Thread: Scope for Win M52 target rifle

Scope for Win M52 target rifle

I am thinking of buying a Winchester M52, target rifle. These rifles have the old style wide apart scope blocks and would have been fitted originally with an Unertl or other long tube scope. There is a guy in the USA selling an expensive base plate which would enable the use of a modern scope. Anyone have any suggestions for a modern scope which would fit the old style blocks, or a link to anyone with an old style scope for sale. I suspect that an old style scope would cost more than the rifle!

Any suggestions welcome.

Mike 95

I'm pretty sure I have one of these scopes off a Winchester target rifle somewhere. It's about 15" long and windage and elevation adjustment is done via the front ring/mount. The base are quite far apart as I recall at least 6"

Win 52

PM sent.

Mike95

Mike,

There's abosolutely no modern scope that will work on the scope blocks of a M52. You either have to use a vintage scope (Unertl, Lyman Super Targetspot, Fecker) or get a base such as the Viani:

http://personal.swayzee.com/jayb/Viani/Win52a.jpg

http://personal.swayzee.com/jayb/Viani/Win52b.jpg

The best place to find vintage scopes is still E Bay . The prices these days keep on going up though....

Hope it helps,

Paul

Win M52C

When I visited the dealer I had just about made up my mind to leave the Win52 alone and go for an easily scoped Anschutz...but what did I find...an M52C drilled/tapped and fitted with some nice modern rings, ready to take a modern 1" scope. I came away with the Win 52C, Redfield Olympic peep sights etc. The gun has a "bull barrel" so the only problem I have now is finding a donkey to carry it! Thanks for the input.

Mike95