Thread: Acceptable or sacrelige?

JerryD is online now Will only use cherry lipbalm

Acceptable or sacrelige?

I have a couple of Webley Service MkIIs in my collection. One (0.22) is a perfect set (barrel and action serial numbers match) the other (0.177) has different serial numbers. Both shoot, but the 0.22 isn't very clever in it's breech lock-up. The 0.177 is a tighter action, but the brown patina on the trigger assembly is faded, the lettering isn't so clear and the blueing on the barrel is patchy, but smooth under the fingers.

I'd like to get the 0.177 up to full working status, and get Shaun at ISP to do me a restoration. He did a superb job on a Mk1 restoration, even restoring the screwheads and the original stampings. The aim (no pun intended) would be to use it for informal 6yd bell target at the club.

Will this be classed as a huge mistake, or an OK move given it's not a perfect match?

(see signature for the guns in their current state, the one at the top is the 0.177).

Jerry

If you have no intention of selling it Jerry i'd say go 4 it..& put it to good use. I don't think you would ever get the gun + profesional restoration costs back if sold on..but if it's your's to keep & use...do as you want to mate..you are only here once,it's not a rehersal..

As a collector, I prefer guns in their original 'unmuckedaboutwith' state, but if it's a gun you want to use and it's not in a particularly good condition, then why not restore it to as good a condition as possible, as you'll feel a lot happier using it than you would using a decrepit looking rifle.
    Shaun will do a superb restoration job, but the rifle will emerge from his workshop in such a condition that you won't want to use it for fear of getting it dirty.
    The 'Plum' colour on the trigger block is an original feature, as it's the result of the salts in the original blueing process reacting with the different steels in the make up of the rifle.
    Not all 'Service' rifles have this feature, and some Webley Juniors have a similar feature.
    I've got a 'Service' that I had refinished as it had virtually no original finish. It's been converted to a PCP and I intended to use it, so wanted it to look half decent.

hi,just finished a complete mechanical and cosmetic restoration on a mk11 service and although i say so myself very pretty she is too..i agree with previous posters,go for it.its your gun ,have it how you want it,i do.i would not mess with an old gun that had a good mount of remaining blue or a nice even patination but as i dont intend to sell my guns i have them how i want them.[and yup ,the trigger guard came back from the hot caustic blue plum coloured]...cheers ..greasemonkey
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

Similar problem

My first mk2 Service in .177 was purchased as a 'in need of a refurb' back in the 70's from Bill Eastwood. Matching numbers but rusty as f@k and missing the trigger sear, spring, piston ring etc. Over the years it's been turned into a shooter with me making most of the parts as time permitted. It now also sports a .25 carbine barrel machined from a rifled blank ( thanks Paul for the idea ).
    So what to do with it? Well it's a shooter primarily so it needs protecting as it's been bare metal, well oiled, but could do with a reblue. However it's still to be used not just looked at. I have others for that.
    One option is to have it done by an expert but the temptation, as mentioned, is to not use it. The other is to do a cold blue yourself. That way it can be used without fear of ruining it and regretting the money spent. If it looks manky over time, maybe then bite the bullet and spend the money.
    The cold blue as a starter is what I've decided to do.

Carl

Guns are meant to be shot: I'll be phoning Shaun this week then!

Jerry

Hi fellow vintage collectors, could you give me the number for Saun at ISP as I have a couple of vintage pistols to re finish. I have just obtained a Webley Service serial number S2001, it has the new central located peep sight but still has safety catch. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by vintagwebleyman View Post
    I have just obtained a Webley Service serial number S2001, it has the new central located peep sight but still has safety catch. Thanks.
    That's an interesting serial number, as it's the first of the third series of 'Service' rifles.
    Nice find.

Once saw No. 2000..

Now that would be a nice pair to acquire; last of the second series and first of the third.