw100's are one of the worst guns you can get at FAC levels, because the barrels are pretty naff at higher velocities, don't know if they've sorted the problem now though? i think they used to use polygonal barrels?

What would you recommend jonezy25?

Quote Originally Posted by lobsta View Post

Same as me-a Rapid.
    Although it is fair to say that 100m target shooting is really beyond the scope of even FAC powered air rifles except in perfectly still conditions. The pellets are just too light with even the most stable-the Bisley Magnum/Baracuda weighing in at 21.4 grains which is just over half the weight of .22LR rounds.

I love the bit from the OP about money not being an issue and someone on this thread chips in with how nice the S & B 5-25x56 scope is. 'So it jolly well should be' is all I would say to that. Glad to know that there are folks on here with money.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by lobsta View Post
    I'd personally go with a rapid, s-type will be better as it has a 500cc bottle, and longer barrel, the extra weight will help at these long distances, though you might want to get it reguated to minimise vertical stringing, though a fast flow setup properly can be as consistent, but you will need to find the sweet spot, also definitely take the grease off the bolt, and give it a polish, otherwise the grease can drop down into the hammer, and make it inconsistent, it also attracts dust/dirt, also polish the hammer, and get a decent set of matched springs, it will run top notch then.

But out the box they are superb, but with a bit of elbow grease, can be made even better, and so easy to work on yourself.

With there being no formal 100 yard airgun leagues/shoots, this is meant to be for fun.

12ft/lb outdoors means it is not an exact science, certainly very different from our friends in the Nederlands who are often shooting indoors, FAC with bottle fed/static rigs.

That isn't a criticism, just a reason not to spend a fortune on equipment.

Most good quality PCP's are suitable. I say that because most of this shooting is fully supported, benchrest style, or with bipods etc. Not many springers work well like that, that's no reason not to give it a go using a suitably compliant front rest (soft cush/light beany bag).

High mag scopes help. I use 20x, but have used 15x before and it still works. The quality of the scope is a factor, my quality scope at 20x is able to resolve target detail that is beyond my more moderately priced Swift scope even if the mag is increased to 32x.

Whatever you choose, enjoy.

Thanks for all your informative replies, I take your point that the 100m distance is not an exact science with a 12ft/lb air rifle.

BTW I Put 'money not an issue" so any feedback would not be swayed by a price rather than an indication of a limitless pot. I am fairly new to air rifles and have a lot of fun shooting the club rifle at 50m but I would like a good quality set up that will consistently strike the crosshair at 50m when there is no wind and the rifle is on a mount.

All advice happily taken on board!

Quote Originally Posted by 100m airgun View Post
    Hi,

We have seen many 100m matches in the Netherlands and many different kinds of guns en scopes were used. I wouldn´t recommend an Airwolf (I have an Airwolf myself among some other airguns). I think a Theoben Rapid S or a Steyr LG110 HP is a much better choice fot 100m target shooting. My most favorite scope is a Schmidt and Bender 5-25-56 PMII. I put that scope on a Steyr LG110HP .22 40 Joule. Anotherone I like is the Nightforce 12-42X56 Precision Benchrest. That scope I put on Theoben Rapid S in cal. .20. An Air Arms S4/5*0 wille also do the the job. But in that case you'll have to shoot from the bottle. A GGR might be something to use.
    hi
    please can i ask why you prefer a rapid to a airwolf? are the rapids more accurate at this range from your experience?

i am looking to buy a 30ft/lb s510 carbine and would like to know if this gun will be as good or better than my airwolf?

Quote Originally Posted by nightstalker000 View Post
    hi
    please can i ask why you prefer a rapid to a airwolf? are the rapids more accurate at this range from your experience?

i am looking to buy a 30ft/lb s510 carbine and would like to know if this gun will be as good or better than my airwolf?
    Of course you can ask that Nightstalker.

I prefer a Rapid to an Airwolf because in my experience (we've tested a lot of Airwolfs, Theobens etc) that though an Airwolf can be deadly accurate on 100m, 3 out 5 of are not. After changing barrels (to polygonic) we came to the conclusion that that the original Daystate barrels are not as good as they should be. We didn't see a Rapid with a sub-good barrel yet.

emi
    Last edited by 100m airgun; 17-02-2011 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 100m airgun View Post
    Of course you can ask that Nightstalker.

I prefer a Rapid to an Airwolf because in my experience (we've tested a lot of Airwolfs, Theobens etc) that though an Airwolf can be deadly accurate on 100m, 3 out 5 of are not. After changing barrels (to polygonic) we came to the conclusion that that the original Daystate barrels are not as good as they should be. We didn't see a Rapid with a sub-good barrel yet.

emi
    thanks you for your reply and greetings from the uk.
    i have had an airwolf for about 2 years now and only 2 days ago after 3 times to the factory and a very unhelpful and incompetet customer service /warranty service my airwolf is working properly. it has had a very bad case of crossover which has made it usless.

i also brought a second magazine for the gun some months ago and it does not fit very well where as the original fits fine.

i can only asume like you have said that the QUALITY CONTROL is like the lottery!.

however i must say the barrel that i have on my gun is exceptional. today i have been shooting over my field from my garden at home and this is about 134 yards. i managed to group 3 pellets in less than 0.7 of an inch at that range. this is with air arms field 5.52 and also jsb exact 5.52.

i had a theoben mark 1 before and this was poor. groups at just 60 yards i could only get 2 inchs.

but i agree with you i think theoben quality is very good usually and more consistent than daystate.

One of my favorite airguns to do the 100m is an Theoben Rapid S in cal .20 with a Sono Kembang Ginb stock (heavy) in combination with JSB pellets.

emi
    Last edited by 100m airgun; 20-02-2011 at 05:45 PM.