Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Collectable Weihrauch HW 35's !

Quote Originally Posted by basa View Post
    HI Mick,I may have owned that stock[1 end of checkering ends in a point?],if the same one, I have never seen another with the checkering underneath,looked at loads of old adds etc,nothing,and it doesn't look like a diy job.
    Hi basa

The stock came from a gunshop in Rhyl via t'internet for £20, it will be fitted to my HW35 with the Walther LGV piston when I've finished working on it.

And I think Johnbaz may have answered the question as to its age.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi Mick

Sorry, i'm not sure when the 35e was introduced, my earliest one is confirmed at 1972 and I think this chequering is what you're referring to on the underside..

My 1972 HW35e was cammo'd by a previous owner (he didn't know what the gun was!!

Unfortunately some numpty has rubbed the tops off the diamonds and I'm loathe to re oil it until the chequering is all recut, I just have no idea where to take it for recutting

BTW, I stripped the metalwork on this gun and polished it, the wife then put it away in an unheated conservatory right through winter, the condensation played havoc with it

Cheers, John

Cheers John, that's the same as mine.

I'm trying to find some checkering tools myself to recut the stock on my old school 85 at present, if I manage to get some you'd be welcome to borrow them when I've done.

Wives eh, like my dad says --- "you can't live with em."

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Some fine looking examples on show there chaps. The 35 does seem to have a certain elegance to it in my opinion. Having shot one of Ian's 35E's, I remember the barrel length being quite challenging in the field, but the gun represents all that is best about a classic, superbly engineered and fine looking gun capable of good levels of accuracy. Its just a pity that Ian's are all so terribly maintained and dog rough really.
    Still, there is always the Relum's to fall back on....

Andy
    HW35 and Relum in the same paragraph! Sacrilege.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Chec

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi Mick

Sorry, i'm not sure when the 35e was introduced, my earliest one is confirmed at 1972 and I think this chequering is what you're referring to on the underside..

My 1972 HW35e was cammo'd by a previous owner (he didn't know what the gun was!!

Unfortunately some numpty has rubbed the tops off the diamonds and I'm loathe to re oil it until the chequering is all recut, I just have no idea where to take it for recutting

BTW, I stripped the metalwork on this gun and polished it, the wife then put it away in an unheated conservatory right through winter, the condensation played havoc with it

Cheers, John
    May have known John would have one any one know why/when/reason etc, some have been done like this,ie a particular shop/dealer, and are they all export stocks, that have this,I think it's a nice little touch myself.

my hw35e

My newly finished one, 19.5" barrel, stock has nice striping in sunlight .22 shoots very nice indeed. It's making 10.5ft'lb with superdomes & 11.3 with hobbys.http://fav.me/d5z3s3r http://fav.me/d5z3rpg

The small patch of chequering on the forend appeared on earlier HW35Es. I am sure I have read which year it ceased, but I can't remember or find it now; it might have been 1972.

Matt

Nice gun Junglie, but the chair needs further work.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

You can get the checkering tools from midway uk! Not cheap though. You need to know how many lines per inch.

I love my 35e but it came with a 19 3/4 " barrel. Did look for a full length barrel but they fetch a pretty high price. And to be honest, it handles well with the 19 on there.

Quote Originally Posted by brucegill View Post
    You can get the checkering tools from midway uk! Not cheap though. You need to know how many lines per inch.

I love my 35e but it came with a 19 3/4 " barrel. Did look for a full length barrel but they fetch a pretty high price. And to be honest, it handles well with the 19 on there.
    Hi Bruce

I do like the look of the Midway tools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BkzkobHifo

But I also like the look of the Dembart tools.

http://www.blackleyandson.com/acatal..._for_wood.html

I have an old gunsmith who lives down the road from me, I may go and see if I can borrow a set off him and get a few tips.

I now have enough parts to put my 1972 HW35 back together so the HW35LGV will be sporting the 35E stock and early 19" barrel with it's Edgar Brothers stamp, so it will look like an old school 35 but with bang up to date internals.

When I've built a few more spinners for June 15th I'll get back onto the 35 --- it's back up to a 70mm stroke now with 25mm Weihrauch seal but it's gone a little over again.

It actually goes over 12 with a b2 spring in it.

All the best Mick

I love my HW35, It's the first gun i'll grab if i'm out for a bit of fun shooting, IE: a day out plinking with the chance of a bit of hunting.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...3B2A1589EA.jpg
    Daystate Huntsman mk11 .177 AA S200 .177, HW100KT .22 HW97k .22 HW85 .22 HW77 .22 Hw35 Lochshaft .22 Sharp innova .22 Feinwerkbau 127 .22 Diana series 70 model 79 .22

Quote Originally Posted by Halfinch View Post
    I love my HW35, It's the first gun i'll grab if i'm out for a bit of fun shooting, IE: a day out plinking with the chance of a bit of hunting.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...3B2A1589EA.jpg
    How does the lochschaft handle? I've never seen one in the flesh, and I'm undecided as to the aesthetics of it - I quite like it, but maybe it would look better with a carbine bull barrel (not a look I usually like, but maybe in this case). I suppose the only solution is to buy one...

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkormat View Post
    How does the lochschaft handle? I've never seen one in the flesh, and I'm undecided as to the aesthetics of it - I quite like it, but maybe it would look better with a carbine bull barrel (not a look I usually like, but maybe in this case). I suppose the only solution is to buy one...

Matt
    I enjoy the Lochshaft stock, but i also enjoy my HW100KT.
    I guess it will always be a personal choice, although i agree, it would probably look better in Carbine length.
    Daystate Huntsman mk11 .177 AA S200 .177, HW100KT .22 HW97k .22 HW85 .22 HW77 .22 Hw35 Lochshaft .22 Sharp innova .22 Feinwerkbau 127 .22 Diana series 70 model 79 .22

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi Bruce

I do like the look of the Midway tools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BkzkobHifo

But I also like the look of the Dembart tools.

http://www.blackleyandson.com/acatal..._for_wood.html

I have an old gunsmith who lives down the road from me, I may go and see if I can borrow a set off him and get a few tips.

I now have enough parts to put my 1972 HW35 back together so the HW35LGV will be sporting the 35E stock and early 19" barrel with it's Edgar Brothers stamp, so it will look like an old school 35 but with bang up to date internals.

When I've built a few more spinners for June 15th I'll get back onto the 35 --- it's back up to a 70mm stroke now with 25mm Weihrauch seal but it's gone a little over again.

It actually goes over 12 with a b2 spring in it.

All the best Mick
    Hi Mick

Thanks for the links. Always fancied having a go.... Judging by the video, its a simple job well, he made it look easy lol.

I guess it's all about that first line. If that's wrong, they're all wrong.

Can't wait to see your 35 in the flesh at the springer meet mate. Got my 35 running sweet now and would love to see what yours is like with the LGV 25mm in there. Mine is all standard but with a good spring, seal and liner. Love it! No scope, just the open sights. Been the most fun shooting I've had in donkeys.

Cheers
    Bruce

hw35s

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Nice gun Junglie, but the chair needs further work.

Andy
    Ha ha, had to take the pic in my polytunnel as it was so windy it was rocking the tripod outside! The gun is a 1976 one bought from this site by someone else a bit rusty externally & missing a front sight. Shoots beutifully smooth with original leather seal & I suspect the original mainspring!

I picked my "new" 82 HW35E up the other night. She is a real beaut and I am literally just about to fit a scope before zeroing her on the indoor this evening.
    I had forgotten how much "brewers droop" was present, but the supplied Sportsmatch mount should sort that.The bluing is first class and testimony to the high standards of manufacturing. Stock has the dings and dents that prove her years, but she will be staying this way as in my opinion, it adds to an individual guns character.
    If I could do pics I would, but as a remedial, sorry.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Just picked up a .22 HW35 from a gun shop in Norfolk, checked its serial number and it is 30 years old. Blueing is good, some marks on the stock but like the previous poster says it all adds to the character.

Lovely solid piece of kit. Now to find a suitable scope!