Thread: Collectable Weihrauch HW 35's !

hw35

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    You must have been holding it wrong!

ATB
    Ian
    and the thought of that foresight oooooooohhhhhhhhhh

Hows the HW 35 going now..I would love to see a few pics of it finished pal
    I believe patriotism comes from the heart. Patriotism is voluntary. It is a feeling of loyalty and allegiance that is the result of knowledge and belief.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi

Here's the HW35e that I bought from Blackrider, it doesn't actually say that it's a 35 or even that it's a Weihrauch but rather, it's just marked EUSTA in a horizontal diamond

It has the 22" barrel, one sided safety catch and 13mm scope rails, 1976 was the approximate production date..

The rifle...

Pic 1

Pic 2

The EUSTA mark

There was a problem with the trigger in that i think someone had messed with it as the weight of pull screw wasn't original, a cut down bolt with a slot aby hacksaw?? unless this was how they were back then but I have a 1972 model with no safety that has the normal recognisable shiney screw behind the blade...

I bought another Rekord unit cheaply and it's beautiful now

Trigger

The other one i have from 1972 must not have the original barrel as it's a 19.5", I thought the standard ones were 19", though i do recall reading somewhere that some 35e were fitted with a 19.5" barrel, I just can't remember where I read it

I also have a 35k but i can't remember the length of that one...

HW35k

Here's the 1972 model

John
    Just been looking at your gun collection on flicker John..Thats some collection and some loverly vintage guns amongst them too...Whats up with us Dee Dars where all gun mad lol
    I believe patriotism comes from the heart. Patriotism is voluntary. It is a feeling of loyalty and allegiance that is the result of knowledge and belief.

Quote Originally Posted by knighthawk View Post
    Just been looking at your gun collection on flicker John..Thats some collection and some loverly vintage guns amongst them too...Whats up with us Dee Dars where all gun mad lol
    I always thought that Barnsley lads were more into guns than us actually (had a few at work that were gun crazy!!)

The one that stripped the paint from and then polished up was put in the conservatory through winter and didn't tell me..
    When I came across it, it was covered in rust

She's lucky she still has teeth to eat with

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Have to admit that the newer 35E lacks the quality wood on my 1979 Optima supplied 35E, also the trade mark 22 inch barrell, but its still one of my fave German guns of all time. ps its nice to be back.!!!

Just thought I would resurrect this HW35 appreciation thread. As Ian will know, I have just tracked down a nice HW35E in .22 which will hopefully be in my sweaty mitts by next Thursday.

I intend to relive sporting memories of my youth when I couldn't afford an HW35 E. Having spent the past couple of decades with the smaller calibre, I am once looking forward to "lobbing" some proper slugs down range and at one or two bunnies eventually. A mate has just been given a standard 35 in the same calibre by his brother. Initial inspection looks like it has been stripped and reassembled without the breech shims as the breech is currently acting like a dick in a bucket.

Having also just received dozens of old "Airgun World" mags from the late 70s early 80s, reading the old adds is just as interesting as the actual articles. Strange how I remember them so well!

Just have to dig out my remaining supply of genuine Eley Wasps but will also try Superdomes and some old Accupels. Tempted to fit a "modern" scope, but fancy a bit of fun with the opens first. Cant wait!

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Thumbs up

Hi Amac

Here's my latest HW35,it was made in 1979, I put an Optima 4x40 on top just to finish it off!!

They're lovely guns

Cheers, John

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Forgot I'd started this thread a while back. Thought it looked familiar.

Never did bother with "a new 35E" but wouldn't turn my nose up at a good "old 'un" !

John.
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Just thought I would resurrect this HW35 appreciation thread. As Ian will know, I have just tracked down a nice HW35E in .22 which will hopefully be in my sweaty mitts by next Thursday.

I intend to relive sporting memories of my youth when I couldn't afford an HW35 E. Having spent the past couple of decades with the smaller calibre, I am once looking forward to "lobbing" some proper slugs down range and at one or two bunnies eventually. A mate has just been given a standard 35 in the same calibre by his brother. Initial inspection looks like it has been stripped and reassembled without the breech shims as the breech is currently acting like a dick in a bucket.

Having also just received dozens of old "Airgun World" mags from the late 70s early 80s, reading the old adds is just as interesting as the actual articles. Strange how I remember them so well!

Just have to dig out my remaining supply of genuine Eley Wasps but will also try Superdomes and some old Accupels. Tempted to fit a "modern" scope, but fancy a bit of fun with the opens first. Cant wait!

Andy
    Another lost lamb brought back into the HW35 fold. You know it makes sense.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Just out of interest chaps, when was the 35E introduced ?

I bought an old 35E stock the other day and it has a solid recoil pad and checkering on the underside of the forend just in front of the trigger guard.

All the best Mick

Well bought my first HW35 last week. Stripped and lubed, I replaced the old leather seal with an adaptor and upgrade, as well as replacing the breech seal. I also stripped and danish oiled the stock. Really pleased with the results, a very happy bunny (though I think that any other bunny's I run into with this won't be so happy)

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post

I bought an old 35E stock the other day and it has a solid recoil pad and checkering on the underside of the forend just in front of the trigger guard.

All the best Mick
    HI Mick,I may have owned that stock[1 end of checkering ends in a point?],if the same one, I have never seen another with the checkering underneath,looked at loads of old adds etc,nothing,and it doesn't look like a diy job.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post

All the best Mick

Hi Mick

Sorry, i'm not sure when the 35e was introduced, my earliest one is confirmed at 1972 and I think this chequering is what you're referring to on the underside..

My 1972 HW35e was cammo'd by a previous owner (he didn't know what the gun was!!

Unfortunately some numpty has rubbed the tops off the diamonds and I'm loathe to re oil it until the chequering is all recut, I just have no idea where to take it for recutting

BTW, I stripped the metalwork on this gun and polished it, the wife then put it away in an unheated conservatory right through winter, the condensation played havoc with it

Cheers, John

Some fine looking examples on show there chaps. The 35 does seem to have a certain elegance to it in my opinion. Having shot one of Ian's 35E's, I remember the barrel length being quite challenging in the field, but the gun represents all that is best about a classic, superbly engineered and fine looking gun capable of good levels of accuracy. Its just a pity that Ian's are all so terribly maintained and dog rough really.
    Still, there is always the Relum's to fall back on....

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

i missed out on a left handed 35e in one of those cash trader type shops a while back . he had taken a deposit on it . how rare would the leftie be.