Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW45 Power?

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick

HW45 Power?

What does yours do?
    I bought mine around 25 years ago and it still does 5.5ft/lbs on Accupell
    As for tuning, since power increase is pointless/illegal has anyone seen any useful tuning done on one? I havent!
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Chrono'd mine at 5.4 using Hobbies

Not bad considering its age and the fact that its never had a service or anything done to it other that a drop of oil now and then

A beautiful air pistol

I own one now, but did have two a couple of years ago, chronographed them both at around4.5 ft/lbs, Also chronographed one for a friend, that was doing well below 5 as well, and know of a couple of other people at the club I used to go to, both of them were doing less than 5 ft/lbs as well. I know that some do do over 5 ft/lbs but I've never seen one, and I think they have to be deiselling a bit for maximum power. I think the 45's power is a bit overrated to be honest.

I have a Cometa Indian that is about as powerful as my HW45 (going on the way that it makes the pendulum targets in my pellet catcher disappear, I haven't got around to chronographing it), I also serviced a BSA Scorpion for a friend, to begin with that was doing 5.94 ft/lbs! After a couple of dozen shots it settled down to a consistent 5.7 ft/lbs though, phew!

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    What does yours do?
    I bought mine around 25 years ago and it still does 5.5ft/lbs on Accupell
    As for tuning, since power increase is pointless/illegal has anyone seen any useful tuning done on one? I havent!
    ATB,
    Nick
    Kind of tuned mine, got it second hand as new 18yo one(one tin of pellets job). Smoked like an 16 year old in a park and was giving around 3.5-4fpe, so striped it down, cleaned it up, resized the piston seal (i need a screw driver to lever out the piston when i first striped the pistol as it had been left for a long time and the seal and expanded due to flow of the PTFE), greased with bonny and clide spring lube kit. Now pushs out at 5.7-fpe on AA feilds (4.52) and 5.5 on Hobbys. with only a few feet per second between the shots, no smoke and reduced noise and recoil.
    Set Bazookoids to kill stuff and mount. We're going in!

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Sounds like a model I should own: I'm a complete loss at doing any sort of tinkering myself, and hate sending / taking things to be worked on.

I realize that it's no fun to live with the thought of one of your air pistols creeping over the 6.00 limit and getting you in legal hot water: but on the whole, I wouldn't think that there'a any real crying need to own an air pistol specifically designed to be over

If I lived in the UK and were an airgun hunter, I'd have a lot more quarrel with the 12.00 limit on air RIFLES.

With a hunting rifle, I can see the need for more power than that: and 12 fpe is certainly WELL below firearm power limits, what with even the piddling little .22 Short getting 30 fpe and better.

I often shoot .22 Shorts at the range out of my 6 1/2 inch barrelled Ruger revolver, and sometimes can't even hear them going off.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

it seems to be that the newer batch of hw45,s are lower powerd than the older models for some reason , i recently bought a new model hw45 in .22 with the tru glo sights and although it does pack a punch compared to my co2 pistols i have to say i was sorely disapionted when i shot at an empty beer bottle and the pellet just bounced off , apart from feeling under powerd compared to the advertised 5.5 ft pounds its an excellent spring pistol , id like to try and get mine chrono,d just out of interest as it wouldent suprise me if it was putting out well below 5 ft pounds.

barrel is online now Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by tbonesnake View Post
    it seems to be that the newer batch of hw45,s are lower powerd than the older models for some reason , i recently bought a new model hw45 in .22 with the tru glo sights and although it does pack a punch compared to my co2 pistols i have to say i was sorely disapionted when i shot at an empty beer bottle and the pellet just bounced off , apart from feeling under powerd compared to the advertised 5.5 ft pounds its an excellent spring pistol , id like to try and get mine chrono,d just out of interest as it wouldent suprise me if it was putting out well below 5 ft pounds.
    I totally agree with what you say, although the current .22 HW45 seem to generate slightly more muzzle energy than the .177.

Regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    I totally agree with what you say, although the current .22 HW45 seem to generate slightly more muzzle energy than the .177.

Regards

Barrel
    They are the same internals just different barrel, as the .22 is more economical in the use of the compressed air it has a higher fpe. Some thing to do with surface area, and friction. There is more about it some where on the site.
    Set Bazookoids to kill stuff and mount. We're going in!

mrto

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Sounds like a model I should own: I'm a complete loss at doing any sort of tinkering myself, and hate sending / taking things to be worked on.

I realize that it's no fun to live with the thought of one of your air pistols creeping over the 6.00 limit and getting you in legal hot water: but on the whole, I wouldn't think that there'a any real crying need to own an air pistol specifically designed to be over

If I lived in the UK and were an airgun hunter, I'd have a lot more quarrel with the 12.00 limit on air RIFLES.

With a hunting rifle, I can see the need for more power than that: and 12 fpe is certainly WELL below firearm power limits, what with even the piddling little .22 Short getting 30 fpe and better.

I often shoot .22 Shorts at the range out of my 6 1/2 inch barrelled Ruger revolver, and sometimes can't even hear them going off.

Jim
    you are right 12ftlbs is PATHETIC for hunting with!

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    you are right 12ftlbs is PATHETIC for hunting with!
    I think they should raise the cut-off between FAC and non-FAC to 24 fpe.

But who cares what I think.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I think they should raise the cut-off between FAC and non-FAC to 24 fpe.

But who cares what I think.

Jim

Smart thinking Jim

Good luck, Phil

=

Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    Smart thinking Jim

Good luck, Phil

=

Jim

I Wannah 40ftlb HW 43........

Oh! !

Thats the only thing with being sober?

You can get Yer Kalibers wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Hutchinson View Post
    Chrono'd mine at 5.4 using Hobbies

Not bad considering its age and the fact that its never had a service or anything done to it other that a drop of oil now and then

A beautiful air pistol

Now, that's MY kind of technology!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ratgunner View Post
    I Wannah 40ftlb HW 43........

Oh! !

Thats the only thing with being sober?

You can get Yer Kalibers wrong
    Remember the story where the tenderfoot asked the cowboy while he carried a Colt .45?

The cowboy told him that it was because Colt didn't make a .46!

Jim