Thread: PH .577 muskatoon

greenshoots Guest

PH .577 muskatoon

just purchased one of the above will be using a 315gr minie whats the starting load

greenshoots

You could start at about 50 grains of blackpowder.
    My friend shoots a Lee Minie bullet and uses 65 grains of blackpowder.

Good luck

what distance are you shooting at? You can use 30 grains for targets at 50 yards, you dont need to aim low and there is very little kick.

greenshoots Guest
    30 grains for targets at 50 yards
    sounds like a good starting point...

greenshoots

Dad & I have experimented with 3 different minies & several powders in our 2 & 3 band Enfields. we shoot at 100 & 200)

We have settled on Lee Minies, Starleys Medium powder & 65 grains of powder (we lightly lube the Minies with Allwoods BPL - We have tried base filling them - but it made no difference on the target)

Seems to be a good load & accuracy is better than I can shoot) We tried Swiss powder - got no better accuracy & had to sell a kidney

Any higher load (I have seen 85 grains quoted !) & the bullet is all over the target

I pre weigh my loads out into vials.

Cheers

Roy

Have a look at these articles on Managing the Enfield

http://www.researchpress.co.uk/firea...management.htm

greenshoots Guest
    I pre weigh my loads out into vials.
    got them off that evil sight £3 for 25 what caps are you using?

greenshoots

Quote Originally Posted by greenshoots View Post
    got them off that evil sight £3 for 25 what caps are you using?

greenshoots
    I got mine FREE from Boots Is use 35mm film containers - they give them to you if you ask nicely !

I use RWS top hats

Cheers

Roy

I have the two band navy and it doesnt like minnies at all, at least not the ones i have made from lead flashing and old water pipes. Have tried different lubes, powders and different weights between 50 and 80 grns but settled on 70 grns of ts2 with a round ball and patch soaked in wonderlube. Only shoot at 50 metres but this load groups nicely about 10" above point of aim. I also use the old film pots and they are brilliant. Just the right price!
    The only problem i have now is because i shoot at 50m the sights are at there lowest setting, this means your cheek is right on the stock and after 50 shots it feels like youve been smacked one in a fight.

I didn't have any luck with lighter minies in the Musketoon. I had the Lyman 325 gr mould but couldn't get consistency with it.

The best one for me has been the Lyman 577611 which casts a heavy bullet 530 gr with a thick skirt.

I only use a 50 grain load in the Musketoon.

Steve.

greenshoots Guest
    Lyman 325 gr mould
    thats the one i will be trying at the moment the rifle in bits and im wrestling with the lock is it the same dismantling procedure as a snider, as im getting difficulty in pushing the lock out......

greenshoots