Thread: bp bottle sizes

bp bottle sizes

does it matter size of bottles lb or kilo of bp when storing at home,
    someone said you can only kep in 1lb size containers ???
    Last edited by gtpkeeper; 17-06-2013 at 12:35 PM.
    ballkeeper

Quote Originally Posted by gtpkeeper View Post
    BP is now sold in 500 gram plastic containers, which I think is equivalent to 1.1Lb.

The last three bottles of it that I bought were all 500 gram. If I can find the info about the changes I will post it on here. (But don't hold your breath).

ok cheers
    ballkeeper

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    I believe there is a general "understanding" that you can store BP in its original container, even if this is 1kg. It certainly used to be the case that Swiss powders were only available in 1Kg tubs, but this might have changed. I have one 1kg container of Swiss No 2 and FEO raised no comment at last inspection.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

I have several containers @ 1kg via Pete Starley

No probems in storing as long as you comply with requirements etc

Cheers

Roy

Thumbs up

cheers guys ,
    ballkeeper

Quote Originally Posted by gtpkeeper View Post
    I knew I had reference to bottle sizes somewhere.
    It was hidden in my PC.......or I could have forgot where I put it.

20 July 2005

Simon Taylor
    Deputy Chief Constable
    Norfolk Constabulary,
    Falconers Chase
    Wymondham
    Norfolk
    NR18 0WW
    Dear Simon

Guidance to police services on the storage of shooters’ powders
    I am writing to you, as Chairman of the ACPO Firearms and Explosives Working Group,
    with some guidance for police Explosives Liaison Officers on the storage of
    shooters’powders (black powder and smokeless’ powders and other small arms
    propellants).
    Explosive Liaison Officers are aware of the change in the requirements to the storage of
    shooters powders. This letter gives further guidance on the implementation and
    enforcement of those requirements in the initial period immediately following the coming
    into force of MSER. I am copying it to all ELOs in England, Scotland and Wales – as
    well as to Pat Johnson of the BSSC.
    I have consulted ACPO, ACPO(S) colleagues, as well as the shooting organisations, on
    the draft of this letter.

Background and objectives
    ELOs will be aware that the introduction of the new requirements followed work done by
    HSE’s Health and Safety Laboratory in demonstrating the hazards from black powder
    stored in metal screw-top tins stored in metal ammunition boxes.
    HSE’s primary objective is to phase out the use of metal screw-top tins and metal
    ammunition boxes because these represent a significant hazard, not least to the
    shooters themselves and their families.
    HSE has recommended the use of 550g-capacity plastic containers for black powder
    and HT1 smokeless powder. The plastic containers were found to eliminate the
    explosion hazard. (However other materials such as cardboard, and other forms of
    container may also have the same effect).
    HSE understands that the importers of black powder are intending to move to supplying
    it in 550g-capacity plastic containers – at present they are supplied in 1kg containers.
    However, there may be a period of another year during which before the changeover is
    made and before stocks in 1kg containers are used up.

Legal position and enforcement
    The guidance on the use of plastic containers and wooden boxes is guidance to
    regulation 5(3)b of the regulations. This regulation disapplies the requirements to
    maintain separation distances for the storage of up to 30kg of shooters’ powders and
    300 grams of percussion caps, subject to the condition that the explosives are ‘stored in
    a safe and suitable place with all due precautions for public safety’.
    Paragraphs 411-420 of the Approved Code of Practice set out guidance on what those
    wishing to take advantage of that disapplication must do to qualify for that
    disapplication. It is essential to note that these paragraphs do not impose a requirement
    where a person is solely storing 25 kg or less of HT3 smokeless powder. (There is an
    indirect requirement for quantities of between 25kg and 30kg). This is because there is
    no separation distance requirement for this quantity. However, storage in wooden
    boxes is recommended as safer than storage in metal ammunition boxes.
    These paragraphs are applicable to the storage of HT1 smokeless powder (ie UN
    number 0160) however, HSE understands that smokeless powder of this type is not
    currently produced.
    The requirements of MSER on the storage of shooters powders came into effect on the
    26 April 2005. It is not the case that these requirements apply from the date of renewal
    of the explosive certificate.
    Shooters and other users of shooters powders have a responsibility under the
    regulations to take steps to comply with the new requirements. However HSE equally
    recognises that many of those affected will be unaware of the changes, and that it may
    also take a little time for them to either obtain a ready-made box or build their own.
    HSE’s view is that the basic principle is that where dutyholders are taking reasonable
    steps to comply with the new requirements, they should be given a reasonable period in
    which to come into full compliance.
    HSE also recognises that police forces are not in a position to visit all dutyholders to
    check compliance before the normal visit to renew their certificate.

Enforcement Action and priorities
    At this stage the emphasis of police activity should be on:
    • alerting dutyholders to the new requirements – a number of forces have either
    written to all certificate holders or are including information about the new
    requirements with renewal reminders;
    • securing compliance through voluntary informal methods (ie ‘having a quiet
    word’). While the approach taken must always at the end of the day be a matter
    for the judgement and discretion of the individual officer, formal enforcement
    action should only be considered if other options have been tried or if it is clear
    that the individual will not cooperate voluntarily;
    • advising on suitable sources of further guidance and information.
    The enforcement approach will depend on the circumstances and in particular the
    quantity of powder that is being stored and the method of storage. For example where
    black powder is being stored in metal screwtop tins this should be regarded as a more
    urgent priority for action than where it is stored in plastic containers. A large quantity
    should be regarded as a more urgent priority than a small quantity.
    In general, HSE’s view is that the priorities are to ensure the phasing out of storage of
    black powder in metal screwtop tins and in metal ammunition boxes as quickly as is
    reasonably practicable, and in particular in cases where larger quantities (ie more than
    3kgs are being stored).
    HSE’s view is that at this stage if a dutyholder has been made aware of the

requirements, then it is reasonable for the police to expect them to be able to
    demonstrate that are taking taken steps to comply with the requirements – ie placed
    an order for a box with a supplier, or are in the process of constructing the box.

Issue of explosives certificates
    While ultimately it is a matter for the judgement and discretion of the chief officer of
    police, and of the courts, HSE’s view is that the issue of an explosives certificate should
    not be normally be made conditional on obtaining a wooden box (or boxes). If formal
    enforcement action is necessary then this should be taken under the Manufacture and
    Storage of Explosives Regulations 2005 using the powers under the Health and Safety
    at Work (etc) Act.

1 kg plastic containers
    HSE has asked the Health and Safety Laboratory to carry out tests on the storage of
    black powder in 1 kg plastic containers. At this stage, while we believe that it is
    preferable to store in 550g capacity plastic containers, and welcome the moves by
    importers to move to supplying powder in this form, we believe that during the
    transitional period until that takes effect storage in 1 kg plastic containers is acceptable
    – provided that the containers are stored in a wooden box constructed according to the
    specifications set out in the ACoP (ie 18mm plywood with plywood partitions etc).

Smokeless powder
    As noted above, in the case of HT3 smokeless powder the regulations do not require
    that the powder is stored in a wooden box. However, storage in a a wooden box (or
    cupboard or cabinet) is a sensible precaution.
    It is likely that smokeless powder will continue to be sold in 1kg plastic containers for
    the foreseeable future. These powders present a much lower hazard than black
    powder. HSE has asked the Health and Safety Laboratory to carry out tests on
    smokeless powder stored in these containers. Subject to the results of these tests, HSE
    believes that storage in 1kg plastic containers should be regarded as acceptable.
    Sincerely

Andy Miller
    Head of Mines Quarries and Explosives