Thread: technique

tulliola Guest

Smile technique

as a newbie i find using open sights standing i am getting the groupings in the upper right quadrant prossibly due to the gun recoil is that normal and do you just compensate for it or is it poor technique and something which will improve? thanks ian

I assume that you are using a springer, if so then it could be your trigger technique or how you hold it. With springers the trick to accurate shooting is consistency i.e. hold and shoot it exactly the same way every shot, and hold it with the same amount of pressure each time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tulliola
    as a newbie i find using open sights standing i am getting the groupings in the upper right quadrant
    If most shots are going upper right, then you need to adjust your sights.
    If only the odd one is going off target,then that is user error (or a poor pellet), but if most are in the same place, but not where you aimed, then adjust the sight to where most of the pellets hit.
    If you can get hold of even a real cheap scope, then that would really improve your accuracy - I find I cant hit anything within 3 inch with open sights over 20yds, but I'm fairly good with a scope.
    Alan.

tulliola Guest

Talking thanks

yes its a springer (bsa superstar ) i thought it would be the recoil as the rifle is unsuported causing the problem but i will try re zeroing the sights must admit i got a scope but as its only 15 mtrs in the back garden thought it would be overkill and that the open sights would require more skill still i will get a set of seethrough mounts for it so i can use both ian

LagomorphHunter Guest

Assuming you are right handed, the left hand supports the gun, nothing else. Regards ... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C