Thread: Should I shoot a pistol left handed?

Should I shoot a pistol left handed?

OK probably daft question time

I shoot my rifle left handed as I have a dominant left eye so should I shoot a pistol left handed too? Or can I shoot right handed whilst still using my dominant left eye

Thanks in advance
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    OK probably daft question time

I shoot my rifle left handed as I have a dominant left eye so should I shoot a pistol left handed too? Or can I shoot right handed whilst still using my dominant left eye

Thanks in advance
    I'm right handed and have just given up shooting rifles due to a "floater" in my right eye...I can still shoot pistol with no problems as I shoot with both eyes open...simples!!
    Used to shoot pistol as I shot rifle with left eye closed but couldn't believe how easy it was to shoot non-winking once I tried it...still a crap shot though!!!
    Eric.

Well in theory you could shoot anything anyway, but it depends how well you wish to shoot. It wouldn't be ideal shooting 'across' your body like that, so in preference I'd go with L/H grips in your case on a pistol (if you need anatomical ones). However, just try it with a pistol with ambi-grips and see how you get on with each 'technique'.

Thanks.....

.....that sounds like sensible advice.

Starting a family has put the mockers on a budding HFT hobby so I am thinking of getting a pistol and setting up a 6yd range in the garage or loft so that i can take part in UBC comps. I was considering an ambi pistol so that the good lady could have a go and hadn't thought that it would also give me the opion to try both sides too
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

i'm left handed,right eye dominant and i use right handed pistols and i do quite well.

find a method you are comfortable with and enjoy your pistol shooting,practice will help sort your accuracy out

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Try it different ways: see what works best for you.

And remember, that's what works for YOU. What works for one shooter may or may not work for another.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Pistol shooting is normally done with both eyes open, so it shouldn't be a problem.

For rifle shooting with opposite handed eye (?) it can help to patch out a lense on your shooting glasses. (You don't need a complete patch, just a small black sticker in the centre will do.)
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!