Thread: Bell Target Pubs in the Midlands Area

Bell Target Pubs in the Midlands Area

I have recently been told of a pub in the Wolverhampton area, that had a beautifully wooden cased Bell target as one of the pub's fixtures. Apparently the case is of substantial build and dates back around 100 years. Unfortunately the shooter who told me the story cannot remember exactly where the pub was but tells me he visited the pub around 4-5 years ago. Silly so and so was probably in the pub for a drink rather than research, as would be the case with me of course!

Long shot I know but does anyone know of this or any similar pub as it would make an interesting item to photograph and indeed research?

Kind regards,
    John

Hi John,

If you don't get any info..try Thimblehouse (on here) he's from the Waltonlions belltarget club & they were very helpfull to us when we first set up...coming over with all sorts of gear to show us..they have a website & promote this style of...civilised shooting.. do a search on one of my old threads..as those guys shoot in that area & might know the very pub you are seeking to find..if it serves Bank's mild too..try some...nectar..all in the way of "research" of course...

try

try searching frank spittle i recolect he was a forefarther in bell shooting in midlands.shame its still not a venue to have a pint and a ring.but then drinking and shooting .may b not.

Hi Mr.45,

Frank wrote the book..as it were...but Belltarget shooting has been going for 100 years & still survives..I believe we are the latest club to form...Melbourne R.B.L. Marksmen Club..in derbyshire.

Thanks Chris and yes, I know Banks' Mild to be a lovely pint. Rare to see any mild in my neck of the woods!

Kind regards,
    John

Bell Target

Quote Originally Posted by GuizeAyose View Post
    Very good site but I couldn't see any reference to the pub my friend visited. I looked on this site when he initially told me the story. Don't suppose you know it from the poor description I shared?

Kind regards,

John

Bell target W-ton

The only place I know of is The Emarald Club, here is a link, www.emeraldclubevents.com check out events on Thursday's, not been there myself yet.

as mentioned, emerald club in w,ton, civil defence in wendsbury, hawkins in cheslyn hay, springvale in w,ton, and aldesley stadium in wolverhamton, those are the only clubs left in the wolverhamton league, trying to get more clubs going, but its tough going, not many people seen interested, used to be 20 odd clubs when i first started, now down to five
    Shaun

Was it worth the trouble, Ah, what trouble

Quote Originally Posted by spartan View Post
    as mentioned, emerald club in w,ton, civil defence in wendsbury, hawkins in cheslyn hay, springvale in w,ton, and aldesley stadium in wolverhamton, those are the only clubs left in the wolverhamton league, trying to get more clubs going, but its tough going, not many people seen interested, used to be 20 odd clubs when i first started, now down to five
    Any idea if any of the venues mentioned could be the one with the bell target as a pub ornament?

Kind regards,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Any idea if any of the venues mentioned could be the one with the bell target as a pub ornament?

Kind regards,
    John
    none of the mentioned pubs have the bell target ornament, i cant recall seeing it in any of the old clubs i used to shoot in years ago, asked some of the old boys tonight and they could not shine any light either.
    Shaun

Was it worth the trouble, Ah, what trouble

Quote Originally Posted by spartan View Post
    none of the mentioned pubs have the bell target ornament, i cant recall seeing it in any of the old clubs i used to shoot in years ago, asked some of the old boys tonight and they could not shine any light either.
    Thanks for trying Shaun

Kind regards,

John

Hi John,
    Sorry dont know where that may be either. All teams in the area shoot at clubs these days.
    If you find you PLEASE let me know and I am off with a camera.

If anyone wants to have a go at the original Air Rifle sport, upcoming there will be chances at the British Shooting Show Newark this weekend.
    or at
    Shugbough Game Fair (Staffs) next weekend.
    In each case ask for David.

Further info see the sites below and theres a couple of facebook pages as well.

Thank you David and if I find the pub, I'll certainly share on here.

I'm beginning to wonder if it is an urban myth!

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by thimblehouse View Post
    Hi John,
    Sorry dont know where that may be either. All teams in the area shoot at clubs these days.
    If you find you PLEASE let me know and I am off with a camera.

If anyone wants to have a go at the original Air Rifle sport, upcoming there will be chances at the British Shooting Show Newark this weekend.
    or at
    Shugbough Game Fair (Staffs) next weekend.
    In each case ask for David.

Further info see the sites below and theres a couple of facebook pages as well.