Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Collectable Weihrauch HW 35's !

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    I picked my "new" 82 HW35E up the other night. She is a real beaut and I am literally just about to fit a scope before zeroing her on the indoor this evening.
    How did you get on Andy? I'm curious to know what sort of groups the older HW35s can produce with a modern scope and pellets, especially at longer ranges. I've only used mine with open sights but I'd say it's as accurate as any modern equivalent out to 20 metres.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkormat View Post
    How did you get on Andy? I'm curious to know what sort of groups the older HW35s can produce with a modern scope and pellets, especially at longer ranges.

Matt
    We had to widen the club house door so he could get his smile through!

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Well, I would have to say that I am very impressed! I fitted the gun with a Panorama 3-9x40 on a one piece mount and used my old favourite .22 round the Accupel.

Swiftly zeroing at 30 yards, nine times out of ten I was producing groups that would have been acceptable for a PCP. This has a lot to do with the now well adjusted trigger unit ( I reduced sear engagement) and the "soft" firing cycle of the .22 action producing a leisurely 10.5 foot pounds.

It is a long time since I used a .22 for field work, but next Thursday will see the gun in some pigeon shooting action and I am fully confident that the gun is up to the task.

I actually stripped the gun yesterday to see if I could add another washer to take her up a touch. Problem was that she became coilbound with even the one washer, so it was back to the original state of tune. Incidentally, after a couple of hundred pellets last night (and probably the same tonight,) the power has started to creep up slowly as everything once again settles down after five years of inactivity.

The gun is a genuine pleasure to shoot and own. I can see what Mr Jones has been saying for decades now reflects my own findings. The HW 35 is a superb iconic rifle that can only further improve with age. Unlike myself I might add........

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

The gun is a genuine pleasure to shoot and own. I can see what Mr Jones has been saying for decades now reflects my own findings. The HW 35 is a superb iconic rifle that can only further improve with age. Unlike myself I might add........

Andy
    Welcome aboard the '35 fan club.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    We had to widen the club house door so he could get his smile through!
    Well, I would have to say that I am very impressed!

Glad you're enjoying it. I'm looking out for a .22 standard model over here in the Czech Republic, as I'm missing my Export (left in Manchester). As break barrels go, I can't see the need for anything else.

Matt

I must admit Matt that the long barrel takes some getting used to! However, the gun is genuinely superb with a lovely smooth firing cycle. I was going to replace the piston washer but reckon that the gun is shooting as well as she can with impeccable manners.

Some may think that I am exaggerating how accurate the gun is, but I ain't! She is one of those guns that will most definitely be staying in my meagre collection and will no doubt see lots of future service in the field. Can you tell I am pleased and impressed?

Andy

hw35s

Sounds very similar to my 76 35e to shoot, I'd try some rws hobbys through it on the chrono, think you'll find they're well over 11, mine makes the same power as yours with accupell & superdomes but 11.6 with hobbys. Has yours still got the leather piston washer? If so I'd recomend hemp seed oil as a lube, much better than silicone/sm50 & a lot cheaper, non dieseling too & a great salad dressing with all the omega oils & more for your health!

Hi Andy, I found my 35e gives much higher me using bisley LR Gold. Never really tested it with a scope as I like to use the open sights but might give it a go after this bit of inspiration from you. I find the long barrel helps keep me steady during aim. Atb Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    If so I'd recomend hemp seed oil as a lube, much better than silicone/sm50 & a lot cheaper, non dieseling too & a great salad dressing with all the omega oils & more for your health!
    So, you can shoot and make all the members up at the indoor range healthier Andy! And boy, do some of them need it!

ATB
    Ian

leather seal lubes

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    So, you can shoot and make all the members up at the indoor range healthier Andy! And boy, do some of them need it!

ATB
    Ian
    Snigger all you like I've tried just about every recomended lube for leather piston seals & it really is the best Ian. I just smear it on the seal liberally then wrap the piston head in clingfilm overnight to let it soak in. Anyone wants to give it a try I'll send them a sample for the postage cost. The brand to look for is "good oil" & it certainly is, google it & find out for yourself. I was given the tip by an old gunsmith in the 80's & have used it since.

I got my first 35 because of a recommendation from I.J. Boy am I happy I did. Just entered a vintage springer comp. came first with 47/50 using open sights. Bloody love this rifle. So, thanks again I.J.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    Snigger all you like I've tried just about every recomended lube for leather piston seals & it really is the best Ian. I just smear it on the seal liberally then wrap the piston head in clingfilm overnight to let it soak in. Anyone wants to give it a try I'll send them a sample for the postage cost. The brand to look for is "good oil" & it certainly is, google it & find out for yourself. I was given the tip by an old gunsmith in the 80's & have used it since.
    Thanks for the tip. I shall add that one to my list of 'recipes' for treating leather piston heads which includes Neatsfoot Oil and Witches tears.

Quote Originally Posted by brucegill View Post
    I got my first 35 because of a recommendation from I.J. Boy am I happy I did. Just entered a vintage springer comp. came first with 47/50 using open sights. Bloody love this rifle. So, thanks again I.J.
    Theres no need to thank me. This is partly what the BBS is for. To enlighten others into the pleasures of airgunning - in this case the joys of ownership of the '35 series of rifles (of which I have a few) and the downfalls of the Relum Tornado.

Congratulations by the way on the win.

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 30-03-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Thanks for the tips about the hemp oil Junglie. I will track some down and try it out. I will also run a few Hobbies through the chrono tomorrow to see what she is doing with lighter pellets. The thing is though, for me, hunting with an air rifle is all about the ability to deliver the shot on target every time as we all know. With this 35, I am genuinely confident that anything within range is in serious trouble. The affect of a .22 pellet doing even 5-6 foot pound will still do the job if delivered in the correct place. So the 10ish available from the gun is more than adequate.

Called in to see a mate yesterday (I do have one) who has been given an HW35 Export by his emigrating brother. We spent a couple of hours adjusting things such as the breech lock up and trigger, and discovered that the power was exactly the same as my own guns @10ftlb ish. I reckon that once fully warned up with the piston washer having redistributed any excess lubricant that might be reducing velocities, both guns are more than up to serious use in the field. We will find out on Thursday if they are!

I noticed from Liams gun the "Edgar Brothers Macclesfield" trade branding by the scope rails. Liams gun is a year earlier than my own being manufactured in '81. I presume that Edgar's was only one of the many importers prior to the Hull Cartridge monopoly on "genuine" UK powered Weihrauchs from 82 onwards?

Andy

hw35s

Mines marked edgar bros liverpool on the breech block & weihrauch mellrichstadt bay or mellaichsatdt? not quite clear without my glasses in a rectangle above the edgar bros marking. It was running very well before stripping for re-bluing about 6-8 fps variance on the chrono with the odd diesel sending it hot. Now after re-lubing with dri-slide in the rear of the cylinder & the seal with hemp seed oil it's 2-3 fps variance with no dieseling at all after a few hundred rounds through her. It was a little "twangy" now sounds lovley with the addition of a pop bottle lube sleeve in the piston & a couple of slip washers either end of the spring. My son was well impressed at it's smooth easy cocking & accuracy today at my allotment range but preferred the bsa 635 to it as it's scoped & the 35 isn't yet. I was going to mount another little simmons wa 1.5-5x20 on it I've just been offered by a freind, but just found (thanks to dave on here) a bsf70s for my 50th birthday next weekend that will have the whitetail on it instead. Yeehah! That will complete my very small collection of 70's-80's rifles "I always wanted but could never find or afford" All the main supermarkets were selling the good oil brand of hemp seed oil a year or 2 ago (grown & cold pressed in the uk) for a couple of quid a 500ml bottle, but they seem to have every exotic oil except it now (especially all the very environmentally damaging ones like the palm oils) my mrs got the last lot from suma wholefoods online. My offer to post enough to treat any seal free for post cost to anyone who pm's me their adress still stands as we have a couple of pints left.

I am literally just off to once again strip the action on my 35 to see if she has the thrust washers both ends of the spring. I seem to remember that she hasn't, but will probably go coilbound once again if I try. Never mind, no work tomorrow so I can play for a couple more late hours in the garage.

The BSF of Ian's that I have shot was the 55. Very light and almost Meteor like in proportions but pokey! Wasn't the 70 the underlever?

I must admit to being partial to the small Simmons 1-5x20 myself. I am saving mine for my Sport which is currently away on holiday having a new stock made. Hopefully she will be back with me for the weekend in June. Dont you just love classic guns? It is probably a sign of our age, but they definitely do appear to have more character than even modern quality springers such as a new Weihrauch for example. Not sure about the Walther myself!

Right, I am off to the garage.....

Andy