Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Makarov magazine missing the gas tightening screw at base

Rayee is offline I don't need a gun; I've got an attack butterfly.

Makarov magazine missing the gas tightening screw at base

Came across a (sprayed) silver Mak, but there is no way to tighten and puncture the gas capsule. So now is my chance to replace it with something less obtrusive.

What can I use? Does anyone know the thread size, for starters!
    Toilet trained since March

Makarov magazine missing the gas tightening screw

Hi,
    I don`t know the thread size but it should be fairly simple to measure it. I would guess at around 6mm. It will be metric anyway. Any caphead machine ssrew of the correct thread would do, then you can tighten it with an allen key.

pp

I've just measured the factory screw and it's 9.85mm diameter - M10 I imagine? I haven't got anything else I know the size of though that I could try in it.

Iain

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dot View Post
    Hmm. I've spoken to rusmilitary before, and found them most dismissive and downright rude! The woman that answered the phone with a curt "hello?" made me feel uneasy to start with. shouldn't a business introduce themselves on the phone, such as "hello, Russian Military"? so I had to ask if she was Russian military, and I get the feeling she rolled her eyes as she replied...
    Then the bloke with an accent was just plain unfriendly. If ever I get a spare afternoon, and I'm in that area, I may well drive my bulldozer into their foyer. If I had a bulldozer. And if they had a foyer.

Thanks all!

Been here done that.

It isn't M10. I bought some grub screws to replace the ugly screw in mine.

If you want to tap it out (may be the only option) then I can send you a grub screw.

I have no idea what the thread is as standard but I don't think it's metric.

Not too sure what the problem was with
    http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/airpistol_mp-654K.htm
    besides their helpful attitude

but they do sell what you need >
    "Concealed bolt for locking the air bulb Price: £4-95"

far neater than the original part.

HIH
    Pete
    ULTIMATE KING RATTY ::.22 SMK QB78DL HYBRID::+QB78 D/L .25 Cal ::850 AIRMAGNUM::PISTOLS- :22 Cal Weihrauch HW80K Tactical::RAM 68 :-)

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by wildoliver View Post
    Been here done that.

It isn't M10. I bought some grub screws to replace the ugly screw in mine.

If you want to tap it out (may be the only option) then I can send you a grub screw.

I have no idea what the thread is as standard but I don't think it's metric.
    Metric threads come in 2 flavours : coarse & fine.
    Vast majority of grub screws will be sold as coarse, you need to count the threads per inch (M10 coarse is about 17, fine is about 20)

Seeing as the bottom plate is already tapped close too this size I wouldn't recommend just re-tapping in the coarse thread, you won't end up with a proper thread form.
    Probably better to go to 1/2" UNF or BSF if going down that road.
    As you're asking the question I suspect the cheapest option for you is to swallow your pride and buy the spare part.
    Plus you have'nt devalued your gun with some old grub screw hanging out the bottom.
    Last edited by harvey_s; 05-03-2011 at 09:37 AM.

A good post, thankyou

Very interesting thread, I wondered how that rusmilitary website could charge nigh on a fiver for a grub screw, now I guess that they have a captive audience due to the odd threading on it.
    Many thanks,
    Lee

Going slightly off thread....'Baikal MP-654K spare magazine / £78'

£78 for a blooming spare mag? That makes my Mak' one valuable pistol!
    "..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

I have some M10 fine bolts here I'll try one in my mak and let you know if its the right thread, I needed one for my bike but minimum order was 5

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Metric threads come in 2 flavours : coarse & fine.
    Vast majority of grub screws will be sold as coarse, you need to count the threads per inch (M10 coarse is about 17, fine is about 20)
    Not quite that simple, there are four "standard" pitches listed in my reference books for M10.

To answer the OPs question, the Mak cartridge screw thread, according to my notes when I made mine, is M10 x 1.0mm. This is also known as the 10mm spark plug thread.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by jefL View Post
    Not quite that simple, there are four "standard" pitches listed in my reference books for M10.

To answer the OPs question, the Mak cartridge screw thread, according to my notes when I made mine, is M10 x 1.0mm. This is also known as the 10mm spark plug thread.
    My bolts are 1.25mm pitch, 1.00mm pitch bols are expensive, the cheapest i found is £5 each? fleabay item 160517634532

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by jefL View Post

There are just 2 you will ever find any commercially available fasteners for, the others are bastard sizes.

Although if it's M10 spark plug thread - you might be able to knock the middle out of an old plug, cut the thread off, file in a suitable slot for coin and make one perhaps very cheaply?