Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Bargains

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick

Broken Bargains

Why, Oh Why, Oh Why,
    Do people with something complex that's broken think it's worth more than tuppence and a balloon? and then proceed to ask a price that good working examples have sold for on the basis that, A NEW ONE that isn't shagged would cost you a lot

Even better is "I've taken it apart and can't reassemble it so it works, but you could put together the box of bits and it will be a bargain", provided, of course that your crystal ball is running sweetly and will tell you what was broken in the first place, why the owner can't spot it, if all the bits really are there and if the knackered parts are available as spares!

Hang on, if you can borrow the crystal ball that the seller has used to know that it's not scrap...

OK, got it off my chest now
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Reading between the lines, these high value faulty items for sale on Fleebay are being bought and then claimed on insurance.
    Pellet placement technician.

Maybe said "pile of bits" is "mint"

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    This IS pistol specific

Quote Originally Posted by short-carabine View Post
    Maybe said "pile of bits" is "mint"
    "110% mint +++"
    the defect of equality is that we only desire it with our superiors
    Henri Bregne 1837 - 1899

Ah,
    The Mint Card, I've seen that hand played a lot!

Another broken bargain available in sales, as Victor Meldrew would say I don't believe it!
    It would be worth the asking if the seller fixed it before selling, but it has magic grips that would cost £20 more than they're currently available new for, that must make it a bargain!
    And with parts busted & missing, I bet no one asks if the fence post that was hammered in with this one is included!

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Why, Oh Why, Oh Why,
    Do people with something complex that's broken think it's worth more than tuppence and a balloon? and then proceed to ask a price that good working examples have sold for on the basis that, A NEW ONE that isn't shagged would cost you a lot

Even better is "I've taken it apart and can't reassemble it so it works, but you could put together the box of bits and it will be a bargain", provided, of course that your crystal ball is running sweetly and will tell you what was broken in the first place, why the owner can't spot it, if all the bits really are there and if the knackered parts are available as spares!

Hang on, if you can borrow the crystal ball that the seller has used to know that it's not scrap...

Nick

Or, why do they think the value of something is enhanced because it belonged to some deceased relative of theirs?

"You're offering me $200 for that? I'll have you know, that belonged to my grandfather!"

"So, who was your grandfather? President Roosevelt?"

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Thumbs down Bargain ????????????????????

Amusing, but sadly accurate & not just on the bbs ...mike...

Nick
    speaking of broken bargains, hows the restoration of the "polished" colt 1911 going? Also were the machine etchings on the colt removed by the polishing process or are they still visible on the side of the pistol?

ATB
    Yusuf

Winds me up, particularly when you're looking for a rough pistol that works, for a paintjob!
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

Quote Originally Posted by dahaloguy View Post
    Nick
    speaking of broken bargains, hows the restoration of the "polished" colt 1911 going? Also were the machine etchings on the colt removed by the polishing process or are they still visible on the side of the pistol?

ATB
    Yusuf
    Yusuf,
    I've not got around to ordering the butchered parts yet
    Yes, all the lettering was removed by the guy with a coarse buffing wheel on a bench grinder
    Regards,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by delta1 View Post
    Winds me up, particularly when you're looking for a rough pistol that works, for a paintjob!
    It annoys me when they say something currently costs £70 when a quick google shows it's actually widely available for £50, like walnut grips for the 92!
    Arsegravy of the first water!

Nick

a.....nd the missing parts are listed as less than a tenner, when in actual fact they are over £14 plus postage.

It's almost dishonest, a description like that full of (deliberate?) inaccuracies.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Why, Oh Why, Oh Why,

Nick
    Can't blame the seller for chancing his arm with the asking price young Nick!
    But one would assume that when the penny drops that no one is interested, and the cost of repair would (Possibly) put said gun in the same price range as a brand new un-titted about with gun then the seller might reflect on his asking price.

It does beg the question.....If so much needs doing to it, what is the true condition of said item?
    "..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."